C4 Forums | Control4

Ruckus Part 2

ejn1

Hi all,

I'm still very impressed with my wireless switch to Ruckus in my primary home (5000 sq ft,  2x R650's, 1x R720).   I thought I would share a bit on my test in my second home, a 1650 sqft 1 story condo with metal frame construction and concrete floors/ceiling and exterior walls.    I have a Unifi setup here with a centrally located in wall unit cabinet with a UDM Dream Machine with built in wifi, no other AP's installed.   Its a 400Mbps download ISP WAN connection.   On the 5G Unifi, i pretty much get full 4 bar connection in every part of the house with areas getting over 300Mbps download on Iphone11 AC band with max around 350Mbps.   2G is around 50-80Mbps depending location.    I bought a used R610 and flashed to Unleashed and latest 200.9 firmware and max POE spec for the AP.   I'm honestly getting about 10% less on max speed for 5G and maybe 10% more than the UDM on 2G.    I'm actually quite impressed at how well this UDM internal 4x4 wifi built into the Router base unit is performing.   it is basically on par within margin of error and sometimes better on the 5G band than a R610 Ruckus.   Doesn't change how much I like the Ruckus but in my second home I will not be keeping it installed as the Unifi provides an easier solution with cleaner IOS app integration and control.   I will probably bring the R610 back and put in my garage or keep as a backup.   Note:  With a 1 AP setup, I couldnt test handoffs versus the two setups but I'm assuming the Ruckus would have an edge.

I know networks are important to everyone on this forum so thought I would share.

2 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Hi all,

I'm still very impressed with my wireless switch to Ruckus in my primary home (5000 sq ft,  2x R650's, 1x R720).   I thought I would share a bit on my test in my second home, a 1650 sqft 1 story condo with metal frame construction and concrete floors/ceiling and exterior walls.    I have a Unifi setup here with a centrally located in wall unit cabinet with a UDM Dream Machine with built in wifi, no other AP's installed.   Its a 400Mbps download ISP WAN connection.   On the 5G Unifi, i pretty much get full 4 bar connection in every part of the house with areas getting over 300Mbps download on Iphone11 AC band with max around 350Mbps.   2G is around 50-80Mbps depending location.    I bought a used R610 and flashed to Unleashed and latest 200.9 firmware and max POE spec for the AP.   I'm honestly getting about 10% less on max speed for 5G and maybe 10% more than the UDM on 2G.    I'm actually quite impressed at how well this UDM internal 4x4 wifi built into the Router base unit is performing.   it is basically on par within margin of error and sometimes better on the 5G band than a R610 Ruckus.   Doesn't change how much I like the Ruckus but in my second home I will not be keeping it installed as the Unifi provides an easier solution with cleaner IOS app integration and control.   I will probably bring the R610 back and put in my garage or keep as a backup.   Note:  With a 1 AP setup, I couldnt test handoffs versus the two setups but I'm assuming the Ruckus would have an edge.

I know networks are important to everyone on this forum so thought I would share.

UDM pretty much has a FlexHD AP in it... all of their "HD" AP are designed for high performance 5G and lesser about 2.4 networks. You would get about 300Mbps with a second meshed AP..  I'm not a big fan of the UDM but it does have awesome hardware for an all in one unit. 

2 hours ago, BraydonH said:

The UDM is a beast of a unit.

The value it provides for its price point is incredible. I have such a hard time even looking at pak or araknis when this outperforms them for the most part for like 1/4 of the cost.

I think Ruckus is a complete and total waste of money but at least the performance and capabilities are 100% there. I have also used Luxul in a lot of projects because their routers and switches great, APs not so much. I really find zero reason to justify ether SnapAV network brand unless the client wants heavy OVRC options. 

3 hours ago, AVNeeds said:

I think Ruckus is a complete and total waste of money but at least the performance and capabilities are 100% there. I have also used Luxul in a lot of projects because their routers and switches great, APs not so much. I really find zero reason to justify ether SnapAV network brand unless the client wants heavy OVRC options. 

I think at their List Price, the Ruckus value is not there imho but you can pickup used enterprise gear for enormous value and in many instances its like brand new.    Like I said in the thread,  in my larger home, the Ruckus is very impressive and staying put and it integrates nicely with my Unifi networking hardware and UDM-Pro.    I really like their AP's but If I had to pay $1000-$1200 per AP, I think I would happily stay with my Unifi HD APs...   I do believe that their APs and wifi controller is superior to Unifi but I did want to post how impressive the UDM performed vs a single R610... Nothing to sneeze at and not the worth the switch for my smaller home setup / wifi environment.     

I don't have the longevity yet but also i think the RUckus firmware is more stable than Unifi and Ruckus tests more prior to releases but that is just my impression so far.

8 hours ago, cdepaola said:

If you stay away from beta you'll generally be ok...  Stick with major updates unless its a security issue. 

I've been running Release Candidates for years and haven't had issues. 

Would tend to agree.  Now I don't think they have Release Candidates,  Just Beta or Release.

1 hour ago, cdepaola said:

They have RC, it’s what I’m currently running. 

1 hour ago, cdepaola said:

They have RC, it’s what I’m currently running. 

not doubting it,  I just had noticed that you cant sort firmware versions anymore by RC on the UI website.   It's just Official and Beta versions unless I'm missing it somehow.   I just scrolled back a few months on Unifi firmware releases and couldnt find a RC release on the site, only Beta and Official so my assumption was they did away with it.   I agree with you though that RC is definitely more reliable than Beta.    Challenge is now when you buy any early release hardware, it pretty much puts you on the beta firmware cycle for most items.   

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.