C4 Forums | Control4

Best solution for 4-6 Zone system

What is the best matrix to use for 4-6 zones of Control4 audio? I know using a matrix and an amplifier is probably the way to go, however, they can be very pricey. Are there other good non Control4 Matrix Amplifiers with reliable Control4 driver integration? All I would be doing is connecting the audio streams from my main controller. Note: All 5.1 or separate systems will have their own controllers in this project.

Thanks for the help!

I still have the very old C4 8 zone matrix amps -C4-16AMP3-B.  They are pretty old but have been very reliable and can be bought for a very reasonable price on ebay.  Main downside is no digital audio in.  There are four zone versions (C4-8AMP1-B) as well and these have two digital audio (RCA - coax) inputs.

Just now, zaphod said:

I still have the very old C4 8 zone matrix amps -C4-16AMP3-B.  They are pretty old but have been very reliable and can be bought for a very reasonable price on ebay.  Main downside is no digital audio in.  There are four zone versions (C4-8AMP1-B) as well and these have two digital audio (RCA - coax) inputs.

Do they still manufacture these or are they discontinued?

Just now, Carter Hobson said:

Do they still manufacture these or are they discontinued?

They have been discontinued for a long time.  But you can buy for around $300 or so on ebay.  The next generation of amps were very unreliable, and weren't matrix, just multi-zone amps, but these old ones are workhorses.  So you don't need an audio matrix in the amps that I am talking about.

6 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Anthem MDX are great matrix amps, as well as Episode Response series (not as good as Anthem but will be fine for basic background music)

this was great to learn.....  i always keep one eye open as i expect our trust old C4 8Zone is only moments away......

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

this was great to learn.....  i always keep one eye open as i expect our trust old C4 8Zone is only moments away......

Do you have the really old C4-16AMP3-B?   I feel if stuff makes it through a decade then it will probably last a very long time.  The next generation of C4 amps didn't last very long at all.

13 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

I think around the 2008 timeframe. To me, scary old.  :)

In some ways yes.  But if they have lasted this long then a lot of the things that can happen, like capacitor plague, would have happened by now.  One of the things that C4 seems to have had an issue with was power supplies, but not so much with these brutes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.