C4 Forums | Control4

Roku Mini Drivers and Passthrough

Just curious if this is by design, if there is a bug, or if I am doing something wrong. I have two Roku Ultras in an AV Rack. I have bound the mini apps to both Roku players and as I understand it, if I were to, for example, select the Netflix mini app on two separate TVs then the driver should automatically select the unused/inactive Roku to launch the second Netlfix instance. Is this correct?

What is happening for me is that when passthrough is enabled, each additional launch of the Netflix app just launches the existing stream from the active Roku in the new room instead of the from the inactive Roku. If I disable passthrough, it seems to work as expected, where it will launch the unused Roku if one Roku is already in use. Am I doing something wrong or is this the expected behavior? I like the aesthetics of passthrough but we often have our kids watching Netflix while we also watch a different Netflix stream elsewhere and this does not work well for us.

Also, as an additional note, if I launch a different mini app than the active one (i.e. Netflix is active and I select Amazon Prime in another room) the app will launch on the inactive Roku even when in passthrough mode.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

On 5/11/2023 at 3:31 PM, SouthernTurkey said:

Just curious if this is by design, if there is a bug, or if I am doing something wrong. I have two Roku Ultras in an AV Rack. I have bound the mini apps to both Roku players and as I understand it, if I were to, for example, select the Netflix mini app on two separate TVs then the driver should automatically select the unused/inactive Roku to launch the second Netlfix instance. Is this correct?

What is happening for me is that when passthrough is enabled, each additional launch of the Netflix app just launches the existing stream from the active Roku in the new room instead of the from the inactive Roku. If I disable passthrough, it seems to work as expected, where it will launch the unused Roku if one Roku is already in use. Am I doing something wrong or is this the expected behavior? I like the aesthetics of passthrough but we often have our kids watching Netflix while we also watch a different Netflix stream elsewhere and this does not work well for us.

Also, as an additional note, if I launch a different mini app than the active one (i.e. Netflix is active and I select Amazon Prime in another room) the app will launch on the inactive Roku even when in passthrough mode.

Thank you!

Incorrect. Control4 as far as I know without special programming won't cascade like you are asking. Each Roku has a "netflix" of it's own so which ever you push will turn on that roku only. 

On 5/11/2023 at 10:31 PM, SouthernTurkey said:

Thank you!

Why are u posting same topic twice? You already posted in “Driver Discussion” same topic and u get some answers?

2 hours ago, SouthernTurkey said:

It was an accident and I couldn’t figure how to delete post. Sry

That’s fine, it’s not the end of the world, but having a focused topic will allows u to get better results and quick fix for your issues

On 5/13/2023 at 12:39 AM, Neo1738 said:

Incorrect. Control4 as far as I know without special programming won't cascade like you are asking. Each Roku has a "netflix" of it's own so which ever you push will turn on that roku only. 

Huh. No, you can have a single 'netflix' mini driver attached to multiple rokus and the system will select the next unused one. Where this fails is having netflix, prime, disney etc. It doesn't seem to track very well int hat case (for me it's a about 50/50 right now) - and the passthrough is a know limitation

On 5/16/2023 at 2:30 PM, Cyknight said:

Huh. No, you can have a single 'netflix' mini driver attached to multiple rokus and the system will select the next unused one. Where this fails is having netflix, prime, disney etc. It doesn't seem to track very well int hat case (for me it's a about 50/50 right now) - and the passthrough is a know limitation

I stand corrected didn't think that was a thing. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.