C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI over IP - Quality has turned "cloudy" over time

g8rfn2

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well! 

My system was installed back in 2016 and features a pretty extensive video distribution system using key digital equipment. The main unit is a KD-MC1000 controller, then i have 5 source transmitters (KD-IP1080TX), and 8 receivers on TVs throughout the house (KD-IP1080RX). Overall, i have had VERY FEW issues with the system over the years, and I've been very happy with the C4 integration, etc. However, I have noticed that the picture has started to turn a bit hazy / cloudy over time on some of the receivers? It seems cost prohibitive to replace the transmitters and receivers as they are largely impossible to find. But, any other suggestions? Is this something anyone else has noticed over time? I assume with them basically all being "on" 24/7 over 6 years they just eventually wear out? 

Thoughts on other options?

this sounds like a settings issue. These devices should just be streaming what ever they receive. They shouldn't be effect things like color. They are likely compressing the video and its possible an update changed that compression algo and may colors got squashed. At the end of the day i would contact your installer or Key digital directly to trouble shoot the system and find out what changed.

If anything I;d expect any failure in your watched video like you describe to be a receiver issue, not a transmitter one. Might be worth finding one receiver and replacing it, see if it makes a difference - in which case, it's indeed 'wear and tear', which really only likely happens on the HDMI output/chip

It's a bit odd what you describe though...can't really say I've ever had 'cloudyness' on HDMI like that.

I should have mentioned... I have definitely switched around some receivers. I put the guest room receiver on the living room TV and it looks a LOT better. Could just be placebo effect... But, I swear the ones that are used more often are the worst... Master bed, and living room. It's definitely not the transmitters though. The one on the deck looks flawless on all sources. Anyone know if the newer versions of the receivers work with the old version of the main unit? 

I'm not an HDMI expert, but I thought HDMI was digital, so you wouldn't have those kinds of issues, although you could have EDID or other connection management issues, but once it's connected, it should be digital quality.

It sounds to me like the receiver is set to a lower resolution for some reason.  Maybe that was due to the age of the receivers, or maybe it got reconfigured somehow.

Can you confirm the TVs are getting the full resolution you're expecting?

Definitely weird...

RyanE

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

I'm not an HDMI expert, but I thought HDMI was digital, so you wouldn't have those kinds of issues, although you could have EDID or other connection management issues, but once it's connected, it should be digital quality.

It sounds to me like the receiver is set to a lower resolution for some reason.  Maybe that was due to the age of the receivers, or maybe it got reconfigured somehow.

Can you confirm the TVs are getting the full resolution you're expecting?

Definitely weird...

RyanE

Correct to an extent you should have very little signal loss. As for swapping the receivers, they all likely have individual settings so something is diffirent and causing the image difference. Until we know a lot more and it would be best to have someone dig through the settings that is familiar with the system to be able to tell exactly what is going on here.

4 hours ago, RyanE said:

I'm not an HDMI expert, but I thought HDMI was digital, so you wouldn't have those kinds of issues

Definitely weird...

RyanE

Signal wise no you shouldn't see issues like this but if the receiver is simply going bad and in it's decoding of the network signal back to HDMI signal is somehow adding artifacts....well the HDMI output would simply reproduce them.

But yes, weird for sure.

You know what....I wonder: any chance your sources are set to interlaced?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.