C4 Forums | Control4

Cost of Control4 in a house, just wondering

M3AL

I know the cost of a Home Automation varies by location and by installer, but I am in the process of getting Control4 and didn't want to get ripped off. I have listed the equipment going into my house (only the Control4 items, leaving out the amps, receivers, speakers, tvs, switches, etc...). If anyone would be kind enough to tell me what I should be expecting to pay for all this installed it would be greatly appreciated. Ballpark is all I ask.

House Size: 5000 sq/ft, 2 Stories, 4 bedrooms (including master), 1 family room, 1 dining room, 1 theater room, 1 game room, 1 kitchen & 1 breakfast area.

Control4 Equipment:

- 1 - HC500

- 2 - 7" in wall touchscreens

- 1 - 4" in wall touchscreen

- 60 - Single Dimmer Switches

- 4 - SC250 Wireless Remotes

- 2 - wireless thermostats

- 2 - fireplace switches

- 1 - C4-16AMP3-B (8 Zone Amplifier)

The control4 system will be tied into the security as well.

I think that should be everything Control4 related.

If this matters: The entire house has audio (30 speakers) and there is 4 rooms with surround sound (3 with 5.1 and 1 with 7.1).

I thank everyone in advance for your responses and comments.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can say is don't buy an HC500 unless it is SUPER CHEAP (~$800?). It is discontinued and was replaced by the HC1000 V3 which has a $1,600 MSRP and more firepower. Then buy an HC200 to run navigator.

Also, I would stray away from the mini touch as I think it will get left out in the cold when OS 2.0 drops.

Also, I would stray away from the mini touch as I think it will get left out in the cold when OS 2.0 drops.

Currently the plan is to have the MTS and 10.5" panels run classic navigator (the current one) and not the flash based gui. However this is subject to change once 2.0 actually ships sometime this year.

Also' date=' I would stray away from the mini touch as I think it will get left out in the cold when OS 2.0 drops.[/quote']

Currently the plan is to have the MTS and 10.5" panels run classic navigator (the current one) and not the flash based gui. However this is subject to change once 2.0 actually ships sometime this year.

That might be your plan but it sure as hell isn't mine. I hocked all my touch screens before the world figured out they wouldn't run flash with 2.0. I'm not buying any touchscreens again until I see how this plays out.

I gotta say I do miss them though. Never had a mini touch, but had several 10.5's.

Also' date=' I would stray away from the mini touch as I think it will get left out in the cold when OS 2.0 drops.[/quote']

That might be your plan but it sure as hell isn't mine. I hocked all my touch screens before the world figured out they wouldn't run flash with 2.0. I'm not buying any touchscreens again until I see how this plays out.

I gotta say I do miss them though. Never had a mini touch, but had several 10.5's.

As it stands, those are currently the plans from Control4 until they change and people have a right to know what's supported and to what extent. Your statement that they "aren't supported in 2.0" is misleading at best today... :)

I gotta say I do miss them though. Never had a mini touch' date=' but had several 10.5's.[/quote']

As it stands, those are currently the plans from Control4 until they change and people have a right to know what's supported and to what extent. Your statement that they "aren't supported in 2.0" is misleading at best today... :)

Well you better re-check you're quote my much mistaken friend. I didn't say "aren't support in 2.0", that was all you buddy.

Come on now Cody. Quote the entire sentence. The critical part here "I have a feeling they will be left out in the cold when 2.0 drops".

I feel like they will. What do I mean by that? I mean they will stay static while everything else changes. I didn't say I felt like they would never work again.

Plus, these are just my thoughts, and I don't know anything anyways...just ask my wife.

I thought this was about pricing of control4? Lol.

Thanks for the hc500 info, wonder why these av guys didn't mention it. Also, good point on the 4" screen, I think I'll just wire for a future 7" screen. Would it be overkill if I use the Hc1000 with the HC300?

Also, do I have to use the control4 amp for my whole house audio?

I would definately use the C4 amp. It integrates flawlessly and is a lot of amp for the $$$.

He probably didn't mention that about the 500 because he has it and wants to sell it.

Also, I will never say an HC1000 is overkill.

Keep in mind, I'm just a stupid end user and these are only my opinions.

I would definately use the C4 amp. It integrates flawlessly and is a lot of amp for the $$$.

He probably didn't mention that about the 500 because he has it and wants to sell it.

Also, I will never say an HC1000 is overkill.

Keep in mind, I'm just a stupid end user and these are only my opinions.

Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it no matter what others say.

I guess I should have said it a little clearer, but will the HC300 be overkill when combined with the HC1000? Or should I be fine with a HC200 with the HC1000 combo?

Also, how many C4 amps do I need? How can I determine this?

Again thanks for your input.

C4 makes an 8 zone and a 4 zone amp. Depending on the speakers you can do two - four speakers per zone. Obviously less than 8 zones is one amp, 9-12 zones is an 8 zone and 4 zone amp, 13-16 is two 8 zone amps, etc... If you do multiple amps it is typically recommended that you get the audio matrix switch as well.

You need at least one second controller to run navigator. The HC300 does have some benefits over the HC200. Whether they will be of benefit to you or not depends on your needs.

