C4 Forums | Control4

Domosapiens Keypad Audio Control

BY96

I can't figure out if this driver will work for my set up. I am using two keypads to control audio in separate parts of the house. My plan has been to use each of the first four buttons to turn on my wife's playlist with one tap, my playlist with two, and a third option with three, for each of four rooms, and then the fifth button turns off all the rooms. The volume controls would then be set to control all four rooms. 

From reading the description, the Keypad Audio Control drive is meant to use the fifth button for audio in that room, leaving the other four for lights and shades. Can I use it in my set-up, so the first four or five buttons can all be used with audio in different rooms, not just the fifth button in one room? 

Thanks! 

@pbir
Too long since I’ve played with this driver to remember.  It does have a free trial period so that may be your best option.

Bummer! You were the one I was most hoping to hear feedback from!

If no one else has input, I will just go with the trial period. Just didn’t want to waste my dealer’s time if the driver is not going to be useful for my needs.

I love the idea of muting by pressing both volume buttons, but I am thinking this driver isn’t intended for multiple rooms with one keypad, but hopefully I am wrong.

Thanks for responding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This driver has been designed as a front end to the Control4 Room Control driver.  It is therefore intended to manage a single room, but it may be connected to more than one keypad in that room.

There is also the possibility to 'capture' audio from another room and listen to it in the driver's designated room.

We do have another driver (Keypad Enhancer) which supports pressing both Up/Down buttons with related Events. This driver also has many other functions, such as a selector capability.

You could likely do what you want to do with a combination of the Keypad Enhancer driver, the Control4 Room Control driver and some programming.  

This driver has been designed as a front end to the Control4 Room Control driver.  It is therefore intended to manage a single room, but it may be connected to more than one keypad in that room.
There is also the possibility to 'capture' audio from another room and listen to it in the driver's designated room.
We do have another driver (Keypad Enhancer) which supports pressing both Up/Down buttons with related Events. This driver also has many other functions, such as a selector capability.
You could likely do what you want to do with a combination of the Keypad Enhancer driver, the Control4 Room Control driver and some programming.  

Thank you! I will look into the Keypad Enhancer option.

28 minutes ago, pbir said:

Please explain.

Thanks Paul.  Please excuse my ignorance, but I believe we are locked to using button 4 or 5 to set cycling of playlists/stations?  I’m sorry if I’m wrong, its been a minute since I’ve installed the driver for a client.  My recollection was that was the only thing I didn’t love, but otherwise it is fantastic as are all of your keypad drivers.  Fantastic work. 

Quick question about the Keypad Enhancer driver... Can I use both single/double/triple tapping and "press and hold" on the same button, or are they mutually exclusive? I see both options provided in the events list, but I noticed that in the driver properties, you have to setup each button as "N" or "H", making me think it is tapping or press/hold but not both. 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, BY96 said:

Quick question about the Keypad Enhancer driver... Can I use both single/double/triple tapping and "press and hold" on the same button, or are they mutually exclusive? I see both options provided in the events list, but I noticed that in the driver properties, you have to setup each button as "N" or "H", making me think it is tapping or press/hold but not both

If you set the button type to 'N', you may use the Single/Double/Triple taps (based on the 'MultiPress Used' property) as well as Press and Hold (and even Double and Triple Press and Hold).  The appropriate events will be triggered.  The 'H' button type is used when you want a different paradigm: two actions on a button (Single Tap or Press and Hold) to trigger two different events.  Folks coming to Control4 from Vantage are used to these two actions on a same button.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, I am very happy with the Keypad Enhancer driver. I have been able to utilize the "8th" button for mute, trigger additional playlists with "press and hold" options, etc. The driver is an excellent investment to open up more potential from the already amazing keypads. 

I do have one questions, probably for @pbir. Maybe this should be obvious, but I discovered that if I "Reconfigure" the keypad in the keypad's Properties (i.e., moving the keys around), the changes are not reflected in the Keypad Enhancer driver, only the original keypad driver. Is there any way to easily move programming around (i.e., swapping keys) in the Keypad Enhancer driver without having to copy/paste all the programming? 

Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...

