C4 Forums | Control4

Cost of Control4 in a house, just wondering

M3AL

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well one of the reasons I am getting it at 10% above cost is because I am in the Home Remodeling industry. I am a supplier of bath & kitchen products in Houston. Atleast thats what they are saying. I guess I will find out this week hopefully.

The other thing I was wondering is if there is a way to get around using a HDMI Matrix Switch. I've heard a lot of negativity on the HDMI switches and don't want to spend $5-$7K on something that does not really work properly. I will have 7 Sources (4 Direct TV DVR's, 1- DVD Player, 1-Blu-Ray Player and a PS3), and I want to be able to watch DVR 1, 2, 3 or 4 on any of the TV's in the house. I have a total of 13 TV's. In my game room I have 5 TV's and I am a huge sports fan so I get the NFL Sunday ticket, NBA Ticket etc... I want to be able to watch a different source on each of the TV's or be able to watch one source on all 5 TV's (let's say Monday night Football). Is there a way to just run additional wires to these instead of a HDMI Matrix Switch?

Just saw this... I was at CES in the Control4 booth giving demonstrations when this was posted.

Have you looked at HDMI over IP? It integrates seamlessly with Control4 and it works "properly", plus you can add more TV's or sources to the HDMI over IP Matrix anytime you like.

The other thing I was wondering is if there is a way to get around using a HDMI Matrix Switch. I've heard a lot of negativity on the HDMI switches and don't want to spend $5-$7K on something that does not really work properly. I will have 7 Sources (4 Direct TV DVR's' date=' 1- DVD Player, 1-Blu-Ray Player and a PS3), and I want to be able to watch DVR 1, 2, 3 or 4 on any of the TV's in the house. I have a total of 13 TV's. In my game room I have 5 TV's and I am a huge sports fan so I get the NFL Sunday ticket, NBA Ticket etc... I want to be able to watch a different source on each of the TV's or be able to watch one source on all 5 TV's (let's say Monday night Football). Is there a way to just run additional wires to these instead of a HDMI Matrix Switch?[/quote']

Just saw this... I was at CES in the Control4 booth giving demonstrations when this was posted.

Have you looked at HDMI over IP? It integrates seamlessly with Control4 and it works "properly", plus you can add more TV's or sources to the HDMI over IP Matrix anytime you like.

I'm not sure how that works or ever heard of it. Pretty new to this stuff, just doing research. Can you give me more information on what this is exactly? If it is wireless HDMI, i'm not sure I can trust the picture quality.

The other thing I was wondering is if there is a way to get around using a HDMI Matrix Switch. I've heard a lot of negativity on the HDMI switches and don't want to spend $5-$7K on something that does not really work properly. I will have 7 Sources (4 Direct TV DVR's' date=' 1- DVD Player, 1-Blu-Ray Player and a PS3), and I want to be able to watch DVR 1, 2, 3 or 4 on any of the TV's in the house. I have a total of 13 TV's. In my game room I have 5 TV's and I am a huge sports fan so I get the NFL Sunday ticket, NBA Ticket etc... I want to be able to watch a different source on each of the TV's or be able to watch one source on all 5 TV's (let's say Monday night Football). Is there a way to just run additional wires to these instead of a HDMI Matrix Switch?[/quote']

I'm not sure how that works or ever heard of it. Pretty new to this stuff, just doing research. Can you give me more information on what this is exactly? If it is wireless HDMI, i'm not sure I can trust the picture quality.

Take a look at our YouTube page for a video of it in action. The link should be www.YouTube.com/thesohoshop

Ok so I got an estimate from a dealer today. The bid was for $120K. I had a minor heart attack after seeing this. Total equipment cost was about $20K and the rest was labor and install parts. Does labor really cost that much for Control4? If this is really what it costs then I might have to reconsider the whole Home Automation. I am still waiting on 3 more bids. Hopefully they aren't this high.

Ok so I got another bid, this was a little better then the first one but still pretty high IMHO. I think this company is putting in things I don't need and charging a lot for labor on a lot of things. I have listed the items below, if anyone would be able to give me their opinion on this that would be great:

CONTROL 4 HOME EQUIPMENT:

CONTROL 4 LIGHT DIMMERS Installed and programmed for lights and fans 90 $269.95 $24,295.50

