C4 Forums | Control4

Door Station email ability uses gmail's less secure authorizations, but gmail plans to discontinue on 5/30/22

The door stations use gmail's less secure account authorizations when sending outgoing emails. But gmail is discontinuing this on May 30, 2022. Is there a workaround planned to allow door stations to continue sending emails as of June 1?

Gmail's Less secure apps & your Google Account notification in help states:

To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

Please note this deadline does not apply to Google Workspace or Google Cloud Identity customers. The enforcement date for these customers will be announced on the Workspace blog at a later date.

Found this.... (nice of them to provide step by step instructions)
https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039461654-How-to-Generate-an-APP-Password-in-Gmail-Email-Account

Short story, you'll setup a specific password in your Google email account for each 3rd party app to use, rather than 3rd party apps all using your main gmail password.

Nice sleuthing and discovery, RAV! I followed your link and followed those instructions, generated a unique "control4"  app password, and in the door station property's password field, replaced my account password with the generated app password. Tested, and success! :) so far, so good!

Hopefully, come June 1, this will remain supported by gmail, and not be under the umbrella of what they plan to discontinue as third-party apps that sign in to a goggle account using only username and password. 

My interpretation of Google's statement "If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it" implies that as of June 1, an app's access needs to be manageable from Google's security page/tab that manages third party access, where one may determine and manage an app's access to your Google Account data. So, I am under the impression that by using the account username and password (which gives "all in" access), even when using a generated unique app password, isn't going to meet these security standards, since we can not determine or revoke this app's access from Google's "app with access" management page.

It's a fair question, but I'm not sure it will even be affected. You aren't actually 'signing into' the google account with the email notification - you're just signing into the SMTP server to send an email.

Similar to using Outlook to send/receive gmail. If no update to outlook is needed, I would expect it likely this setup won't need anything either.

• 1 year later...

Once again, my door station has stopped sending a snapshot email.

I am still configured to send via smtp.gmail.com and I generated a new app password (https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords) and replaced the door station's SMTP Server Password field with the new app password, in case the password from last year had expired. 

Is the capability to send a snapshot email from the door station still supported? I have experimented with updating all fields but so far I have no success. From the door station's browser page and the Email Sending Diagnostics window, all I get as a clue is this output:

Email created.
Snapshot attached.
Sending started.
Test email FAILURE.

Technically, yes sending snapshot from the DS is still supported: gmail however doesn't really support these types of setups anymore: you may have to look at an alternate email provider (ie use your ISP email possibly, or yahoo, something - I haven't tried any of them so can't be sure what would and wouldn't work)

Thank you Cyknight for your help!

Can the door station support SMTP SSL port 465? or would a software update or a newer driver support SSL? My door station HW version is 220v3 and the software version is  2.25.0.34.7. I don't know how to determine what my driver version is. I have only composer home, not pro.

I tried several email services, including ATT ISP's email, and they seem to support only SSL port 465.

My driver documentation provides only info to setup using port 587.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.