I have another question about using the Keypad Enhancer driver. This time, instead of music, I am getting one for lights and shades. If I set a button to be a "Selector," can I also have it trigger an event? For example, if I have a light, can I use one button to trigger the light on at 60% and then use the up and down buttons to raise and lower the light? If I want to use the up and down buttons to raise and lower several different lights separately, I can have each light as a selector, but can the selector button also trigger an initial event, like setting the light at 60%? 

Hope my question makes sense. Thanks!

Yes. But you can also do hold to dim (or hold to brighten) on that same button.

I initially played with the up down buttons for lights making them change based on the scene - it was a disaster (likely due to my programming, but it was just too hard for us to remember).

I've learned to leave the keypads with the up down to be "fixed" to whatever button is above it (in our case, volume for music). In the few spots I have double gang keypads, I only put the up down button set on 1 of the keypads and just use a regular button on the other.

I think domo has some cool drivers to make the up down assign to the last button you clicked (and then go back to something default). I don't remember which one though. 

56 minutes ago, SpencerT said:

Yes. But you can also do hold to dim (or hold to brighten) on that same button.

I initially played with the up down buttons for lights making them change based on the scene - it was a disaster (likely due to my programming, but it was just too hard for us to remember).

I've learned to leave the keypads with the up down to be "fixed" to whatever button is above it (in our case, volume for music). In the few spots I have double gang keypads, I only put the up down button set on 1 of the keypads and just use a regular button on the other.

I think domo has some cool drivers to make the up down assign to the last button you clicked (and then go back to something default). I don't remember which one though. 

I really like the idea of a driver to assign the up/down buttons to the last button clicked. I will research that possibility. 

All my other keypads are for music and I just use the up/down buttons for volume in whichever room(s) is/are playing (single tap) or to skip the playlist ahead or back (double tap). It has worked very well. This is my first one for lighting, so trying to figure out how to best use the up/down buttons. 

Thanks!

Update - I couldn't find a driver that does what you described on Driver Central from Domo. Will keep looking. 

19 minutes ago, BY96 said:

I really like the idea of a driver to assign the up/down buttons to the last button clicked. I will research that possibility. 

All my other keypads are for music and I just use the up/down buttons for volume in whichever room(s) is/are playing (single tap) or to skip the playlist ahead or back (double tap). It has worked very well. This is my first one for lighting, so trying to figure out how to best use the up/down buttons. 

Thanks!

Update - I couldn't find a driver that does what you described on Driver Central from Domo. Will keep looking. 

I *think* it's this one. 

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/keypad-enhancer/

There was a thread a while ago where lots of members chimed in with their best practices on keypads. Being new to keypads myself, it was really helpful.

I'll see if I can find it, and I'll link back to it here. 

Just now, SpencerT said:

That is the one I am using already. It allows for the up/down to be used with the "selector" buttons, but I haven't seen where it will automatically assign the up/down buttons to the last button tapped, but maybe that is essentially what was my original question... If a button is considered a "selector" button for purposes of the up/down buttons, can it also trigger an event? Or once a selector button, all it can do is select. 

I am sure @pbir can weigh in. 

Thanks for looking for it @SpencerT!

@BY96The Keypad Audio Control driver does have the ability to associate the Up/Down keys to other buttons than the Selector button.  Look in the driver's documentation, in the section KEYPAD TRACKING.  This was introduced in V11.0.0.  The current version is 11.0.4.

Paul

4 hours ago, pbir said:
@BY96The Keypad Audio Control driver does have the ability to associate the Up/Down keys to other buttons than the Selector button.  Look in the driver's documentation, in the section KEYPAD TRACKING.  This was introduced in V11.0.0.  The current version is 11.0.4.
Paul

Thanks! I know the thread was originally about the Keypad Audio Control driver, but I am using the Keypad Enhancer driver. My question is whether with that driver, if I can have a selector button trigger an event and in addition to selecting the use of the up/down keys. Thanks for your help!

4 minutes ago, pbir said:

@BY96  The Keypad Enhancer driver has events which are triggered when a Selector becomes active (1, 2, 3, ...).  These events are at the very bottom of the list in Programming.

Thank you! That is extremely helpful. But just so I am clear, when a button is identified as a Selector in Properties for the driver, it does not respond to single, double, triple, taps, correct? It is limited to events just based on being active? 

Thanks again! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.