C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee down

For the last two week, I keep losing the Zigbee network, and I need to reboot my controller to get it back. I am making an assumption it's the Zigbee but that is based on the fact that I cant control lighting nor use my remotes. I can use the app to turn on TV and AVR. After a reboot, it all works. I am running the latest OS on an EA-5. Any ideas I can look at while waiting to hear from my dealer?

13 minutes ago, Amr said:

Could be interference to ur ZB channel, ur dealer will have to move u to Ch 25 being least prone to interference from WiFi!

I'll check, but I believe I have being on that channel for a number of years. Thanks

8 minutes ago, Amr said:

Could be interference to ur ZB channel, ur dealer will have to move u to Ch 25 being least prone to interference from WiFi!

Sigh. Stop assuming Ch25 is 'best'. It's great with a good mesh coverage in very high traffic 2.4Ghz areas - but it's a weaker signal strenght, and if poor mesh is the issue, ch25 will just make it worse. Not advocating AGAINST using 25 - just saying to consider the situation and not assume it's the 'right' thing to do.

You can find a free app on your phone to check how busy channels are, and while zigbee must be done by a dealer, if your own wifi it the biggest interference by far, you may be able to move IT to another channel(s) instead - note that only 2.4 Ghz is of real importance here.

If a reboot fixes it, unfortunately that doesn't really eliminate or prove specific issues. Dealer can check if ZigBee is indeed off-line or not etc. Hard to troubleshoot without that added info I'm afraid, but a wifi channel change or interference scan is something you may be able to look into yourself. Chances are wifi is set to auto - which could explain it jumping to a different channel and it all of a sudden causing problems.

35 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Sigh. Stop assuming Ch25 is 'best'. It's great with a good mesh coverage in very high traffic 2.4Ghz areas - but it's a weaker signal strenght, and if poor mesh is the issue, ch25 will just make it worse. Not advocating AGAINST using 25 - just saying to consider the situation and not assume it's the 'right' thing to do.

You can find a free app on your phone to check how busy channels are, and while zigbee must be done by a dealer, if your own wifi it the biggest interference by far, you may be able to move IT to another channel(s) instead - note that only 2.4 Ghz is of real importance here.

If a reboot fixes it, unfortunately that doesn't really eliminate or prove specific issues. Dealer can check if ZigBee is indeed off-line or not etc. Hard to troubleshoot without that added info I'm afraid, but a wifi channel change or interference scan is something you may be able to look into yourself. Chances are wifi is set to auto - which could explain it jumping to a different channel and it all of a sudden causing problems.

35 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Thanks Cy, WiFi channels are on auto, running on Ruckus unleashed. Nothing has changed with the set up for a couple of years. I can definitely look at assigning channels in the 2.4Ghz radio. The odd thing is that this seems to be happening on a weekly recurring basis, the last 2 Saturdays, so it does seem to indicate some sort of schedule or refresh

6 hours ago, Cyknight said:

99% of the cases it’s interference, what is the study says? WiFi on 1, 6, 11 and ZB on 15, 20, 25 🤓

18 hours ago, Tokead said:

Thanks Cy, WiFi channels are on auto, running on Ruckus unleashed. Nothing has changed with the set up for a couple of years. I can definitely look at assigning channels in the 2.4Ghz radio. The odd thing is that this seems to be happening on a weekly recurring basis, the last 2 Saturdays, so it does seem to indicate some sort of schedule or refresh

Which could be Ruckus finding clearer channels, but starting to interfere with ZigBee - worth a try at least.

12 hours ago, Amr said:

99% of the cases it’s interference, what is the study says? WiFi on 1, 6, 11 and ZB on 15, 20, 25 🤓

BUT zigbee 25 is purposely a lower signal strength. And as such channel 25 is NOT always the best choice. And no I don't agree that it's interference 99% of the time in general (for ZigBee) - weak signal/too many hops (combined) are at least as prevalent as wifi interference for ZigBee problems

Standard residential WiFi SHOULD basically default to 11 UNLESS you're talking high density residential (apartments), so if you follow your logic it would make ZB 15 the preferred option - not ZB 25.

High density residential of commercial you would generally default to ZB25 as wifi is likely all over the place (not to mention changing constantly) - in which case ZB 25 is in fact outside of all wifi channels. But again, you lose overall signal strength.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

BUT zigbee 25 is purposely a lower signal strength. And as such channel 25 is NOT always the best choice. And no I don't agree that it's interference 99% of the time in general (for ZigBee) - weak signal/too many hops (combined) are at least as prevalent as wifi interference for ZigBee problems

Standard residential WiFi SHOULD basically default to 11 UNLESS you're talking high density residential (apartments), so if you follow your logic it would make ZB 15 the preferred option - not ZB 25.

High density residential of commercial you would generally default to ZB25 as wifi is likely all over the place (not to mention changing constantly) - in which case ZB 25 is in fact outside of all wifi channels. But again, you lose overall signal strength.

You have put lots of assumptions here, I don’t want to argue but everything is situational and what u say can hold with specific aspects that might not be the case here, most of the cases I helped to fix including mine using spectrum analyzer helped in making life easier for some including 1, 6, 11, 15, 20 and 25 for the crowded 2.4GHz spectrum I didn’t even talk yet about the 5GHz or even the newer 6GHz!

Thanks for sharing your experience thought.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.