C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa Skill will not link (Sep 2023)

AMartin

Hi, I just the other day decided to renew my 4sight subscription and relink my Alexa account having not used it for a few years.

I have been trying for the past 2 days to activate the skill and keep getting notification that its "Unable to link the skill at this time".

I checked the forums and found this was an issue back in April/May with the last posts implying it was a known issue and had been resolved. I also note that all of the reviews on the Alexa skill page say about this issue. I have tried with various iOS devices I have at home to eliminate the possibility of device or OS issues being to blame. I have also fully reset the whole network (was having electrical work this morning so effectively power cycled the house). Can see the voice control info available on the Control4 website but nothing has helped.

So is this still an ongoing issue that nobody has commented about since May, am I just the only unlucky one or is this skill completely broken? Given how much Control4 touts voice control ability on their site I would hope its an area they are still actively patching and improving, otherwise my 4sight renewal was a waste of money as I don't really need to remote access side of it and only got it for the voice integration.

Thanks

IMG_2451.PNG

IMG_2452.PNG

I have the same issue this morning... Alexa wasn't discovering new voice commands I had created via the Control4 customer site so I disabled the skill to re-enable to see if that would resolve the issue... but now I get the "unable to link the skill at this time" message and have no Alexa-Control4 connectivity in our house which is a problem !! Nothing on the Control4 status page... :( Status.control4.com

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting timing. I just got home after a day away, and found the same think. I unlinked, rebooted controller, tried again, but no success.

Not sure what the deal is this time. Nothing reported yet on the Snap One side of things in terms of outage or problems. Maybe just started...

Reached out a few ways to C4 and they got back a few hours ago to say there had been (another) outage globally with the linking.

They implied it was only a short outage, depends on your definition of short.

Have now linked correctly. So if you’ve had the same issue try again now.

Mine would not link - working fine and then stopped working.

I have the old Amazon/Alexa driver and while the license was there is was not making the screen show active. We copied it, removed it, then clicked on sET. Then pasted the license key back in and selected SET.

It came on line - the Alexa driver "skill" then synced easily and it has been working ever since.

Also had the LIFX driver become disconnected as well - this after updating to the 3.40 version of the Control4 software.

The cure for this was rebooting the controller. 

The problem - it seems - was that the driver and the lights were being loaded in the reverse order that they should be loaded and rebooting sorted that out. Thank you Chowmain technical support!

38 minutes ago, TexasBill said:

Mine would not link - working fine and then stopped working.

I have the old Amazon/Alexa driver and while the license was there is was not making the screen show active. We copied it, removed it, then clicked on sET. Then pasted the license key back in and selected SET.

It came on line - the Alexa driver "skill" then synced easily and it has been working ever since.

Also had the LIFX driver become disconnected as well - this after updating to the 3.40 version of the Control4 software.

The cure for this was rebooting the controller. 

The problem - it seems - was that the driver and the lights were being loaded in the reverse order that they should be loaded and rebooting sorted that out. Thank you Chowmain technical support!

Your issues are totally unrelated to this thread

Hope this helps:

Sep 27, 2023
Resolved - The partial service outage affecting Alexa and Google integration with Control4 systems is now fully resolved as of 9:37am ET. Alexa and Google are back online, and both should be working normally with no action required from dealers or customers. We will further investigate to understand the root cause of this occurrence.

• 3 months later...

So.. I have been looking and can not seem to find anything.. I would LOVE to have a means to link and unlink the control4 skill daily via alexa.  I am not sure what is going on but it kinda sucks.. Im having the same issue most others seem to have.. where it stops.. but if I unlink and link it works.. Im not sure whats up or WHY that happens..

For me seems like every 2 days give or take I have to relink the account.. Unlink and link again and it works..  Tried just about everything that I can to try to fix it..

41 minutes ago, meyerder said:

So.. I have been looking and can not seem to find anything.. I would LOVE to have a means to link and unlink the control4 skill daily via alexa.  I am not sure what is going on but it kinda sucks.. Im having the same issue most others seem to have.. where it stops.. but if I unlink and link it works.. Im not sure whats up or WHY that happens..

For me seems like every 2 days give or take I have to relink the account.. Unlink and link again and it works..  Tried just about everything that I can to try to fix it..

What controller and OS version? 

HC-800 3.3.0  Using Unifi for the home network..  While I could see maybe the wi-fi items leveraging Kasa could have issues I have issues even with regular C4 Items such as dimmers and rooms.. The C4 App works to control them.. the Bridge aspect between Alexa and C4 seems to have issues...   Reboot controller on a regular basis (does not seem to help) it always works via the C4 App though.. so something is flaky

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.