C4 Forums | Control4

Bulk add/remove device from room

Popolou

Hi

My dealer appears to have added a thermostat to every room in the project. There are over 50 rooms. Each of the rooms have their own particular devices and layout in their navigator. Is there a way to bulk remove a device from a room by unticking (say) the box to that room? I presume if there is a way they added it in bulk, there may well be a way to remove it too rather than going through each room in turn?

Cheers

Pops

10 minutes ago, Popolou said:

Yes, this one device appears in each room’s Navigator. I can make the change to one room then “Apply” it to the others but I suspect that overwrites the existing room settings.

Correct.  It does.  Unfortunately, some devices (eg thermostats) are added to the view in every room when added to a project.  They also become the room temperature for all unconnected rooms (a very frustrating default in my view).

1 hour ago, Popolou said:

Yes, this one device appears in each room’s Navigator. I can make the change to one room then “Apply” it to the others but I suspect that overwrites the existing room settings.

On the bottom of the navigator settings there is a button that says apply to. You can pick rooms and bulk update 

Thank both. So in the round, adding a device to the Navigators globally can be done in a few clicks but removing it so that it lives in the right place requires its removal from all the navigators individually. Wow. Seems like there is a long list of items affecting the UX within Composer which has been long overlooked.

6 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

It is what you want to do. That is how you bulk fix it 

I suspect our lines are crossed. Having just tested this on two rooms by removing the device from one and applying it to another, that subsequent room lost its own configuration for Comfort and became an exact copy of the first. I simply want to strip that device from all the navigators that it was added to in error without affecting any existing arrangement for those rooms. Unless i am doing something wrong....?

2 minutes ago, Popolou said:

I suspect our lines are crossed. Having just tested this on two rooms by removing the device from one and applying it to another, that subsequent room lost its own configuration for Comfort and became an exact copy of the first. I simply want to strip that device from all the navigators that it was added to in error without affecting any existing arrangement for those rooms. Unless i am doing something wrong....?

Right, if you want to bulk remove this is the best way to do it and then reset the other rooms

10 hours ago, Popolou said:

Thank both. So in the round, adding a device to the Navigators globally can be done in a few clicks but removing it so that it lives in the right place requires its removal from all the navigators individually. Wow. Seems like there is a long list of items affecting the UX within Composer which has been long overlooked.

This is correct and a royal PITA if you have different setups across your different rooms and then add a thermostat later (I’ve gone through your pain on numerous occasions).

If you have / want the same (Comfort in this case) setup in multiple rooms then @msgreenf approach will work perfectly.

On 12/23/2023 at 11:27 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

a very frustrating default in my view

I sort of disagree. I would want to control all thermostats from any room in the house.

That said, the easy way to fix it in this case is to clear ALL comfort from any one room (unless there's 'other' things you want everywhere then leave those) and then apply to all, then do each room with what you want. That's how a dealer SHOULD setup things to begin with. While 'apply to...' overwriting previous settings is annoying, it's still a step up from not having the ability to 'apply to..' at all.

More annoying to ME is that the first t-stat dropped into the system auto binds to all room (which is fine as such) but adding a different t-stat to another room doesn't at least overwrite the default tstat for that room (ie the nav displays that t-stat's value on the main page)

On this topic, I generally favorite the local room to make it a single-click to access, but is there a way to re-lable "Comfort" to something else or make it have a different icon?  It is confusing for people to see two identical icons both showing same temp.  

Edited by cnicholson

15 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

More annoying to ME is that the first t-stat dropped into the system auto binds to all room (which is fine as such) but adding a different t-stat to another room doesn't at least overwrite the default tstat for that room (ie the nav displays that t-stat's value on the main page)

Agree this is super annoying 

10 minutes ago, cnicholson said:

On this topic, I generally favorite the local room to make it a single-click to access, but is there a way to re-lable "Comfort" to something else or make it have a different icon?  It is confusing for people to see two identical icons both showing same temp.  

No

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

I sort of disagree. I would want to control all thermostats from any room in the house.)

I can understand why many (most) projects would go that way.  I haven’t followed this approach (for various reasons) and have an underfloor heating “room” and an aircon “room” where I can control all of these items from.  As I have around 30 thermostats (for aircon and underfloor heating) in each of my residences, I have not wanted to have them all appear in every room.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

This is extremely annoying and not just at start up.  I have around 20 “rooms” (in each of my residences) where I don’t have a thermostat.  Many of these are virtual rooms (eg a room for “Power and Solar”, a “Settings” room, a “Monitoring” room etc,) . I tend to add thermostats from time to time (e.g. one for geyser control was added recently, another to monitor the heat in my manifold for my water based underfloor heating was added a year or three back and I had one added last week to control my Chiller pool.  Each of these when added has created an auto connection to the 20 or so rooms without thermostats and it is very annoying! Especially as this cannot be resolved with HE. At least I am very aware of this now and so careful to make sure that the right things are done when a thermostat is added (I.e disconnect unwanted connections and remove it from multiple rooms).

On 12/24/2023 at 9:18 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

I have not wanted to have them all appear in every room.

I'm in the same boat, creating a dashboard has allowed me to be able to view all of the many 'stats in play here (3 per room: air, underfloor and FCU intake) in a single view whilst giving the family an ability to oversee their own environment compartmentalised to their respective room. The need to condense all of this information in a way to allow them to use it was key in our residence. Nonetheless, quite interesting indeed to hear these differing views.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.