C4 Forums | Control4

HDCP 1.4 and 2.2 - can someone explain in plain english

eggzlot

22 minutes ago, videostorm said:

The 4Kp30 1.4 encoders are only good if you know your source will output 4K with hdcp 1.4.  Most won't.

Thanks. This is a good tip. I had sort of considered them a good buy configured for 1080P.

I saw a bunch of CVE's on Uray gear so I was a little weary of that brand... but to my inexperienced eye some of these look like they are all from the same manufacturer. Perhaps the majority of the firmware is based on the same few packages and they all have the same vulnerabilities.

10 hours ago, Shoe said:

Thanks. This is a good tip. I had sort of considered them a good buy configured for 1080P.

I saw a bunch of CVE's on Uray gear so I was a little weary of that brand... but to my inexperienced eye some of these look like they are all from the same manufacturer. Perhaps the majority of the firmware is based on the same few packages and they all have the same vulnerabilities.

All the 3rd party encoders we have tested are using older versions of embedded Linux which are not updated for security.  No malware or anything like that, but they definitely shouldn't be considered a secure device that you can expose through a firewall.  No reason to do that anyway, so no real issue in most applications.

Basically they are not tamperproof to an attacker who is already on your network.  However, lots of other smart home gear is the same in that regard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.