C4 Forums | Control4

Pakedge WK-1 + NK-1 and firmware v.2 upgrades

I recently updated an NK-1 controller at a customer site to firmware v.2, and after updating, we're unable to manage the access points that the controller was previously setup to manage. The WK-1 APs were not upgraded to firmware v.2 before the controller was (they're still running firmware v.1.40), which has left them unmanageable.

Unfortunately, since the WK-1 units were managed by the NK-1 previously, they will not allow us to login to the device via the web interface. When the web interface for the WK-1 is visited, it shows "This device is managed by the NK-1", and doesn't allow display the login (username/password) fields.

I have a feeling that we're going to be required to perform a factory reset on the WK-1 units, then perform the v.2 firmware update, and finally re-join them to the controller so that they pickup the configuration again and become manageable.

Does anyone on this forum have experience with some type of backdoor access to the WK-1, or some other way to force a previously-managed WK-1 unit to allow us to login to update the firmware so that it can be managed again?

The release notes for both the WK-1 and NK-1 firmware update indicate that Ovrc is being used instead of BakPak, but the notes don't seem to provide an upgrade path (e.g., upgrade order for the devices being managed by the NK-1) for the devices, nor do they note that the WK-1 units might be left in an unmanageable state in the event that the NK-1 is updated to firmware v.2 before the APs.

The Release notes clearly state the NK1 will become an over hub once updated and you will have to manage all access points in ovrc. 

Best thing to do is factory reset the access points and update them, and then add them into ovrc. Yeah it might be a headache but it’s the simplest option.

You could also try and call control4, guessing you’re a dealer, and asking them if there’s something else they can do or know about. 

Thanks 

Muj 

Thanks for the response Muj,

You're right - it might be a headache to factory reset 27 WK-1 devices, update their firmware, and then re-join them to the Ovrc cloud so that they can obtain their configuration settings. However, I'm hoping that this isn't the simplest option.

I have reached out to Control4 support, and am hoping to hear back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 2:07 PM, Eddie Kelley said:

After enabling Wi-Fi management within the Ovrc portal, and then selecting a device, the portal is allowing the older devices to be updated to firmware v.2 remotely.

How did you enable WIFI Management? 

Enabling Wi-Fi management may require your OvrC portal to have at least one access point or controller (e.g., NK-1) added to it, but I believe that Wi-Fi Management can be enabled within the Customers section (top-left icon that resembles a silhouette of a person) > Customer Site Name > Site Settings > Wi-Fi Management (where 'Customer Site Name' is the name that you've assigned to the customer site).

• 2 months later...

I too hit the upgrade firmware option on my NK-1 and lost all the local control of the wifi network. All the wifi devices kept humming along, but since they were managed previously by the NK-1, I could not log in until they were upgraded.  I checked with Eddie to see if I could downgrade the NK-1 firmware, and sounds like it is not possible - Pakedge really needed a warning on that upgrade - and no I did not review the release notes in advance! 

After upgrading the firmware, the PW on the NK-1 changed to OVRC / OVRC, which was super confusing.

To help others, here is a quick set of steps to get your WK-1s and WK-2s back into management:

a. Setup an OVRC account 

b. Add the managed location as a Customer

c. Add the managed devices to the Customer location - I added the MAC address of the NK-1.  This then allows you to see all the devices on the network - specifically you will see the WK-1 and WK-2 devices.  Unfortunately it also shows every other device so you have to find the Pakedge devices you want to manage.

d.  Under Devices, click on each WK-1 / WK-2 and click the Update button which will upgrade their firmware

e. After updating them all, click WI-FI Management, and import all their settings, and change/update the settings as needed.  Apply the settings and you are back in business.

f. The WK-1/WK-2 devices are then managed under WIFI Management, but some individual settings can be managed under Devices by hitting the Configure button.  This includes Guest Networks which it looks like can only be managed by device at this time.

g. Then added 2 factor auth given that OVRC provides a complete window into the network that needs to be protected.

3 hours ago, Brunob00 said:

Pakedge really needed a warning on that upgrade - and no I did not review the release notes in advance! 

I second this. An advance warning would have been nice. Lots of people don’t read release notes in advance of updating. 

To @Brunob00's credit, Pakedge/Control4 did not provide any documentation that outlines the steps required to connect the NK-1 or WK-1 into the OvrC portal after upgrading to firmware v.2 to be able to resume management of the access points.

Although the firmware release notes state that the OvrC platform must be used, it (and other documentation within the Control4 portal) omitted the steps that have been provided above. That's the difference between comprehensive and non-comprehensive documentation (e.g., you can actually read about the steps required to correct management issues instead of having to use trial and error to resolve the problem).

For example, the What you need to know about the new 1.30 Wireless Access Point firmware - WK-1 / WK-2 / WX-1 document was posted to provide users information "some important things to know about the latest firmware version"... There doesn't appear to be any comparable document (that I can find) regarding the major 2.0 firmware update (i.e., like the instructions provided for the minor 1.3 update).

