C4 Forums | Control4

Looking for NVR suggestions

jfh

I want to add some additional IP cameras and an NVR to my system.

considering a Luma 510 NVR but looking for other better and/or less expensive options.  I will need to support 10 cameras and feed output into a video matrix.

my current cameras are a Luma 300, 500 and some older Hikvision cameras.  Looking to add some Luma 710s for Driveway and front door/entryway cams.

appreciate any advice

If you have a Synology or Qnap NAS, run their camera software.  That’s what I always use.  You do have to purchase license per camera though. First 2 cameras are free.  When you think about it though, your running recording on quality gear with quality drives.  They run circles around any NVR piece I’ve played around with. 

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

If you have a Synology or Qnap NAS, run their camera software.  That’s what I always use.  You do have to purchase license per camera though. First 2 cameras are free.  When you think about it though, your running recording on quality gear with quality drives.  They run circles around any NVR piece I’ve played around with. 

I currently have 2 cameras recording on a Synology NAS.  I figured I would get better performance with a dedicated NAS with dedicated PoE ports.  Not true?

4 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

What performance are you looking for?  Or what don’t you like about Synology?  Same experience on a branded NVR, IMO. 

On board POe doesn’t mean squat for performance.  What NAS do you have?

Actually I’m more interested in the ability to look at synced feeds  from an iPad ap.  

I don’t have any issue with Synology.  Just thought the LUMA NVR would provide more C4 related functionality.  I like the idea of being able to run HDMI out to a matrix switch.  But if there aren’t any true advantages to using an NVR, I’m ok with Synology.

If I stay with Synology I would move the cameras from an old DS413 to a dedicated DS918+ or similar rack mounted version.

Synology does sell a decoder with an hdmi out.  Gives you the same GUI you see from the browser.  Really good product and reliable.

With that said, I still prefer the NAS for the multi-functionality it can do.  You can spend more for the extra bays and better drives.

Overall, if you want simplicity into a C4 system, LUMA certainly would be the easier implementation.  More streamlined because of ready made drivers. 

Running Blue Iris on a VM in a Linux box. There is a lot you can do with the software, very flexible and should work with just about any IP camera.  Also has a iOS app that works pretty will. 

Archived