C4 Forums | Control4

Help understanding IP Cameras

Very noob...so be patient..

I am interested in putting some POE IP cameras into my house. I want to guide my dealer as to which cameras I want as he hasnt installed any before.

How exactly are they hooked up for viewing the video?

Camera->Cat5 carrying video->switch(?)-> ?

i.e. how does the video stream get from the camera to the tv ?

Thanks

use most any axis poe camera or poe panasonic approved cameras....

Camera->Cat5 carrying video+power->poe injector -> switch ->router

config camera with web browser for static ip

add driver in composer - enter ip and log in (if required) info

hit 'retrive image' -> refresh navigators

image can be seen using c4 gui on screen or on any touch panel

Another question: would the C4 POE injector work with the Axis or Panasonic cameras or would you need a POE injector from the IP camera manufacturer?

they would work - but axis supplies one with the camera anyway ... i got baskets of them, as we try to use POE switches instead ..

i only use axis

If I had a video matrix switch, is there a camera that is POE and also could plug into a matrix switch (i.e with a 'video out' as well) so that you could have a TV monitor somewhere that is on all the time with just that camera? (but at the same time with the Ethernet/IP so could be used with the navigator on control4 when desired?)

If I had a video matrix switch, is there a camera that is POE and also could plug into a matrix switch (i.e with a 'video out' as well) so that you could have a TV monitor somewhere that is on all the time with just that camera? (but at the same time with the Ethernet/IP so could be used with the navigator on control4 when desired?)

Yes there are camera's with IP and CCTV out if that's what you are asking. You'd have the IP going to network as usual, and then the CCTV going out to a matrix switch.

Another question: would the C4 POE injector work with the Axis or Panasonic cameras or would you need a POE injector from the IP camera manufacturer?

PoE is a standard (802.3af to be exact), which companies SHOULD follow, although not all do. The lower end Axis camera's come with little PoE boxes. The higher end ones come with PoE built in into the camera.

I've worked with Axis, Stardot, and Iq-Eye by IqInvision and I'd have to say they all have pros and cons...

those types of cameras are generally not supported by c4 though .... if you want such functionality - you would be better off to use a regular camera (non ip) and then use a axis video server (241q for example)

I have been thinking about an underground driveway sensor tied into my DSC alarm system, but now it occurs to me that a camera might be a better idea. The camera can detect motion of someone on foot as well as a vehicle, and create an alert just like a sensor can. Plus I can get the video routed to the appropriate display.

I'm just concerned that I'll be hearing alerts everytime one of the rabbits crosses the driveway. I'm wondering if the motion detection software on the Axis video system can filter small motions like that effectively?

I would love a driveway sensor, but I am worried about how difficult it would be to retrofit. My driveway is about 42 feet wide, I don't see any way to effectively get something underneath it. There is a 3 inch pipe ran under for sprinkler purposes, but I don't see how I coudl use that in any way.

I have been thinking about an underground driveway sensor tied into my DSC alarm system, but now it occurs to me that a camera might be a better idea. The camera can detect motion of someone on foot as well as a vehicle, and create an alert just like a sensor can. Plus I can get the video routed to the appropriate display.

I'm just concerned that I'll be hearing alerts everytime one of the rabbits crosses the driveway. I'm wondering if the motion detection software on the Axis video system can filter small motions like that effectively?

you can create a mask to sense motion, anything outside that masked area is ignored - i.e. anything under 2 feet tall for example

I would love a driveway sensor, but I am worried about how difficult it would be to retrofit. My driveway is about 42 feet wide, I don't see any way to effectively get something underneath it. There is a 3 inch pipe ran under for sprinkler purposes, but I don't see how I coudl use that in any way.

there are ways to get under a driveway without ripping it up - fairly easy and not even that expensive ..

you could even do it yourself with a water hose, straight high pressure nozzle and a few long rods that can connect together (1/2" conduit)

I am planning on buying BB-HCM511A for the inside of my house. I understand I will run a cat5 from my POE switch to do the video and power. How does one do the audio? Someone said they ran another cat5. The camera has a 3.5 plug in the back...how does one do two way audio with C4?

Thanks

bdo

Two way audio isnt supported at this time through Control4. If you want to hear from the cameras that have a microphone, you'll have to figure out a way to get the audio from the output on the back of the camera into something like a controller, audio matrix switch, amp, etc. to listen over the in-wall speakers.

If I have a 8 zone audio amp, I can run it to that. What cable do I need to run to the camera to do it? Someone said another cat5 but how do you run audio over a cat5?

What cameras are you trying to get the audio from?

If I have a 8 zone audio amp' date=' I can run it to that. What cable do I need to run to the camera to do it? Someone said another cat5 but how do you run audio over a cat5?[/quote']

BB-HCM511A

If I have a 8 zone audio amp' date=' I can run it to that. What cable do I need to run to the camera to do it? Someone said another cat5 but how do you run audio over a cat5?[/quote']

BB-HCM511A

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Computers-Networking/Network-Cameras/Commercial-IP-Network-Cameras/model.BB-HCM511A.S_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection

It's a 3.5mm mini-jack. Use a 3.5mm mini to RCA adapter or cable, depending on the distance it will be easier to use an adapter and run the RCA at length. You then plug the RCAs into the audio matrix switch.

http://www.cablesdirect.com/search_result3.asp?txtKeyword=Audio_RCA&txtName=3.5mm%20Stere/RCA%20Cables

Archived