22 hours ago, Cyknight said:

If you don't read the release note and read first notes ... how would they warn you? Call you on your phone?

Yeah a phone call would be great! Haha

A simple pop up window warning would be nice for such a major change. Imagine if you updated your Control4 system and then after the system came back online the system was now Creston and all your passwords were no longer good. I’m sure a lot of people wouldn’t proceed with the upgrade had they received a warning message, that’s all I’m saying. 

1 hour ago, jillmark99 said:

Yeah a phone call would be great! Haha

A simple pop up window warning would be nice for such a major change. Imagine if you updated your Control4 system and then after the system came back online the system was now Creston and all your passwords were no longer good. I’m sure a lot of people wouldn’t proceed with the upgrade had they received a warning message, that’s all I’m saying. 

As a pop-up would have to be part of the old firmware - how would that happen? I suppose MAYBE if using OvrC it could be done (in fact I think it might be) but this firmware is to get it on there so would be required for a pop-up?

Look, I feel everyone's pain that had to go through this, I won't deny similar things have happened to me in the past, but in the end - it IS one's own responsibility to either read the documentation, or accept the risks if you don't. "Nobody reads the xyz" is not excuse:

ignorantia legis non excusat 😉

Unfortunately this is going to be an onsite visit with my experience with this issue.  And a phone call to Snap they have a work around to get the management off the NK1 because after the update it became a real fancy looking OVRC HUB.  Then you can log into each AP and update them one by one.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:54 AM, msgreenf said:

that's the difference between a consumer and pro.  You have to know what you are getting into before you do it...

As a C4 consumer without the advantage of documentation or dealer account, system self-management involves some serious risks. Fortunately, I read the warning on this forum and did not apply the recent NK-1/WK-1 firmware updates. It's clear Snap One systems are designed to be dealer-supported. These firmware updates provide a clear example of why, as a consumer, you really need to know what you're getting into when you purchase Snap One equipment.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 10:29 PM, Brunob00 said:

I too hit the upgrade firmware option on my NK-1 and lost all the local control of the wifi network. All the wifi devices kept humming along, but since they were managed previously by the NK-1, I could not log in until they were upgraded.  I checked with Eddie to see if I could downgrade the NK-1 firmware, and sounds like it is not possible - Pakedge really needed a warning on that upgrade - and no I did not review the release notes in advance! 

After upgrading the firmware, the PW on the NK-1 changed to OVRC / OVRC, which was super confusing.

To help others, here is a quick set of steps to get your WK-1s and WK-2s back into management:

a. Setup an OVRC account 

b. Add the managed location as a Customer

c. Add the managed devices to the Customer location - I added the MAC address of the NK-1.  This then allows you to see all the devices on the network - specifically you will see the WK-1 and WK-2 devices.  Unfortunately it also shows every other device so you have to find the Pakedge devices you want to manage.

d.  Under Devices, click on each WK-1 / WK-2 and click the Update button which will upgrade their firmware

e. After updating them all, click WI-FI Management, and import all their settings, and change/update the settings as needed.  Apply the settings and you are back in business.

f. The WK-1/WK-2 devices are then managed under WIFI Management, but some individual settings can be managed under Devices by hitting the Configure button.  This includes Guest Networks which it looks like can only be managed by device at this time.

g. Then added 2 factor auth given that OVRC provides a complete window into the network that needs to be protected.

Hi, Thanks for the instruction. I try to add my NK1, but OVRC is asking me to put in a service tag, which I should find on the device, but I can't find anything like that. 

• 6 months later...

I also have shot myself in the NK-1 controller by upgrading the firmware. I have read the posts about creating an ovrc account and adding devices. I created an account, and tried to add the NK-1 device. This is where I am stuck. My NK-1 does not have a label that has a service tag. It has mac Ids which does allow the device to be found but then asks for service tag that a appears to be missing in action.  Does anyone know a work around (I did try to use the serial number, but no go). I do not have a dealer to call because once upon a time we were a dealer, but no longer.

• 3 months later...
On 3/11/2022 at 4:42 PM, Frustrated-Rick said:

I also have shot myself in the NK-1 controller by upgrading the firmware. I have read the posts about creating an ovrc account and adding devices. I created an account, and tried to add the NK-1 device. This is where I am stuck. My NK-1 does not have a label that has a service tag. It has mac Ids which does allow the device to be found but then asks for service tag that a appears to be missing in action.  Does anyone know a work around (I did try to use the serial number, but no go). I do not have a dealer to call because once upon a time we were a dealer, but no longer.

It would help if we could get an answer to this and see it

OK - I just checked my setup.  I do not recall that the Service Tag was required when I set up my system, however OVRC does continue to evolve.  When I look at the physical NK-1, I do not see a Service Tag number documented.  However, when I log directly into the device through OVRC, the Service Tag that OVRC displays is the same as the Serial Number.  The Serial number is documented on the bottom of the device above the MAC address.  Make sure you include the dash, and use zeros, not Os.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.