C4 Forums | Control4

Activate light when opening door

xburntx

Hey everybody 

Just got composer HE installed yesterday. quite the program and looks like it’ll take some time to learn. 
What I’m looking for is... when I open my mudroom door, it triggers kitchen/living room lights on.

Thing is... I don’t want it to trigger the lights every time the door opens lol. Just once, when I get home for example.

Has anyone had a situation like this? 

thx everyone!!

Steve 

I am not in front of my computer but it sounds more like you only want to turn the light on and engage the timer when the door opens and the light is already off so the system assumes no one is in the kitchen.

Taking to the next level is to put an occupancy sensor in the kitchen and the door only triggers the light if the sensor is dormant

Right right.

So, I have a motion sensor as part of my alarm system which is integrated to my c4 app in my kitchen which I want to take advantage of.

I also have the door sensor integrated.

So yes, if occupancy is null, mudroom door opens, activate kitchen lights to 100%. But only once, not every time the mudroom door is open.

If that makes sense

21 minutes ago, xburntx said:

Right right.

So, I have a motion sensor as part of my alarm system which is integrated to my c4 app in my kitchen which I want to take advantage of.

I also have the door sensor integrated.

So yes, if occupancy is null, mudroom door opens, activate kitchen lights to 100%. But only once, not every time the mudroom door is open.

If that makes sense

You may need something a bit more complex.  Do you enter this area with a c4 compatible remote fob or a door lock that works w c4?

if a door lock you can have your own personal code and if the time is between 5-6pm and it’s a weekend and that code is used the lights will trigger.  Or just create a unique code that if you want the light to trigger use code A, don’t want the light to trigger use code B

42 minutes ago, xburntx said:

I enter the area through a man door from the garage. It's on a sensor for my alarm system which is also programmed in the c4. So not sure if the c4 can detect open sensors through the alarm system or not?

I have mine setup to turn on the garage and mud room lights when I open the garage door only if the alarm is armed. The door sensors are seen by C4 from the alarm integration. 

This will be fairly easy to do but you are going to have to define what you mean by “once”.  Once an hour? Once every 3 hours? Once a day? Once a week?   

There are many ways to do this (the following would work assuming “once” is defined as something less than or equal to once a day). Assuming you want this once every 3 hours,  you could do the following:

1. Set up a timer called MudRoomDoorHasActivated - set this up as a 3 hour timer.

2. When the mud room door opens, Check if the timer is running. If it is, do nothing.  If it is not, then start the timer and turn the lights on.

The problem you will then have is that the logic will work irrespective of whether you are entering or exiting the mudroom... this could be dealt with by considering the time of day or recording the recent state of motion sensors on both sides of the door and applying logic to this.

Other options are to look and see whether an alarm is active or use the security lights driver which (I am told) makes much of this easier to do,

If once is defined as once a day or once during a certain time period then using schedules to change a variable would be much better than using a timer.

9 hours ago, xburntx said:

I enter the area through a man door from the garage. It's on a sensor for my alarm system which is also programmed in the c4. So not sure if the c4 can detect open sensors through the alarm system or not?

Does that door from garage have a c4 door lock?  What remote do you use to open the garage door?

Hey everybody 
Just got composer HE installed yesterday. quite the program and looks like it’ll take some time to learn. 
What I’m looking for is... when I open my mudroom door, it triggers kitchen/living room lights on.
Thing is... I don’t want it to trigger the lights every time the door opens lol. Just once, when I get home for example.
Has anyone had a situation like this? 

thx everyone!!
Steve 

1. Make a Boolean variable called "KITCHEN_LIGHT_TRIGGERED" and set up a scheduler that resets it to false every morning.

2. When the door contact sensor triggers, check to see if it's evening, if the variable is false and whether the lights in both rooms are off—if yes, turn on the lights and set the variable to true.

This will have the effect of only triggering the lights once per day when the door opens, but only if it's after the sun has set and the lights were turned off before. I assume that that's what you want to do?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KWD said:

I have mine setup to turn on the garage and mud room lights when I open the garage door only if the alarm is armed. The door sensors are seen by C4 from the alarm integration. 

Oh I like that!

If security is armed, no motion on sensors... then when I open mudroom door the lights come on... That doable? 

1 hour ago, Aayush Arya said:

Which specific model?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I'm thinking...

If Mudroom Door is OPEN

AND

If Security System is disarmed

AND

Kitchen is not sensing motion

THEN

turn Kitchen lights on

Is that appropriate?

thx

5 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I would change this to kitchen has not sensed movement for 5 minutes.

This can be achieved by starting a 5 min timer every time the kitchen motion sensor senses motion and then checking against the timer instead of the sensor in your logic above.

so essentially, the sensor is checking every 5 minutes regardless if someone is home or not, and every time someone creates motion the lights are going on?

I'd leave out the security system check...if armed, you may want a light on too, it would let a thief think someone is home.

That said, I do something very similar:     When a garage door opens, at night, the lights are turned on.

We also do the reverse - when a door leading outside is opened at night, we turn on some extra outside lights. Some of these (ie the porch) have timers on the lights.

1 hour ago, xburntx said:

so essentially, the sensor is checking every 5 minutes regardless if someone is home or not, and every time someone creates motion the lights are going on?

No. Every time there is motion is starts a 5 minute timer.

therefore if the timer is running then there was motion in the room in the last 5 minutes (I.e. when the mud door opens, if the timer is running, it is almost definite that it is someone exiting and not someone entering)and vice versa

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.