C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa into c4 matrix

Hi All, is anyone using Alexa as a source for their whole house audio ? Basically, since I am all setup with alexa devices, I would like to have one alexa speaker output connected to my control4 8 ZONE AMP and be able to simply ask it to play music and through programming have it turn on the audio zones. I have a few ideas in mind but I dont want it to require memorizing many vocal commands. If anyone has done something similar and would like to share ... That would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you either need one Alexa for each zone, or you need to use complex voice commands to route the audio with voice control only. You could use the c4 app or an interface to activate a room for the audio input. Josh ai is the only voice control with intuitive voice control over audio for multiple rooms. (conspiracy theory warning) The other voice control solutions in the market want you to only use their interface or apps so that they can track and use your data for their benefit and advertising.

I dont think anyone on here would recommend using Alexa as an audio source.

7 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

(conspiracy theory warning) The other voice control solutions in the market want you to only use their interface or apps so that they can track and use your data for their benefit and advertising.

That is not a conspiracy it is the truth; goes for all apps really. Everyone wants their UI to be what people interact with. Spotify doesnt like people using Sonos to control their music. Sonos doesnt love (they accept it) people using Control4 to control their product. Only company that seems to not care is Lutron.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, uscpsycho said:

Why not??? If it's the audio quality, any other reason?

The main reason is you just cant integrate it into Control4 very well.

There is some distributed audio solution out there that uses Echo's in each room going into an amp that I think is really neat but trying to use Alexa as an audio source for Control4 just isnt a good idea.

On 1/9/2024 at 7:28 AM, Neo1738 said:

Yeah I gave up on that a while back. Especially once I got Tidal as it is a much better quality.

But isn't that kind of a different issue?  I use Spotify for playing music on Alexa - you can select what you want as your default streaming source.  I am pretty sure that you can use Tidal as well.

https://tidal.com/partners/amazonalexa

Enjoy TIDAL on all your Amazon Echo devices

Getting started

• Open the Amazon Alexa App on your phone
  • Go to “Settings” > “Music”
  • Tap “Link New Service” > “TIDAL”
  • Click “Enable to Use” and link your TIDAL account
  • Head back to “Settings” > “Music”
  • Select “TIDAL” under “Default Services”

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.