C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Lighting Keypad Config

Primary Bedroom

PREVIOUS: had a 3-way switch configuration with a switch next to door and switch next to bed controlling lights.

NOW: Have a ADP-120 dimmer switch next to bed, and C4-KA aux keypad - looks just like a ADP-120 (just on and off) (not to be confused with the configurable keypad C4-KC120 with up to 6 buttons)

WANT: C4-KD120 next to bed (with 6 buttons), and a C4-KC120 (with 6 button) next to door

QUESTION: Can a button on the C4-KC120 have a binding to the load controlled by the C4-KD120 such that it will pretty much still work like a 3-way?

AND: Can the button that is binded to the load on primary dimmer keypad be used for PRESS DIMMING (where you hold the button to dim)?  If not, why does this work on the C4-KD120 for buttons that are bound to other loads?

QUESTION: Can a button on the C4-KC120 have a binding to the load controlled by the C4-KD120 such that it will pretty much still work like a 3-way?

yes it can. Pretty simple in composer. You can program just about any c4 switch to do something when you tap once, then something different when you tap twice, and 3 times and all the way up to 4 times . Either in connections and then bind it or in programing 

AND: Can the button that is binded to the load on primary dimmer keypad be used for PRESS DIMMING (where you hold the button to dim)?  If not, why does this work on the C4-KD120 for buttons that are bound to other loads?

yes to this question also,  as long as some sort of  c4 dimmer is controlling the load, you can program any other c4 switch to dim that load (technically dim the c4 dimmer).  You 100% can do this in composer pro, and I think you can do it also in composer homeowner addition 

Hope that helps and good luck 

20210430_162232.jpg

I hear ya LOL! so many times I have ran wires or hooked up something that could have been done in 1/2 the time and 1/4 of the materials by just using Control4 or Lutron caseta, but that's what you get when you have an electrician for over 25 years and now adding home automation and AV onto my resume lol. I now have done this many times when I dont feel like getting into the attic and running a 3 wire for a 3-way system. I will use a control4  switch pr an essentials c4 switch and then program it to do what I want or bind it to another light. I even did that in my own house for my kitchen lights. I already had a 3-way system from one side to the other going into the living room, but my daughter always leaves the kitchen lights on at night so she can see to go to the other side of the house to her room. She is to lazy to use the app or touch screen in her room to turn the light off, so I had an outlet in that hallway near where she walks by, so i snaked a wire 3 ft up from that outlet and added an old work box. now it has the hot, neutral and ground. Installed a essentials dimmer (C4-V-FPD120-WH) and then programmed it to do what I wanted it to do when I tap once on the top (turn kitchen lights on), tap once on the bottom (Turn kitchen lights off),  even tap the top twice to trigger a macro like a goodnight or all off or anything you want. For around $60 ( the c4 essential, 1 gang old work box, and a 3ft piece of wire), I just made a 4 way system and never had to go into the attic and snake wires, never had to change out the other switches. Plus i now have the ability to tap once, twice, 3 times and 4 on the top and same on the bottom. That dimmer, or switch can now do 8 different things. Including holding the top or bottom for dim up and dim down, that makes 10  holly crap I love Control4 and home automation lol 

if you need any other help, even how to program and or bind, you can private message me or email me at Nick@wanerka.com. Not looking to charge you pr anything, just looking to help out and expand practicing. I can always use more practice programming Control4. I came from a URC and Lutron automation background, and now I am all about Control4 and never looking back. Well maybe still adding Lutron ra2 select, caseta and Radiora 2 into control4. But I am leaving URC behind (Universal remote control). They do alot of what C4 does, even has a way larger ir data base, but c4 beats them out in so many other ways.

anyways if you need anymore help, please dont hesitate to email me

Nick Wanerka 

Wanerka Electric of Florida

+

Wanerka Security

Nick!  Thanks very much for the responses.

On the Keypad Dimmer (C4-KD120) I have it configured with 6 buttons.  Top button controls the load it is connected, press to toggle the load or press and hold to dim it.  The next button down we previously had binded to an Adaptive Phase Dimmer (C4-APD120) that is hidden in the media closet and controls another load of lights in the same room.  When reconfiguring this keypad I broke the connections.

Previously the 2nd button down on the Keypad Dimmer would turn on the load with 1 touch and then dim the load by pressing and holding - just like the top button which is natively controlling/dimming the load connected to the Keypad Dimmer.  My new dealer cannot figure out how to recreate this.  We can make the 2nd button on the Keypad Dimmer toggle the load on and off, but not Press to dim.  Is there something specific we should be doing in Connections or was this behavior programmed somewhere else?

Any idea on how to bind a button on a configurable keypad to a remote keypad dimmer (APD) and make the button on the programmable keypad such that when you hold it that it dims?  Connections does not seem to be able to handle that unless I am missing something - it just toggles the load on and off - holding the button has no dimming effect.  Is it otherwise done under programming as a macro?  Any ideas?

Any cases of this not working properly when the configurable keypad has been reconfigured?  That is what I am currently facing.  The button on the configurable keypad has been bound to the ADP dimmer and is using the toggle setting. Touch 1x and it turns on.  Touch 2x and it turns off.  Touch and hold, and unfortunately it does not dim...

It really sounds like the dealer has that button programmed to toggle the load, not bound in the connections tab.  If he does indeed have it bound, delete the drivers and start from scratch, something is corrupt.  Also, it sounds like it from the thread, but is that light definitely dimmable? 

Ok everyone. Here is my tutorial on how to do this.  This might not be "the right way" to accomplish this, but it does work. 

Ok hope this helps: I am going to explain one of my wired (red wire to a light) 6 button dimmers. I have 4 buttons on it. 1st button is the hallway light(red wire controlling the load) : in system design I labeled it hallway, button behavior is keypad, led behavior is follow load. 

Under connections tab: I binded the hallway button with keypad dimmer light 3(which is my 6 button- now 4 button dimmer in the hallway)  this will turn the hallway light on and off and if i hold it down it will dim up and down

2nd button controls another's room dimmer . "Nick's office" so it will toggle on/off another dimmer switch in another room 

In system design: labled it nicks office. Button behavior is keypad  and tue led behavior is follow connections 

In connections tab: nicks office button link is binded to  toggle button link recessed cans nicks office.  

Now at the end of the hallway is another 6 button programmable switch. No red wire, it does not get hooked up to anything but hot neutral and ground . The 1st button (top one, but you can do any one of them) controls thw hallway. Like a 3 way switch. 

System design tab: the 1st button I labeled hallway dimmer , led behavior is follow connections 

Then on connections tab: the 1st button which is hallway dimmer , it says hallway dimmer button link. I then binded it to the keypad dimmer light (My 6- 4 button with red wire) , I binded it to the toggle button link .

Bam now when you tap that 1st button on the 6 button switch it turns the hallway light on and off, if you hold it down, it dims up and down.  

The second button on the 6 button switch says back recessed cans and it controls lights in another room that is mainly controlled by its own dimmer in that room .

System design: labeled it recessed cans (obviously only so much fits lol) , led behavior is follow connections 

Then connections tab: choose that 6 button switch and the second button is now back recessed cans button link. Bind it to the back recessed cans toggle button link on the bottom menu .

And now that second button controls on and off and dims lights in another room that is on a different switch. 

Hope that helps. I know that's a lot of info. Please let me know if that helps or if you need more assistance 🙂

Good luck

Nick wanerka 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.