C4 Forums | Control4

Future of cloud based integration

Rob21

Just a thought. I always try to stay away from cloud integration but sometimes you don’t have much a choice. I really hope the industry doesn’t forget about LAN control with every new IOT device having its own app today. Thoughts?

I wouldn't take it as a good baseline as I'm not an integrator/installer/tech with a good pulse of trends, but from a business model standpoint, Cloud-based API's are much smarter and easier for a business to maintain since it's much more of a SaaS model and easier to make API changes and improvements over time. I would actually prefer local control be via Serial/RS-232 since using WoL (or associated tech) is just a pain and I'm not a fan when developing for it, and IP control be cloud based, but that's just my opinion. 

18 hours ago, tmj4 said:

I wouldn't take it as a good baseline as I'm not an integrator/installer/tech with a good pulse of trends, but from a business model standpoint, Cloud-based API's are much smarter and easier for a business to maintain since it's much more of a SaaS model and easier to make API changes and improvements over time.

Yep. This seems to be the case. There are a few exceptions like Lutron who do a good job of supporting both.

22 hours ago, tmj4 said:

I wouldn't take it as a good baseline as I'm not an integrator/installer/tech with a good pulse of trends, but from a business model standpoint, Cloud-based API's are much smarter and easier for a business to maintain since it's much more of a SaaS model and easier to make API changes and improvements over time. I would actually prefer local control be via Serial/RS-232 since using WoL (or associated tech) is just a pain and I'm not a fan when developing for it, and IP control be cloud based, but that's just my opinion. 

Also processor intensive stuff is easier to do over the cloud which I guess is why stuff like voice recognition is done that way.  The more stuff like voice recognition, facial recognition, and other AI stuff becomes part of HA systems then the more we will depend on the cloud.

A lot of products these days are effectively hybrid solutions which are both cloud and local, even new ones.

Developing solutions which rely the cloud is greater risk imho (especially lighting or anything to do with safety). It's easier to maintain in some ways, but in others (like the requirement to maintain compatibility with every ancient API), more difficult

Particularly with the growing use of country wide firewalls too which could cause issues, I don't foresee local control getting completely removed. Products will probably only integrate them more (like c4 with Alexa).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.