C4 Forums | Control4

Is my EA5 dying?

ILoveC4

I think my EA5 is dying, but wondering if any of you more experienced users have seen these symptoms and solved them before. 

The system doesn’t ever really hiccup, which is great, but there are some concerning things. First, the navigator no longer works...it just shows a black frame that flickers and bit them rapidly zooms backward out the middle of the screen then repeats. Second, my network monitor shows it fairly constantly falling offline, then coming back some number of minutes later. I’ve never experienced an inability to control the system though. Third, I had two different lights at two different times (the V3 lighting, been installed about a year) that stopped being able to be controlled. I had to leave the mesh, re-identify and then they work great. 

I’m inclined to make a call tomorrow to preemptively get a new controller and swap this one out, but if those symptoms sound like something a backup and restore can fix I’m certainly willing to try it. I just don’t want the system to go offline...especially during the next week while the family is home the entire time and every service is being used constantly. 

4 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Figured I would ask. Could always see if dealer willing to give new EA5 for a few days to trial and see if that's the problem. Or consider getting a CA10. 

I think I’m going to get a CA10 and EA5. I need the I/O of the EA5, but want the processing power of the CA10. I just hope the CA10 doesn’t follow suit with the HC1000V3 I a fortune for and then threw it away 3 years later after trying to sell it for $50.

The concerning part of your post is the HDMI output issue. I can count on one hand the number of units whose HDMI died, and most of those were highly suspected surges.

A monitor plugged into it directly still experiences the same thing? During reboot do you see Logo and loading screen?

That aside, I'd have it image updated to the latest, expecting it's been updated several times since purchase, image update may clear up anomalies.

16 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I think I’m going to get a CA10 and EA5. I need the I/O of the EA5, but want the processing power of the CA10. I just hope the CA10 doesn’t follow suit with the HC1000V3 I a fortune for and then threw it away 3 years later after trying to sell it for $50.

My CA10 has been rock solid. Love it. 

18 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I’ve had a CA10 in both my houses for over a year now and love the hardware.  Best Controller yet from C4...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.