C4 Forums | Control4

Luxul antenna

We regularly use the D-Link DIR-655 as an access point and add a Rosewill RNX-A5-EX High Gain Antenna http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833998052. I have this setup at my house, and cover 4500 sq. ft indoors, plus another 25,000 sq. ft. outdoors with a single access point setup on an interior wall on the 2nd floor. The DIR-655 is rock solid. No reboots needed in the last 6 months, no drops anywhere on the property. Not bad for $120.

• 2 months later...
Just for a real world example' date=' this week I replaced Cisco Aironet AP's for a client who is using Motion Tablets in a medical practice. The Motion tablets are much like the C4 Touchpanels in that they want to stay attached to a single AP and the application they are running can't handle any drops in wireless signal without locking up.

I used a single Luxal 200 bundle from Control4 to cover all of the surgical suites and associated offices and it works great. A substantial improvement over the Aironet devices given the limitations of the wireless clients. I'm a big fan of Cisco Aironet, but the Luxal was a much better solution in this application.

Anytime you can use 2 antennas you will get better coverage especially if the AP supports MIMO.

The only thing I don't like about the Luxal is the antenna mounting arms. In most cases it's easier to use a cheap speaker ball mount so you swivel and pivot the antennas in the direction you need. Otherwise you just have to bend the metal arms on the stock luxal unit.[/quote']

Seems like Luxul has carved out quite a little niche for themselves here and are making quite a a nice margin while doing it. $900 -$1200 is crazy when you can accomplish the same thing for less than $100. Although I haven't used the Luxul package, it looks like it is basically a Dlink AP with an antenna and an amplifier. In this case, you could just replace the antennae on the existing Cisco AP with a directional antenna that are 6-10 dBi. The amplifier is not necessary because the Aironet AP will already transmit at up to 100 mw. 100 mw is more than any of your client's transmit power. Creating a situation where the AP has higher transmit power than your client is asking for trouble if you go too far.

A basic 6 or 7 dbi (Luxul uses a 7 dbi antenna) can be had on the web for less than $50. Just make sure you get one with the right connector type. There are adapters for different connector types available as well.

This is a great post, but overlooks a couple advantages that Luxul Boosters provide. Not only does a Luxul Booster take your output power all the way up to 1,000mW, it also increases "receive gain". This can be thought of in terms of listening power--pulling in those weak client signals. No high-powered radio will do this, only luxul boosters. Have you ever watched Luxul's webinars? They go to great legnths to explain this and I have seen Luxul gear outperform Pakedge high-powered AP's in numerous situations--with the Pakedge, at long ranges, the touchpanels will fall off while they still have excellent signal stregnth...wth? With the Luxul Booster Kit used with a Netgear WG102, the coverage is even better and the small, weak mobile devices can be "heard" as that receive gain sucks them in.

I'm a beleiver in Luxul.

To the poster above who was having issues covering even his apartment, you have either a hardware malfunction or you have your equipment configured wrong. I'd suggest calling Luxul for help as I've talked to Ronnie over there many times and he's been a great help. He's sort of a wild man, he's 23 but he knows his sh**.

Respect,

Militant

Archived