C4 Forums | Control4

40ft (12m) LED stripe - how ?

Germs

23 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I used some cheap RGBWW LED lights from Amazon and some cheap DMX dimmers, along with the driver and DMX device from BlackWire. Works awesome. I’ve got a bunch of it but you can see some here. Lights up whatever color I want. 

B7DB1F9A-C917-4CAC-B9FC-152AB853D30A.jpeg

Would you mind listing all of the parts, etc you used for this project?  Hope that isn't too much trouble!

Not too much trouble at all. 

LED lights

DMX Dimmers

Power Supply

Wire

DMX Controller

Control4 Driver

It’s a best practice to use a dimmer for each strand of lights. You can get two, but you’ll start to get voltage drop towards the end of the strip. 

They have DMX dimmers that have multiple outputs/channels too. This is my only experience with it, but it turned out awesome! We also have lights that go around the backside of the screen that light up the walls around it, and some lights under the bar at the back of the theater. It’s a nice touch. 

It took me way more time than I think it should have to educate myself on DMX. I’m far from an expert on it, but happy to help however I can. 

Thanks!  A few of those links appear to be broken.  My use case is most likely indirect lighting around crown molding for a room.  
Instead of joining them together you will need to inject control and power every few meters. Think of crown moulding as 4-6 separate light installations with their own power supplies.

With DMX, you can put them on the same channels and all will control as one light fitting.

15 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

Instead of joining them together you will need to inject control and power every few meters. Think of crown moulding as 4-6 separate light installations with their own power supplies.

With DMX, you can put them on the same channels and all will control as one light fitting.

Yep, that’s exactly what I did. 

1 hour ago, LollerAgent said:

Thanks!  A few of those links appear to be broken.  My use case is most likely indirect lighting around crown molding for a room.  

Sorry about that - I just copied the links from my Amazon Orders. I’ll go back and get functional links later. 

29 minutes ago, SMHarman said:
41 minutes ago, blackfiveo1 said:
Why did you use for the corners to do 90 bends?

As I said above you don't need to do corners. Each wall has its own power and own run.

Do you power cable back to one central DC power supply or something?  Do you also need one cable for control back to a DMX controller?  Sorry, I know I need to RTFM.

I did bend the corners, but it’s easy to do - the tape just bends the corner. 
And yes, you need 1 either 4 strand or 5 strand (depends on whether it’s RGB or RGBW) for each strip of LED’s. I home ran them to a panel, and in that panel I put the dimmers and the power supply. 

Any pics of the panel, I’d love a nice panel to run all my rgb too it’s just a big rats nest in my closet

Mine went onto a din rail in a c4 panel.

White on the right is 4 core cable to the led tape.

Yellow is the com cable for try dmx bus

Black and white on the left is 110 for the transformers.

LV and HV is mostly separated. The transformers have LV and HV on the same side so it's not perfect.

af05d52001e14fd94b56a767149c0353.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.