C4 Forums | Control4

Help with mono audio on c4 amp/matrix

azkid

I have a single speaker in my master bath that I never really used but just now realized is not playing mono audio.  It’s clear it’s only playing left or right (not sure which).  The speaker is hooked up to a c4 8 zone amp.  All other zones have 2 speakers in each room. Is there a way in the software to send the audio to this single speaker as mono or is this a hardware thing that needs to be fixed to work properly? Sorry I don’t know much about audio. 

Hardware thing.

Most typically small rooms using a single speaker hole are done with a dual voice coil stereo speaker.
One woofer and two tweeters in one assembly, hook up both Left and Right from amp to speaker.
The dual voice coil 'monos' the bass and a separate left and right tweeter for some stereo separation.

To do it at the rack you need to combine the Left and Right RCA out of the matrix together, and send that into the amp. If it's a matrix amp, no can do.
Many will do that with a simple Y cable, but there should be a pair of resistors involved, or bad things can happen depending on the way source and amp are assembled.
This box is what you need, but I'll agree with the bad review it's described poorly. You can also make your own, several how to online.
https://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-SMC21-Converter-Isolator/dp/B07FFBJ8KR/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=rca+stereo+to+mono+adapter&qid=1624121729&sr=8-2

are you positive its just a normal speaker, and not a dual voice coil? i would pull the speaker down and check to see if it has 2 sets of speaker terminals on the back or one. if two its a dual voice coil, and if one set its a normal speaker

On 6/19/2021 at 12:02 PM, azkid said:

I have a single speaker in my master bath that I never really used but just now realized is not playing mono audio.  It’s clear it’s only playing left or right (not sure which).  The speaker is hooked up to a c4 8 zone amp.  All other zones have 2 speakers in each room. Is there a way in the software to send the audio to this single speaker as mono or is this a hardware thing that needs to be fixed to work properly? Sorry I don’t know much about audio. 

how's it wired? are both L & R used at the amp to the speaker?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.