CONTROL 4 HC1000 Home Master Controller 1 $1,889.95 $1,889.95

CONTROL4 HC300 Master Bedroom, Media Rm, Game Room, Family 4 $699.95 $2,799.80

CONTROL4 HC200 /WITH SR250 Kitchen, Back Porch, Study, 5 $549.95 $2,749.75

CONTROL4 IPOD DOCKS 2 $329.95 $659.90

CONTROL4 AMP16B 8 Zone 8 input matrix amp 1 $2,495.00 $2,495.00

CONTROL4 AMP8B 4 Zone 4 input matrix amp 1 $1,295.00 $1,295.00

7.5" TOUCH SCREEN Wall Mount 3 $1,495.95 $4,487.85

CONTROL4 MEDIA ROUTER 1 $289.95 $289.95

24 PORT GIGABYTE SWITCH 1 $279.95 $279.95

CONTROL4 THERMOSTATS 3 $289.95 $869.85

CONTROL4 RELAY EXTENDER For LED color control 1 $389.95 $389.95

CONTROL4 HOME EDITION C4 Home Edition Software 1 $149.95 $149.95

CONTROL4 4SIGHT SUBCRIB. 1 $99.95 $99.95

CONTROL4 RACK MOUNT Rack mount Shelves 4 $49.95 $199.80

SYSTEM SURGE PROTECTOR Panamax Max 5300 2 $489.95 $979.90

CONNECTING A/V CABLES 1 $889.95 $889.95

AUDIO VIDEO RACKS 58" Equipment rack 2 $899.95 $1,799.90

INSTALLATION LABOR Install all control4 and home 48 $125.00 $6,000.00

audio amplifiers, and controlling devices. Integrate and program

Instruct customer on use.

CAMERA SYSTEM.

8 CHANNEL IP CAM CONVERTER 1 $1,885.00 $1,885.00

8 CHANNEL DVR 8 Channel Digital Video Record 1 $1,489.95 $1,489.95

with 500 Gigabyte hd. Network viewable

DAY/NIGHT IR LED CAMERAS 520 Lines Resolution, 60ft 7 $229.95 $1,609.65

IR sensors, $0.00

8 CAM POWER SUPPLY 1 $149.95 $149.95

UPS550 BACKUP 1 $59.95 $59.95

INSTALLATION MATERIALS 1 $35.00 $35.00

INSTALLATION LABOR Install Cameras, setup Dvr, 10 $125.95 $1,259.50

integrate camera to the control4 system

WHOLE HOUSE SPEAKER INSTALL.

INSTALLATION LABOR Install Inceiling speakers in 13 $125.00 $1,625.00

11 zones. 2pr zone

HOME THEATER 5.1 INSTALL Master Bedroom, Great Room, 24 $125.00 $3,000.00

Game Room

Install all audio and video devices. Integrate tv and audio systems

to work with control4, integrate lighting.

HOME THEATER 7.1 INSTALL Media Room 10 $125.00 $1,250.00

Install all audio and video devices. Integrate tv and audio systems

to work with control4, integrate lighting.

FLAT SCREEN INSTALLATION.

37 TO 50 IINCH PACK. Includes all wires necessary to 6 $449.99 $2,699.94

connect tv to receiver or cable. Surge protector for tv and audio sytem.

Flat screen extention, Flat Wall mount with tilt. Covers and plates for

wall to run cables inwall to tv location. Installation labor.

60 to 70 INCH PACK. Includes all wires necessary to 2 $499.95 $999.90

connect tv to receiver or cable. Surge protector for tv and audio sytem.

Flat screen extention, Flat Wall mount with tilt. Covers and plates for

wall to run cables inwall to tv location. Installation labor.

(Media and Great Room)

The few things I know that are wrong are:

1. I don't need 90 switches, I only have 70 in the entire house and am only using 50.

2. I only have 7 zones, not 11 so I don't need 2 amps.

3. I don't think I need that many HC300's and HC200's. Yes I have 7 places where TV's will be installed but it's just my wife and I at the house. I think I can get away with 1-HC1000 and 2-HC300's.

My questions are:

1. Should I be charged $130 per light for programming? and then at the end be charged another $6000 in labor for Control4?

2. Does a surveillance system cost almost $7,000? I have one at my showroom and I paid about $2200 with 12 cameras.

3. Is this person adding on things I don't need? Like relays, media router etc...

4. I usually install my TV's and speakers my self on the wall so I don't know how much it typically costs. Is this right? I might just do this myself. Takes me usually 30 minutes to mount a TV on the wall.

5. I think he is also charging me more then retail on some of the equipment for Control4. Like the HC1000 retails for $1599 and I am being charged $1899.

I would really appreciate anyones feedback because I want to get this whole system but don't want to be paying for things I don't need. Thanks in advance.

Just a couple things off the top of my head:

The install and programing of the switches/dimmers is high, you may want to install yourself or get a price from an electrician.

7 zones of audio, just go with one amp, you can always add one later.

you may want to check if an audio matrix is needed

$279.95 is low for a 24 port switch. This is THE backbone of your whole system and where most problems stem from

1 year of 4sight is included with composer HE

Make sure all equipment is the current version.

Just a couple things off the top of my head:

The install and programing of the switches/dimmers is high, you may want to install yourself or get a price from an electrician.

