C4 Forums | Control4

Apps in your Watch List?

Just wondering how everyone out there handles their Watch-List.

It used to be simple - each watch list item was a physical source such as Sky TV, DVD, Apple TV, NetGear etc...

But now we have multiple apps on one source such as NetFlix, LightBox, YouTube and various other local apps.

Should I have a source in my watch list called 'Lounge TV' and then navigate manually to select the app I want to use?

Or should I have each app as an item in my Watch List and have C4 automatically open this app?

I will probably go with a combination of both - ie: Netflix has a mini driver so I can have the icon on my navigators.

What are the pros and cons

How does everyone else handle this?

Thanks.

I’m a fan of activity-based intuitive interfaces. I always think first of a guest struggling with a remote or having to work a touchpad.

In my home, on the Watch side, I have television (TiVo, in my case) first, then apps ... in order of my family’s watching habits ...followed by devices toward the bottom. Coming from a Harmony system years ago, I even rename my devices with the word “Watch” in front. (Watch TiVo, Watch Netflix.. etc). Same on the Listen side. But that’s me. I seriously think there’s no right or wrong. A lot of techy guys don’t care so much about intuitive interfaces, but I always try to dumb it down. I even name lighting similarly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

Just wondering how everyone out there handles their Watch-List.

It used to be simple - each watch list item was a physical source such as Sky TV, DVD, Apple TV, NetGear etc...

But now we have multiple apps on one source such as NetFlix, LightBox, YouTube and various other local apps.

Should I have a source in my watch list called 'Lounge TV' and then navigate manually to select the app I want to use?

Or should I have each app as an item in my Watch List and have C4 automatically open this app?

I will probably go with a combination of both - ie: Netflix has a mini driver so I can have the icon on my navigators.

What are the pros and cons

How does everyone else handle this?

Thanks.

Hi I'm in Auckland too.

I have physical devices in watch list like Roku, DVD, etc but recently I renamed the 'TV' device in Composer to 'Netflix and Apps' in the Watch-List....and I programmed that so that when it's selected, it switched to TV etc, pauses, then selects the apps button on that TV....and goes straight into the apps where Netflix, Lightbox and others are. 

This helps a hell of a lot when we have family/guests staying with us, as they have no idea how to access Netflix etc because the remote is a C4 one with no 'apps' button.

C4 owners know exactly what buttons do, what the coloured buttons do, but I feel for guests because they don't have a clue. So I have to show them.

But, what I did above makes it a lot easier now.

1 hour ago, roger said:

Hi I'm in Auckland too.

I have physical devices in watch list like Roku, DVD, etc but recently I renamed the 'TV' device in Composer to 'Netflix and Apps' in the Watch-List....and I programmed that so that when it's selected, it switched to TV etc, pauses, then selects the apps button on that TV....and goes straight into the apps where Netflix, Lightbox and others are. 

This helps a hell of a lot when we have family/guests staying with us, as they have no idea how to access Netflix etc because the remote is a C4 one with no 'apps' button.

C4 owners know exactly what buttons do, what the coloured buttons do, but I feel for guests because they don't have a clue. So I have to show them.

But, what I did above makes it a lot easier now.

I have this as an option too - mine is called 'Lounge TV' and it simply goes directly to the Apps menu and allows full control of the TV so you can select Youtube, Netflix or what ever.

I also have 'Netflix' as an option in the watchlist - but all this does is load the app on the TV then return the room to 'Lounge TV' 

I'm yet to decide if I add all the apps as options in the watch list, might wait for the family to determine the value of it...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.