C4 Forums | Control4

RS-232 Control of JVC LX-NZ38 Projector

I am using the following adapters to connect my Control4 system to my JVC projector (pics attached).

I am using port 1 on the IR blaster to do this (pic attached).

Tried using two different drivers and it did not work.

1) Will these adapters work? 

2) Is there any way to test if the signal is making it through these adapters?

3) Are there any settings that need to be enabled on the projector itself to allow for serial control?

IMG_2747.JPG

IMG_2745.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

1 hour ago, ajd123 said:

I am using the following adapters to connect my Control4 system to my JVC projector (pics attached).

I am using port 1 on the IR blaster to do this (pic attached).

Tried using two different drivers and it did not work.

1) Will these adapters work? 

2) Is there any way to test if the signal is making it through these adapters?

3) Are there any settings that need to be enabled on the projector itself to allow for serial control?

IMG_2747.JPG

IMG_2745.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

Pls note that u need to bind the correct serial port, although in port 1 it’s Serial 3! Second are u using the recommended C4 compatible one?

like this: LIANSHU DB9 Male to DC3.5mm Male Serial RS232 Cable 6feet DB9 Male to 3.5mm Serial Cable L= 6FT Black https://a.co/d/aZUFXFf

10 minutes ago, Amr said:

Pls note that u need to bind the correct serial port, although in port 1 it’s Serial 3! Second are u using the recommended C4 compatible one?

like this: LIANSHU DB9 Male to DC3.5mm Male Serial RS232 Cable 6feet DB9 Male to 3.5mm Serial Cable L= 6FT Black https://a.co/d/aZUFXFf

The project and EA5 are different rooms.  The only wires we have running between the two are Cat6.  I have to use converters to go from Cat6 to DB9 and Cat6 to 3.5mm

3 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

It is not in the post.  Mitch did the binding.

It figures, am sure he did 😃. This adapter is not compatible! U need to figure out a way to test it away from C4 just to see if it works but I do believe u need to use the ones that we are sure it works, get one it’s $9 anyways.

Also do u have a tester just to make sure the lan cable is correctly terminated and working well?

5 minutes ago, Amr said:

It figures, am sure he did 😃 the. This adapter is not compatible! U need to figure out a way to test it away from C4 just to see if it works but I do believe u need to use the ones that we are sure it works, get one it’s $9 anyways

I have no problem getting the adapter.

1) The projectors serial output is male, so need a female version of the adapter.  Do you think this would work? 

https://www.amazon.ca/LIANSHU-DB9Pin-Female-Network-Console/dp/B08J42ZB26/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=LIANSHU+DB9+female&qid=1683374790&sr=8-5

2) I would then require an adapter to convert the Cat6 to 3.5mm stereo mini jack (which I am already using).

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PGRZLTS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

JVC LX-NZ38 Back Panel.jpg

4 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

I have no problem getting the adapter.

1) The projectors serial output in female, so need a male version of the adapter.

2) I would then require an adapter to convert the Cat6 to 3.5mm stereo mini jack.

JVC LX-NZ38 Back Panel.jpg

Get a female version then, see Amazon, tons of listings, can u use one of the serial ports instead and get a serial to lan pair?

So the idea is to shift one of the serial ports to 3.5mm and use this serial with the lan to extend to the other room!

1 minute ago, Amr said:

Get a female version then, see Amazon, tons of listings, can u use one of the serial ports instead and get a serial to lan pair?

I cannot.  Both serial ports are being used for my Somfy URTSI's.

This is the adapter I am using, not sure how it is much different from the one you suggested other than the brand: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DCPVLBC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

I cannot.  Both serial ports are being used for my Somfy URTSI's.

Of course u can, I’m using it this way Serial to 3.5mm into EA3 to UTRSII, works perfect, also time to move to Bond Bridge!

2 minutes ago, Amr said:

Of course u can, I’m using it this way Serial to 3.5mm into EA3 to UTRSII, works perfect, also time to move to Bond Bridge!

8 minutes ago, Amr said:

So the idea is to shift one of the serial ports to 3.5mm and use this serial with the lan to extend to the other room!

Rather than move the URTSI over to IR port 1 (serial 3), I am trying to use IR port 1 (serial 3) for the projector.  Why would we need the extra step of shifting one of the serial ports to 3.5mm?

I tested the Cat6 cable and it is terminated and working properly.  The problem is I do not know if the signal is passing through the two adapters properly and I am not sure how to test those.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PGRZLTS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DCPVLBC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

3 minutes ago, Amr said:

This is what am suggesting! What I suggested is Serial to 3.5mm RCA!

