C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless keypad option for nondimming lights

drmark12pa

Question

I am in the process of adding my C4 switches to my new home that I removed from previous home. I have come across an issue in the garage.  There are 2 sets of overhead T8 tube lights which I have converted to LED tube lights.   These are controlled by the primary switch and a three-way switch (The primary switch is next to the door leading into the garage the other switch is by the back door out of the garage).  I would like to place a configurable keypad  as you step into the garage but the  only options for the configurable keypad are the keypad dimmer and the auxillary configurable keypad (which wouldn't control the load) so I am not sure how this would work with these type of circuits.....

Any ideas on how to add a configurable switch in place of a simple switch on a nondimming circuit that is a 3 way?

5 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

there is no keypad switch option.

Could you had another gang and do a switch,and keypad in 1 spot and do a keypad in the other spot?

Not really an option to add spots.... Just was hoping I could put a keypad dimmer in place of one of the load switches and not use the dimming function.... not sure if that would work by programming one of the other buttons tying it to the load so it doesn't dim but then program a different button just to turn light on/off.

9 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

Not really an option to add spots.... Just was hoping I could put a keypad dimmer in place of one of the load switches and not use the dimming function.... not sure if that would work by programming one of the other buttons tying it to the load so it doesn't dim but then program a different button just to turn light on/off.

You can do this. I have many circuits (up to 5 or 6-way) using either a dimmer or keypad dimmer (i.e., load handling) as the primary and a configurable keypad (i.e., no load handling) as a secondary. In my case, I used the latter over the 'aux' dimmers because they're not backlit (let alone configurable for using the extra button spaces).

To make it work you need to set the range correctly in Composer (min on = 100, no ramping) on the primary, make a few connections and, depending on how you're wired, you may have to repurpose the traveler wire to get both hot/neutral to the configurable keypad(s). Happy to help more if needed.

It's not a good idea to cheat a dimmer into a switch. Sometimes you can get away with it, other times things go poof.
The way they work, even at "100%" it's not really all on, it's still dimming a little.

Swap device locations around.
Put the light and load at the back door with the switch. Then put a KC keypad at the house door location and program a button to turn on the switch?

If feed and load are in the same box, use the left over traveler (red) to move it to the other side.

image.thumb.png.bdf815abd25e4990574c027ef659268c.png) 

On 3/16/2022 at 12:33 AM, booch said:

You can do this. I have many circuits (up to 5 or 6-way) using either a dimmer or keypad dimmer (i.e., load handling) as the primary and a configurable keypad (i.e., no load handling) as a secondary. In my case, I used the latter over the 'aux' dimmers because they're not backlit (let alone configurable for using the extra button spaces).

To make it work you need to set the range correctly in Composer (min on = 100, no ramping) on the primary, make a few connections and, depending on how you're wired, you may have to repurpose the traveler wire to get both hot/neutral to the configurable keypad(s). Happy to help more if needed.

Check the tube LEDs that you put in, many are dimmable.  I have tube LEDs in my garage and they are dimmable, which solves your problems completely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.