With 4 rooms of surround sound you'll need more then one HC200 or HC300. You need to count how many recievers, projectors, cablebox's, DVD players, TV's, etc. that you want to control. Each one of these devices is going to take up an IR or serial port on the controller. I'm not sure how many IR and serial ports are on the HC200, but my HC300 has 6 IR ports and 2 serial ports.

Also, are you going to need any Relays or Contacts.

With 4 rooms of surround sound you'll need more then one HC200 or HC300. You need to count how many recievers, projectors, cablebox's, DVD players, TV's, etc. that you want to control. Each one of these devices is going to take up an IR or serial port on the controller. I'm not sure how many IR and serial ports are on the HC200, but my HC300 has 6 IR ports and 2 serial ports.

Also, are you going to need any Relays or Contacts.

Receivers - 4

Projectors - 1

Direct Tv boxes - 4

DVD players - 1

TV's - 13

Also, I have a total of 6 zones (i'm putting a few of them together for now to save cost on buying multiple amps and the Matrix Switch) Realistically I will have 12 Zones. I can always switch them to separate zones later right?

I'm not sure what Relays and Contacts are for and what they do.

The other thing I was wondering is if there is a way to get around using a HDMI Matrix Switch. I've heard a lot of negativity on the HDMI switches and don't want to spend $5-$7K on something that does not really work properly. I will have 7 Sources (4 Direct TV DVR's, 1- DVD Player, 1-Blu-Ray Player and a PS3), and I want to be able to watch DVR 1, 2, 3 or 4 on any of the TV's in the house. I have a total of 13 TV's. In my game room I have 5 TV's and I am a huge sports fan so I get the NFL Sunday ticket, NBA Ticket etc... I want to be able to watch a different source on each of the TV's or be able to watch one source on all 5 TV's (let's say Monday night Football). Is there a way to just run additional wires to these instead of a HDMI Matrix Switch?

You won't get a realistic quote for the install without a complete list of equipment.

It's simple enough to give a Control4 hardware cost projection, but the integration of the other items will dictate the majority of the finish cost.

Personally,

I'd rather have HC300's than 200's because of the additional outputs for just a few bucks more.

There is nothing wrong with getting a HC-500, you gain hard drive space and digital outputs and will probably get a good price on it with full warranty coverage.

Given the number of displays, I'd spec an HC-1000 to run Director with the HC-500/300 to run navigator.

Try 7 in a 800sqft home, customer insisted despite us saying way overkill :)....M3AL id really suggest talking with a dealer, everyone I'm sure can give MSRP here but labor is per dealer. Call all the dealers in your area I'm sure they would be happy to give you a quote for the entire project and be willing to break it into separate phases.

Try 7 in a 800sqft home, customer insisted despite us saying way overkill :)....M3AL id really suggest talking with a dealer, everyone I'm sure can give MSRP here but labor is per dealer. Call all the dealers in your area I'm sure they would be happy to give you a quote for the entire project and be willing to break it into separate phases.

Thanks, I have already given all the information to a few dealers in town, just waiting for a bid. I just didn't want them to rip me off. I'm not sure what everything will cost, except the equipment. I agree the MSRP is pretty easy to figure out which I have already. Most dealers I have spoke to have said they will sell me the equipment for 10% above cost which is fine, but I'm pretty sure they will make it up on the labor. I priced out all my equipment for Control4 at about $18K MSRP. Didn't know if they would charge $10K, $20K, $30K for the install. I'm pretty sure I won't end up getting everything I want the first time around because I think it will get very expensive. Typically is the cost of install more or the equipment?

Yeah I agree 13 TV's is a lot, but 5 of those are going in the gameroom.

I do appreciate everyones feedback. Any suggestions on the HDMI Matrix thing?

[

The last large video distribution job I did we ran Cat-5e and Cat-6 from the equipment closet to the TVs and used HDMI extenders and component baluns. The benefit of using Cat-5e and Cat-6 is that as technology advances you can just swap out the HDMI extenders and component baluns for the newer technology. With the right cabling in place it is easier to switch out hardware in the future.

[

The last large video distribution job I did we ran Cat-5e and Cat-6 from the equipment closet to the TVs and used HDMI extenders and component baluns. The benefit of using Cat-5e and Cat-6 is that as technology advances you can just swap out the HDMI extenders and component baluns for the newer technology. With the right cabling in place it is easier to switch out hardware in the future.

Henniae,

Thanks for your information. I am running Cat-6 wires to each TV location (actually 3 Cat-6 & 2 RG6 at each location). But with this I still need to have some type of Video Switch right? I mean to be able to watch any of the 4 Direct TV DVR boxes in any room I need to have that right? I'm trying to figure out a way to get around it because of it being unreliable. Maybe add the HDMI Matrix Switch in the future when they actually work. Is this possible?

I will have HDMI extenders and component baluns but that's just to give it better range.

You are correct that you will still need some sort of video switch. Either HDMI or component. Most people can't tell the difference between 1080i over component and 1080p.

You might consider adding a 4th Cat6 or Cat-5e. Usually you will need 2 Cat5/Cat-5e for HDMI extenders. You might want a network connection and a spare for control.

Archived