C4 Forums | Control4

OS 3 Sessions slow to respond

fairly new to the forums so be kind!

About six months ago I upgraded some hardware for my Control4 system that was about seven years old. Just trying to get more performance out of it. I upgraded OS 3 which I really like - except for when I go into a session for a room - through iPhone app. It seems to take a long time (3-10 seconds) for it to load. This is most frustrating when a song comes on with inappropriate lyrics for my eight-year-old and I can’t get to the session fast enough to skip or mute the song. I’ve got a ruckus network so I really don’t think it’s network related.

I’m just curious if anybody else is having similar response time issues with the app and any suggestions. I have talk to my dealer a bit about it but the response I’m getting is that’s pretty much how OS 3 has been responding.Thanks!  

Thanks in advance. 

There have been some other threads with the same complaints of load times from IOS. They have stated Android runs pretty well however, as well as the dedicated Control4 screens. All my devices are either iPads or iPhones, so I feel the pain as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, my name is Trevor Andersen - I'm a developer for Control4's mobile apps. We're aware of an issue where the iOS app has slower start up times than the android app, but other than that, they should perform similarly. If there's an issue where sessions are starting slowly for you, that's something we'd like to look at and hopefully fix before you have to go out and buy new hardware.

Would you mind giving me some details about what part of it is behaving slowly for you? A video of the problem would be helpful, or if that's not possible, a list of steps you use to reproduce the problem. From personal experience, I haven't had a lot of trouble with the sessions page starting slowly, so I'm wondering if there's something different about the device or driver you're using to start a session - so details about that would help me as well.

Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, tandersen said:

Hey there, my name is Trevor Andersen - I'm a developer for Control4's mobile apps. We're aware of an issue where the iOS app has slower start up times than the android app, but other than that, they should perform similarly. If there's an issue where sessions are starting slowly for you, that's something we'd like to look at and hopefully fix before you have to go out and buy new hardware.

Would you mind giving me some details about what part of it is behaving slowly for you? A video of the problem would be helpful, or if that's not possible, a list of steps you use to reproduce the problem. From personal experience, I haven't had a lot of trouble with the sessions page starting slowly, so I'm wondering if there's something different about the device or driver you're using to start a session - so details about that would help me as well.

Thanks for your help!

Not to hijack this thread, and I think it's a related issue, buy my Intercom Anywhere usually takes a long time to connect on my iOS device, so much so that the alert usually doesn't come until 10-12 seconds after the DS2 doorbell is pushed (rendering it virtually useless). I experience similar connect times with the C4 iOS app (typically 10+ seconds).

5 minutes ago, Jobu604 said:

Not to hijack this thread, and I think it's a related issue, buy my Intercom Anywhere usually takes a long time to connect on my iOS device, so much so that the alert usually doesn't come until 10-12 seconds after the DS2 doorbell is pushed (rendering it virtually useless). I experience similar connect times with the C4 iOS app (typically 10+ seconds).

Feel free to send me the logs from your IA and C4 apps and I can have someone take a look at them. My email is tandersen@control4.com.

10 seconds does seem like longer than I'd expect. From our metrics, I know the average local connection time for the C4 app is around 4 seconds, and I'm currently working on getting it lower.

5 minutes ago, tandersen said:

Feel free to send me the logs from your IA and C4 apps and I can have someone take a look at them. My email is tandersen@control4.com.

10 seconds does seem like longer than I'd expect. From our metrics, I know the average local connection time for the C4 app is around 4 seconds, and I'm currently working on getting it lower.

Tanderson....thank you so much for working on this.

My experience mimics most of the others who have commented. For my ios app to initially connect to c4 system it only takes about 2-3 seconds. Usually. Once I start an "activity"...say, "watch Oppo" and all components power up....I must keep my phone and app active....not turn the screen off if i expect to have immediate access to the remote functions. Otherwise, I must turn on my iphone , wait 2-3 seconds for it to connect to my system, then another 2 seconds for the "Oppo" remote to re-populate.

To some who have commented we are splitting hairs and are expecting too much. HOWEVER, before the upgrade to 3....my iphone app connected Immediately....instantaneously, the first time AND during an activity like above was in use. If I wanted to pause the movie I simply swiped my screen open and the Oppo remote was there and active. Absolutely no hesitation nor delay. This performance is what I and many others were used to for a VERY long time. I know it took a while to get it there and now more than ever expect it will again now that I know you and your team are on it!!!

Thank you!!!

No

25 minutes ago, jrdiandrea said:

Tanderson....thank you so much for working on this.

My experience mimics most of the others who have commented. For my ios app to initially connect to c4 system it only takes about 2-3 seconds. Usually. Once I start an "activity"...say, "watch Oppo" and all components power up....I must keep my phone and app active....not turn the screen off if i expect to have immediate access to the remote functions. Otherwise, I must turn on my iphone , wait 2-3 seconds for it to connect to my system, then another 2 seconds for the "Oppo" remote to re-populate.

To some who have commented we are splitting hairs and are expecting too much. HOWEVER, before the upgrade to 3....my iphone app connected Immediately....instantaneously, the first time AND during an activity like above was in use. If I wanted to pause the movie I simply swiped my screen open and the Oppo remote was there and active. Absolutely no hesitation nor delay. This performance is what I and many others were used to for a VERY long time. I know it took a while to get it there and now more than ever expect it will again now that I know you and your team are on it!!!

Thank you!!!

No

I appreciate the feedback - I can see how that would be annoying. I'll think about what we can do to make this scenario more pleasant.

1 hour ago, tandersen said:

Thanks, sent.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.