C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless audio distribution to get audio from C4 controller in rack to rooms in house?

zaphod

I will need to replace HC-800s in a few rooms of my house to be able to upgrade to the newest OS.  The biggest impediment I have is that I require audio sources in a few rooms to use C4 audio playback from services like Spotify.  In some instances I can just use an audio balun over ethernet to get audio from my rack to a local amplifier in a room.  There are other solutions for IR that should work well for around $100 or so to replace the IR function of an HC-800 like some of the Global Cache products.

But what about rooms where I don't have an available ethernet drop?  Are there wireless audio distribution solutions that don't introduce a noticeable latency?

On Amazon I see products like this that can distribute audio as well as composite video.  Anyone use anything like this or other solutions.  https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Sender-measy-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B07L9PKCJL/

6 hours ago, zaphod said:

Are there wireless audio distribution solutions that don't introduce a noticeable latency?

Nothing we've worked with or tried that is low cost has worked without a noticeable latency. Not the end of the world for isolated rooms, but any situation where more than one room is playing the same source.....

In the end, C4 controller is the way to go, others work, but cost as much, and it still becomes a clunky backward way of doing it. Maybe some EA3's can be picked up for little? Don't recommend EA1's with hdmi extractors for this as sync control is not great with HDMI, otherwise Core1's....

True, but then give me an option to just have an audio endpoint. 

I am running more ethernet cable in my attic right now so I should be able to negate the need for a couple of controllers by just using audio, and potentially IR, over ethernet.  Then I can just run the RCA out from a matrix switch in my rack to various rooms with amps via a balun.

Currently I have 4xHC-800 and one EA-3.

I do require audio and IR in a few rooms but I have some Global Cache GC-100 devices that can do IR, relay, sensor and serial.  So these could replace all of the functionality of the HC-800 except audio source.  In all except one room I will be able to get audio from the rack to the room's local amp using audio over ethernet via baluns. I will want at least a second controller to act as a ZAP since I have about 130 Zigbee devices and the recommendation is 70 per Zap.

What is the max recommended Zigbee devices per mesh on the Core-3 and Core-5?  Is it still 70?

54 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Currently I have 4xHC-800 and one EA-3.

I do require audio and IR in a few rooms but I have some Global Cache GC-100 devices that can do IR, relay, sensor and serial.  So these could replace all of the functionality of the HC-800 except audio source.  In all except one room I will be able to get audio from the rack to the room's local amp using audio over ethernet via baluns. I will want at least a second controller to act as a ZAP since I have about 130 Zigbee devices and the recommendation is 70 per Zap.

What is the max recommended Zigbee devices per mesh on the Core-3 and Core-5?  Is it still 70?

Do you have an audio matrix? Do you have to have separate audio streams for each area?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.