C4 Forums | Control4

Cost of Control4 in a house, just wondering

M3AL

Hey guys

I am new to this site and like all new guys I am here to figure out what I need and approximately what its going to cost to get Control4. I just want to be as educated as possible when I go to meet the installer. We are building a new house and I was wondering if I posted the plans of my house and a description of what i want to do one of you guys could help me figure out what equipment I will need to do what I want. That way I know I will not be taken advantage of when I go to see the installer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron

It won't hurt if you post it. The worst that can happen is nobody responds, so I say you post it. It might even help me incase I forgot something.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the layout of my house to be built.

I would like total light control throughout the house. Home theater is in the basement but would like to be able to have movies from the bluray changer play throughout the home as well as ipod. I would also like to have temp control throughout the entire house. Whatever other info you might require let me know. I know I seem like an idiot. I would just like my house to run smoothly.

Here is the layout of my house to be built.

I would like total light control throughout the house. Home theater is in the basement but would like to be able to have movies from the bluray changer play throughout the home as well as ipod. I would also like to have temp control throughout the entire house. Whatever other info you might require let me know. I know I seem like an idiot. I would just like my house to run smoothly. I have been reading lots about C4 and it seems like everday there is a new feature. I just want all my television, audio, climate control, and lighting to work in unison. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Smart wiring list

Just looking at your wiring list:

1. You don't have any Cat5,5e or 6 running to the TV locations?

2. Are you going to have everything in an AV room or where the TV's are?

3. Security system?

4. Cameras?

5. Motorized Shades?

Can you list:

1. How many TV's per room?

2. How many dimmers? and also if they are 3-way or 4-way?

3. Whole house audio? if so, how many zones?

4. How many rooms with surround sound?

5. How many touch screens?

6. How many HVAC controls?

It's hard to see on your attachment because its such a big file and you have to keep going side to side and up and down.

M3AL

1. There is Cat 5e to each TV

2. Everything will be in an AV room in the finished basement

3. Yes not sure what brand or model yet

4. No Cameras

5. No Motorized shades

6 There will be 5 tv's in separate rooms in the house.

7. 10 dimmers 3way

8. Yes three zones

9. 1 room Media room with 7.1 Surround

10. 3 Touch screens

11. 2 Hvac

Thanks for the reply by the way. I feel pretty inferior to you techies on here.

Aaron

If I can make a suggestion, wait on buying the touch screens (if portable). The in-wall touch screens are nice, but personally with the SR-250 I dont every use my portable touch screens except to watch my nursery camera and *occasionally* to play some music that isnt part of a playlist or from Rhapsody. I am considering selling all 3 of my 10.5" screens and getting one 7".

Yeah I personally don't like the portable touchscreens but the in-walls definately. I don't want to carry around something that's electronic. Especially if my wife was to walk around with it, she tends to drop things a lot. LOL.

+1 on both m3al and ILoveC4's posts. Use your budget running wire:

* Speaker Wiring to all speaker locations

* Control (keypad) wiring (CAT5) to head height in every room by the door, or anywhere else you would possibly want a keypad

* Motion sensor / door / window contact security wiring.

* Network / Phone / Video wiring to all rooms -- May be better to run conduit to these locations, and then just pull in what you need later. Speaker, Keypad and Security wiring is pretty much fixed, and everyone knows what to run. For Video, and how many network drops you'll want, you might change your mind in the future, so conduit is good.

RyanE

One thing I disagree with here is placing a priority on security wiring. I have wired contacts for motion & doors, but all of my window contacts are wireless and they have been flawless. Wiring window contacts is a bit of a pain (especially if the top and bottom parts of the windows slide like most) and likely will void your window warranties.

My personal priority list would be:

1) Speaker wiring

2) Video wiring/cat6 if doing video distribution.

3) Motion sensors, door contacts, glass break sensors, heat detectors, security keypad, siren

4) Network wiring & control 4 keypads (if its a small house or you have a strong central wireless network the wireless keypads are fine)

5) Cat5e to camera locations (2 to any that might require audio)

Valid point about the security wiring. I personally had the time, so I did it, and don't regret it.

The biggest difference is the initial cost savings (wired sensors are much, much cheaper), and not having to replace batteries every 3-10 years per device (depending on device and device type).

I am also of the opinion that in-wall touchscreens are awesome, wireless I don't find as useful, although I *do* like the 7" wi-fi, I don't use it as much as I use the remotes and in-wall touchscreens. The fact that they do Photo Screensaver makes the in-walls that much nicer.

RyanE

Just wanted to get an opinion, I have a buddy that sells Crestron, AMX, HAI and Elan. I told him I want Control4 and he said they have approached him a few times but he never went forward. He said he would setup an account so he can do my house with it. My question is since he has already been selling all the above Automation systems, should I trust him in programming for Control4? He is very good at what he does, I've seen a lot of his projects and they are amazing. He doesn't live in Houston though. Any suggestions?

Just wanted to get an opinion, I have a buddy that sells Crestron, AMX, HAI and Elan. I told him I want Control4 and he said they have approached him a few times but he never went forward. He said he would setup an account so he can do my house with it. My question is since he has already been selling all the above Automation systems, should I trust him in programming for Control4? He is very good at what he does, I've seen a lot of his projects and they are amazing. He doesn't live in Houston though. Any suggestions?

He's willing to spend 4 days out of town at training just to help you out?

That's a good friend...

Well,

At the risk of sounding like a dealer, there is a lot more to a successful project than just placing the opening order and attending Tech1 training. Unless he want's to make C4 a core of his business it would be a bad investment on behalf of both parties.

I would not want to be someone's first project after Tech1. I lived with C4 in my house for quite a while before I even attempted to replace a universal remote, much less a whole home.

Archived