C4 Forums | Control4

Lutron Shades control not working after lost power for several hours

Couple of days ago we lost power for several hours.  After power came back up, all C4 function controls came back up properly (media, lighting, power, temperature etc) except for our Lutron Shades control.   Controlling the shades via the Lutron App works fine, so I'm thinking some handshake or driver needs to be reset with C4 and the Lutron Shade Control?   I have Composer He 3.3.1 and I know how to use it to do basic programming, but by no means an expert!    Any help or feedback on how I can get the Lutron Shade Controls to work again using C4?    Thank You!

Just did that (1) unplugged and plugged C4 controller back in and (2) unplugged and plugged the Lutron Hub back in.  The C4 shades control still shows a bunch of "question marks" for each shade = still not working.  Please see screenshots...  Again, controlling shades thru the Lutron App works fine.   Should I be rebooting the C4 Controller through Composer HE software vs. unplug / plug back in?

Could the Lutron Hub have automatically changed IP address with the power loss then power back up?    Is that something I can check / fix on my own via Composer HE, or do I have to contact my dealer to reboot?  Where in Composer HE can I find this info?  Thanks for the help.    

This issue has never popped up before with past power loss and back up...  Frustrating.

So it sounds like I have to contact my dealer to fix the issue of the Lutron Shade Control not working since the power went down / then up.   While I like the C4 system overall, these are the little things that are annoying about C4 where the dealer has to fix and I cannot fix.    I'm a fairly good with DIY re: tech but it doesn't help much with C4.

Not sure I agree with you, since I have had the same C4 system config since 2016 when this was a new home, and in the past 6+ years we've had many instances of power outage, and never in 6+ years has this issue popped up.  So if it's system setup issue I'm fairly sure it would have popped up before in the past 6+ years.

1 hour ago, gideyup1 said:

Hi - where do I go in Composer HE to confirm the polling IP and where do I confirm the actual IP assigned to my Lutron Hub?   Bit of a rookie in terms of navigating Composer HE.

Thanks

Look for your Lutron processor on the left (under Monitoring).

Select it and click properties on the upper right.  It should show on the properties tab along with pairing info, online status, etc.

So I found the Lutron App IP address...

But @SpencerT , in Composer HE, I couldn't find the Lutron processor on the left (under Monitoring).   Please see screenshot, as example I selected one of the Lutron Shades (i.e. Great Room North Shade).  But I'm assuming this isn't the Lutron processor you're referring to... 

Thanks everyone for your help!  Seems like it should be a simple fix, just trying to diagnose the issue.   

Thanks @SpencerT!!  The Lutron Processor was in the A/V room.  I found the IP address and it was different vs the Lutron App Network IP.  I was able to change the IP in Composer HE to match the Lutron App Network IP, and BINGO, IT NOW WORKS!   Thanks @JSTRONG !   Appreciate the help, and just learned a new thing in Composer HE.  :) 

1 minute ago, gideyup1 said:

@SpencerT  How do I create a DHCP reservation for the processor?  Here is the screenshot where I was able to change the IP to match the Lutron App Network IP.

You will need to create that reservation on your router (or whatever device is handling DHCP requests).  It's not something you will set in C4.

If you have credentials to log in your Lutron system, you can also make the IP address fixed (assuming you have reserved a a range of fixed IP in your router). A good practice to avoid these issues is to use fixed IP addresses for all your devices and systems controlled via Control4 and requiring "knowledge" of the IP address. Otherwise, losses of power and similar issues will create problems. 

Practically speaking:

- using these IP addresses (one per device), log-in your devices and switch from dynamic/DHCP to fixed IP

- for the rare devices where you could not make IP fixed, you can use address reservation in your router.

The nice thing with used a range of fixed IP addresses is that if you need to replace your router, all you have to is to recreate the same fixed IP range and it works.

Hope it helps and good luck.

By the way, everyone should have access to the credentials for their equipment, even if managed by reseller/installer. I know there is sometimes push back due to concerns of consumers messing up settings BUT this is your equipment and things happen... Keep a file somewhere or even a sticker at the back of your units. This applies to your router, Lutron receiver, Control4... Up to you to discuss with your installer who makes changes... 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.