C4 Forums | Control4

Remote connection issue with EA5

Leonard1105
Go to solution Solved by Leonard1105,

This doesn't make any sense to me.  I'm full out on Ubiquiti here and have not had any remote connection issues.  Granted my setup is different, but I can't understand why the UDM would be giving you issues.  Are you running IDS/IPS?  By chance is the dealer's IP blocked as a result?

9 minutes ago, Scrib said:

This doesn't make any sense to me.  I'm full out on Ubiquiti here and have not had any remote connection issues.  Granted my setup is different, but I can't understand why the UDM would be giving you issues.  Are you running IDS/IPS?  By chance is the dealer's IP blocked as a result?

I was running Country Restrictions, Threat Management (detect and block) on high and dark web blocker and malicious website blocker.  But when I did the rebuild of the network I did not enable any security options and still had the problem.  I have since switched it on since it did not seem to be the issue.

Could this be an EA5 HW issue??

46 minutes ago, Scrib said:

It seems like such an isolated and nuanced issue that I can't see how it's a HW issue.  Wonder if another dealer could try and remote in after you update your Home Smart Pro and see if they can simply try to get in.

Who's your ISP?

Spectrum is the ISP. But unless they changed something, it was work before UniFi. 

I was thinking about getting with another dealer but not sure if they would be interested. 

I heard from my installer and he said he has been talking other installers and they want to take the EA5 down to factory defaults and then reload the stack. The rationale is there is some old software that is causing stuck bits. I have seen this in older computers before so this is logical. This would mean that even the OS3 upgrade doesn’t flush the system. There are ways to avoid this situation. I hope this is the problem to move forward with a solution, but if it is the problem, I would call this a C4 bug that needs to be addressed. I will let you know results. 

When you go to the UI controller, what is the status of the ethernet connection to the EA5? if it looks good,  then do you have you tried a direct connection to the modem of your ISP to the ea5? If this happenwd right after switiching routers then I suspect a wiring issue like bad cable, cables in the wrong ports, etc. Double check your ethernet wiring. Also check your DHCP settings on the router and on the devices to make sure you are not stepping on static or reserved IP address. Check and make sure packets are sending and receiving on the EA5 port. If you want you can invite me to your UI portal and I can look onto your sytem setup

Let me give an update. Installer came out today and did a hard reset on the EA5. This brought the machine to v2.10x. He looked at a connection setting after the reset and the check mark turned from yellow to green which gave us hope. He proceeded to upgrade to V3.30.x and load the project. The check mark turned yellow indicating loss of connection. Validated loss of connection at my.Control4.com. Prior to the installer coming, I did a rebuild of the network and kept all defaults as suggested above. I had enabled Threat Management and country blocking. 

At this point the installer does not have any options do no plans to move this forward yet. 

On 10/28/2022 at 1:16 PM, Leonard1105 said:

2.6.x to 3.3.x.

If so, this is known to cause issues. AFAIK there is no 'direct' fix yet though supposedly it's being worked on to prevent the issues it shows (I don't know the exact details of the issues off the top of my head, but issues connecting to remote servers certainly could be part of it).

Dealer SHOULD be contacting support with that info, saying it was a direct update from {anything older than 3.1.3} to {anything above 3.1.3} - no fix is available for dealers, but support may have a way to fix things if they are aware of the 'error' of the update.

The issue of remote connectivity of C4 servers started while still on OS2. We updated to OS3 in hopes of clearing the problem. Operationally I have full functionality inside the LAN. But if an app has to touch C4 or others, it will fail. I also can VPN to my network and use the app remotely (only function that does note require remote connection). 

We have had L2 connected several times but have not been able to get a solution or fix.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Solution

Solution: The Control4 technical representative was in the area and came out to see if he could figure out what was going on with the connectivity issue.  He went through the system and was not able to identify any one item that was causing the issue.  He did notice that the temperature of the processor was higher than recommended, but not at a critical level.  He was about to conclude that the hardware should be replaced (not under warranty) when he decided to take a long shot action of upgrading the OS to the latest level.  He did not see anything in the update that would affect this issue.  However in the process of upgrading the OS, he noticed an EA1 in the project which physically did not exist.  This EA1 was taken out of the rack, quite some time ago, but was not removed from the project.  After the upgrade, he removed the EA1 from the project and the connectivity returned.  He could not explain why this blocked connectivity.  The EA1 was removed long before the connectivity issue appeared.  No further explanation was available.  

Thank you all for your support to resolve this issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.