C4 Forums | Control4

Direct Netflix Control

Hi,

Just got a C4 system installed in my apartment and I have some basic questions. Sorry, couldn’t find it in the forums...

I have an Android TV box supplied by my TV provider (Israel/Partner).

The most useful app on this box is Netflix but it requires to go through multiple steps to get it working. It’s also all IR based and I prefer better more reliable control.

1. is there a setup that will allow me to have a “Netflix” button in the C4 interface and ability to control Netflix directly like I do with Spotify? (See what’s playing, pause, FF etc...)

I’m also looking for advice on:

2. What is the best smart outlets (can I use Sonoff?) I can integrate with?

3. Can I control my Xbox one and start Netflix from it using the C4 app?

4. Is there a real benefit to using Alexa app as opposed to the C4 interface?

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

Yes. Or the streaming stick if you don't need 4k.
Though maybe they have a 4k stick these days.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

I gave two options, "yes" is not a valid reply :)... Do I need Ultra? Premiere ? 

I plan to upgrade my TV so I do want 4K.

Updating... looks like most of the models have Wi-Fi only. I don't want to rely on WiFi signal. So my options are:

Roku Premiere+ - HD and 4K UHD Streaming Media Player with HDR

Roku Ultra | 4K/HDR/HD Streaming Player with Enhanced Remote (Voice, Remote Finder, Headphone Jack, TV Power and Volume), Ethernet, MicroSD and USB

I guess I don't care about fancy remote. So Premiere+ seems right. Is this what I should get?

I gave two options, "yes" is not a valid reply ... Do I need Ultra? Premiere ? 
I plan to upgrade my TV so I do want 4K.
Updating... looks like most of the models have Wi-Fi only. I don't want to rely on WiFi signal. So my options are:
Roku Premiere+ - HD and 4K UHD Streaming Media Player with HDR
Roku Ultra | 4K/HDR/HD Streaming Player with Enhanced Remote (Voice, Remote Finder, Headphone Jack, TV Power and Volume), Ethernet, MicroSD and USB
I guess I don't care about fancy remote. So Premiere+ seems right. Is this what I should get?
Yes is a valid reply. As this or this would work. That's a very testy reply.

Now you are adding more criteria, must be ethernet must not have fancy remote.

So yes, with all those requirements the premier+ looks to be your best option.

You will need the remote or the app during initial setup to enable ip control. The app is also more convenient to type in passwords etc.

Depending on what other channels you want yiu may also want to add a small memory card to store the channels locally else less frequently used channels get deleted and reinstalled when needed.

5 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

I have several Ultras and they have been flawless.

But at the end you don’t use the provided remote, right? Or do you? I’m imagining that I only use C4 app when all is setup.

you could also try the fire tv driver. i use it with my shield tv to control it and it support everything except amazon prime video launching. just have to be able to turn on adb debugging and it should work just fine.

1 hour ago, SMHarman said:

Yes is a valid reply. As this or this would work. That's a very testy reply.

Sorry, I appreciate the response and was trying to be funny.... didn’t work. 

Anyone has a US purchased Roku and can take a look and see if the power supply is 220 as well as 110?

3 minutes ago, wauser said:

Anyone has a US purchased Roku and can take a look and see if the power supply is 220 as well as 110?

fairly positive the are 120 only as they are just cheap power bricks.

It is but you will need to deal with the pin configuration.

Also easy to swap to a different adaptor the voltage and polarity and current are specified.

Update: consulted my dealer who advised me to wait for os3 and then things should work without additional hardware... so I’ll wait a bit.
Don't see how os 3 changes anything here

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SMHarman said:

And os3 is no longer something you need to wait for.

I’m new to this dealer driven model so I’m not sure how quickly they will upgrade me and if there is cost involved. 

I'm guessing that the dealer is thinking an experience button that when pressed works through those IR steps to get youtl to Netflix.

You will still be using the IR driven box etc and with programming and testing rates and you being the crash test dummy of this idea I would think that $100 of hardware and free drivers with IP control that does what it says on the tin reliably every day is the way to go, not a potentially frustrating 'we think we can make this work' solution, additionally any other roku channel you like can move to that screen, Vimio, YouTube, and so on.

It makes the UI/UX so much more efficient.

Similarly in the US if you want cable, historically steering the user to a Tivo box gave a better user experience and fewer problem calls than making the IR cable box work perfectly. The right hardware saves lots of frustration later.

Got it. The whole dealer concept is starting to frustrate me. How do you guys do changes to your system? Are you your own dealers? 

Find a remote dealer on here.

Also Composer HE

Honestly once set up you don't make changes as often as you think.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:34 PM, SMHarman said:

And os3 is no longer something you need to wait for.

The dealer mentioned they are still doing some testing and waiting for some bug fixes. 

The dealer mentioned they are still doing some testing and waiting for some bug fixes. 

How big is your system? From post 1 it reads as a pretty small system that the bugs and quirks won't impact.

You don't have 7+ touch screens or intercom or...

Archived