7 zones of audio, just go with one amp, you can always add one later.

you may want to check if an audio matrix is needed

$279.95 is low for a 24 port switch. This is THE backbone of your whole system and where most problems stem from

1 year of 4sight is included with composer HE

Make sure all equipment is the current version.

Ok. Thanks for your input. Yeah I know he is charging a lot for installing dimmers. I also think he is charging too much to install TV's and speakers. I really do appreciate your feedback.

Where are the interfaces (TSs, SRs, etc.) in that quote? Also agree that $300 for a switch is SOHO-grade. Go and have hime price an enterprise switch w/PoE and some decent WiFi equipment too (you'll need it if you go 7"802.11).

That is still CRAZY high. I'd fly down from Colorado to do it at that price. As mentioned above, you can not go wrong with the Codeman. And that comes with the piece of mind that you"ll get what you want out of the system.

I could contact them, but who would do the install? I'm pretty good with installing everything so if they pre-program it for me I could possibly install everything myself. It seems pretty straight forward on install. Just curious if the package comes pre-programmed do I need to do anything when it arrives to me or just install everything?

I could contact them, but who would do the install? I'm pretty good with installing everything so if they pre-program it for me I could possibly install everything myself. It seems pretty straight forward on install. Just curious if the package comes pre-programmed do I need to do anything when it arrives to me or just install everything?

They're the ones you need to talk to about you doing the install, but I would imagine under the right circumstance they're open to that.

They can get a certain amount of it done and programmed prior to install if they choose. Different dealers have different feelings on these things. Just call him. He can answer your questions in a matter minutes I'll bet.

Just occurred to me that the dealer you are using is probably not a licensed electrician and so they are probably adding the costs of a licensed electrician into the dimmer installation price.

I usually just give the all of the High Voltage parts to the electrician and let them install as part of their work. Saves the client a ton of money since I don't have to pay my guy to do that portion of the work and the electricians don't mind installing them since they have flying leads on each unit. Makes it easier for them.

I'd work on narrowing down EXACTLY what you need (since the dimmer counts are already so out of line already) then you can get a bottom line price on the job. Right now they are probably just handing you budget numbers until things get refined.

I just had to look at the post and was shocked at some of the pricing you were being quoted.

I would definitely find another dealer to provide a quote.

Good Luck and please keep this post going and updated with your progress.

I believe this is the dealer I used in Houston. I recommend going back and revising the proposal to make sure they know exactly what you want. IMO, its better to start the proposal high and then go down. Like I think I mentioned earlier, I interviewed all of the control4 dealers in Houston (about 2 years ago) and this dealer was much more professional, had a showroom, experience, etc. At the time I thought their prices were on the higher end, but they did a great job and they always returned my calls, emails, and finished the job to my satisfaction. I also looked into getting an out of town dealer, but decided against it because I thought it was important to have someone local in case a problem popped up. (Not to take anything away from Cody because he obviously knows his stuff and should be rewarded for all the time he spends on this board and his blog!). Good luck and let me know if you have any questions on my install.

tum

Edit to add: turns out this proposal is NOT from my old dealer.

I believe this is the dealer I used in Houston. I recommend going back and revising the proposal to make sure they know exactly what you want. IMO, its better to start the proposal high and then go down. Like I think I mentioned earlier, I interviewed all of the control4 dealers in Houston (about 2 years ago) and this dealer was much more professional, had a showroom, experience, etc. At the time I thought their prices were on the higher end, but they did a great job and they always returned my calls, emails, and finished the job to my satisfaction. I also looked into getting an out of town dealer, but decided against it because I thought it was important to have someone local in case a problem popped up. (Not to take anything away from Cody because he obviously knows his stuff and should be rewarded for all the time he spends on this board and his blog!). Good luck and let me know if you have any questions on my install.

tum

Edit to add: turns out this proposal is NOT from my old dealer.

If you don't mind me asking who was your old dealer? This dealer I got the bid from does not have a showroom and doesn't really return phone calls. That's one thing that makes me very hesitant on going with this guy besides the price. He is very knowledgable about Control4 though.

Just occurred to me that the dealer you are using is probably not a licensed electrician and so they are probably adding the costs of a licensed electrician into the dimmer installation price.

I usually just give the all of the High Voltage parts to the electrician and let them install as part of their work. Saves the client a ton of money since I don't have to pay my guy to do that portion of the work and the electricians don't mind installing them since they have flying leads on each unit. Makes it easier for them.

I'd work on narrowing down EXACTLY what you need (since the dimmer counts are already so out of line already) then you can get a bottom line price on the job. Right now they are probably just handing you budget numbers until things get refined.

That's something I was considering as well, but wouldn't the Control4 dealer charge me for programming each light as well? Also, the Control4 dealers are saying that if the other company installs the light switch then they will not warranty it.

Archived