Even if I moved the URTSI from Serial 1 to Serial 3 on the EA5 with your suggested adapter, I would still need to convert Cat6 using two adapters (below) because the projector and EA5 are in different rooms.

13 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

Even if I moved the URTSI from Serial 1 to Serial 3 on the EA5 with your suggested adapter, I would still need to convert Cat6 using two adapters (below) because the projector and EA5 are in different rooms.

This is why I want u to move URTSII to 3.5mm cause u know it’s working, again and to simplify things and not to use many adapters only use RS232 to LAN, that’s it, u have to get a serial tester as u can’t shoot in the dark like this!

Just ... i know mitch did it but are you sure it's not just due to a cross-over vs straight connection? This is settable on the 3.5mm ports on the EA's....

As for serial, you should only need 3. COM/GRD to COM/GRD then TX to TX and RX to RX.....if the input requirement is supposed to be reversec for TX and RX then again, the EA can do that internally.

Note that serial communication has limited range, traditionally over 20f can be a problem, 50f is the max. You may need a line booster (basically it's a 232 to 422 converter and back).

Just one example: https://www.usconverters.com/rs232-repeater-extender

You'll want two and could just use the optional header to just screw the wires down.

Then just get a standard 3.5mm to serial cable: https://www.amazon.ca/Wpeng-Female-3-5mm-Serial-Conversion/dp/B06WLP4LTP

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Just ... i know mitch did it but are you sure it's not just due to a cross-over vs straight connection? This is settable on the 3.5mm ports on the EA's....

As for serial, you should only need 3. COM/GRD to COM/GRD then TX to TX and RX to RX.....if the input requirement is supposed to be reversec for TX and RX then again, the EA can do that internally.

Note that serial communication has limited range, traditionally over 20f can be a problem, 50f is the max. You may need a line booster (basically it's a 232 to 422 converter and back).

Just one example: https://www.usconverters.com/rs232-repeater-extender

You'll want two and could just use the optional header to just screw the wires down.

Then just get a standard 3.5mm to serial cable: https://www.amazon.ca/Wpeng-Female-3-5mm-Serial-Conversion/dp/B06WLP4LTP

Thanks CYknight.  The connections for the RS-232 are easy to identify (pin 2 for RX, pin 3 for TX, pin 5 for ground).  On the 3.5mm adapter, what would be the corresponding ports since they are labelled L, R, unknown icon?

Right now I have RX to L, TX to R and Ground to the far right terminal on the 3.5mm (see attached picture).  Is this correct?

IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

I could be wrong and cant speak for rs232 specific, pairing the cable like above is an issue with IR emitters. I would pair up my power and ground normally but leave single wire for data (IR). Im thinking rs232 could be the same.. disconnect the pairs, 1 wire per connection

edit: Im sure ground would not matter but Rx/Tx i would separate them

17 hours ago, Cyknight said:

1) Do you mean I can use just the circled piece in the picture plugged directly into the projector (or does it need to run through the piece that says Dtech)?

2) I am going to use all 6 terminals and 6 wires (wired the same at both ends).  Is this correct?

Optional Header.jpg

IMG_2911.JPG

7 hours ago, c4toys said:

I could be wrong and cant speak for rs232 specific, pairing the cable like above is an issue with IR emitters. I would pair up my power and ground normally but leave single wire for data (IR). Im thinking rs232 could be the same.. disconnect the pairs, 1 wire per connection

edit: Im sure ground would not matter but Rx/Tx i would separate them

I’ve never had any issue doubling pairs for rs232 or IR. 

12 hours ago, ajd123 said:

Thanks CYknight.  The connections for the RS-232 are easy to identify (pin 2 for RX, pin 3 for TX, pin 5 for ground).  On the 3.5mm adapter, what would be the corresponding ports since they are labelled L, R, unknown icon?

Right now I have RX to L, TX to R and Ground to the far right terminal on the 3.5mm (see attached picture).  Is this correct?

IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

This will all depend on what your projector requires.  But easily achieved if it doesn’t work, to change Tx and Rx, using Composer. 

4 hours ago, ajd123 said:

1) Do you mean I can use just the circled piece in the picture plugged directly into the projector (or does it need to run through the piece that says Dtech)?

2) I am going to use all 6 terminals and 6 wires (wired the same at both ends).  Is this correct?

1) You'd need both as the screw down is an RS422.

2) Yes you can use all 6 that's fine - not likely needed, but shouldn't hurt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.