C4 Forums | Control4

IR blaster/repeater question

Hi

My Denon receiver is sitting in a rack in a closet in which we keep the door open all the time

I want to get volume control of the receiver using my new Siri remote that Apple had just released

Currently, the only way to do that without setting up CEC control (which I don't want to do for various reasons) is via line of sight into the closet

Since we keep the closet door open all the time, we can get line of sight, but only if we direct the Siri remote towards the closet and low down in the rack where the receiver sits

In order to do this, one would have to sit in a certain location on the couch when watching Apple TV - if one sits in a different portion of the couch, he would be unable to obtain line of sight to the receiver

There's an IR blaster attached to the receiver currently, I'm guessing for Control4 remote control of the receiver

My question is how do I get IR control from the Siri remote to the receiver without having to do what I mentioned above

Is this a good use of case scenario for something like an IR repeater?

Do I just keep the transmitter portion out in the open in the room and the receiver portion in the rack, directed towards the receiver?

Thanks in advance

41 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Hi

My Denon receiver is sitting in a rack in a closet in which we keep the door open all the time

I want to get volume control of the receiver using my new Siri remote that Apple had just released

Currently, the only way to do that without setting up CEC control (which I don't want to do for various reasons) is via line of sight into the closet

Since we keep the closet door open all the time, we can get line of sight, but only if we direct the Siri remote towards the closet and low down in the rack where the receiver sits

In order to do this, one would have to sit in a certain location on the couch when watching Apple TV - if one sits in a different portion of the couch, he would be unable to obtain line of sight to the receiver

There's an IR blaster attached to the receiver currently, I'm guessing for Control4 remote control of the receiver

My question is how do I get IR control from the Siri remote to the receiver without having to do what I mentioned above

Is this a good use of case scenario for something like an IR repeater?

Do I just keep the transmitter portion out in the open in the room and the receiver portion in the rack, directed towards the receiver?

Thanks in advance

Using any other remote than those of C4’s is not the best User experience in my opinion, it’s one of the strongest use cases of C4.  Without going into much details the new 260 nailed it and it’s just ergonomically great, we all learn it by heart and it’s consistent across all of our devices.

An IR receiver visible to where you want to use the remote, wired to a block with a power supply, and a second emitter on the face of the receiver.

You can extend the receiver with three conductor wire, it uses power, ground, and signal.

(While there are ways to use a single emitter using diodes and such, it's more practical to use two emitters.)

So I got the doohickey linked at the bottom today and just set it up

Seems to work great and has a wide 'spread' meaning I don't even have to point the Siri remote directly at it for it to receive the signal

And, as an added benefit, my Denon had a USB port up front so I just plugged the doohickey into that for power

All in all, I'm pleased with this solution

Thanks for the help

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LC7HVHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.