C4 Forums | Control4

Whistle Projects - SolarEdge Monitoring Driver

image.thumb.png.a801b748e2fbfd59abcefbc9d7de5186.png

Overview

This driver interfaces with the SolarEdge API to collect and store values for Solar Power generated, Power consumed by the Site, and Grid Power used by or returned to the Grid.

All values are updated every 6 minutes due API limits imposed by SolarEdge.

Features

• Clean UI
  • Displays Grid Power, Consumption and Solar Power
  • Displays Daily Totals
  • Programmable variables for:
    • Grid Power
    • Consumption
    • Solar Power
    • Connection Status
    • Exporting/Importing
    • Daily Totals

*Note: Consumption and Grid Power is only supported on SolarEdge systems configured with appropriate energy meters.

Limitations

• Due to API limitations, data refresh is only updated every 6 minutes. 
    Daily Totals are updated at 30 minute intervals.
  • Consumption and Grid Power is only supported on SolarEdge systems configured with energy meters.
  • For systems that only support displaying Solar Power, power readings will only update every 15 minutes.
  • Only tested on single Inverter systems

Trial

This driver comes with a 30 day trial, which begins the moment a dealer installs the driver. This should allow sufficient time to test functionality and ensure this driver meets your requirements.

FAQ

Why does the UI say 'Offline' and won't update?

Ensure you check:

• Your inverter is still connected to the internet
  • There is no outage on for the SolarEdge API
  • Your Controller has the correct date/time for your time zone.

Note: Connection issues can be typically confirmed by opening the mySolarEdge App on your phone, and checking the app still has a connection to your inverter.

Does this driver support batteries?

Not at this time. If you are interested, reach out.

Available at DriverCentral:

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/solaredge/

Screenshot_20240418-112017.thumb.png.7a614ecb567521ef75eab55c277414c0.png                            solar-edge_300x300.png.6687e6cdc890e112ea6f489956203db1.png

45 minutes ago, Dueport said:

Looks great!!!

Thanks. We went for a simple clean look.

2 minutes ago, Topfox said:

Cool. I have a large Solar edge based system. I’ll give the trial a shot.

Sounds good. Send us an email if you have any feedback.

5 hours ago, WhistleProjects said:

Thanks. We went for a simple clean look.

Sounds good. Send us an email if you have any feedback.

I don’t seem to be getting the correct graphics. This is on an iPhone 14 latest iOS. 

IMG_5272.png

30 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Have you refreshed navigators?  I don’t think that will make any difference as I assume this is a web based UI but still worth trying just in case!

Yeah no dice. 

8 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Pity!  Good luck - will be keen to know what the fix is!

9 hours ago, Topfox said:

Yeah no dice. 

9 hours ago, Topfox said:

Same experience on an iPad mini too. 

We've just launched a fix at DriverCentral. v20240405 updates the graphics to something more iOS friendly.

We have tested this on an iPad both Portrait and Horizontal landscape. Please let us know if this has not resolved your issue.

Also, please ensure you Refresh Navigators after the update has been applied.

9 minutes ago, WhistleProjects said:

We've just launched a fix at DriverCentral. v20240405 updates the graphics to something more iOS friendly.

We have tested this on an iPad both Portrait and Horizontal landscape. Please let us know if this has not resolved your issue.

Also, please ensure you Refresh Navigators after the update has been applied.

Working on my iPhone now. Thanks

IMG_5273.png

Don’t know if it’s exposed through the API but if you could report the total production and consumption for that day that would be cool as well. That’s one of the stats I look at the most in the actual Solar Edge app itself. 

23 minutes ago, Topfox said:

Don’t know if it’s exposed through the API but if you could report the total production and consumption for that day that would be cool as well. That’s one of the stats I look at the most in the actual Solar Edge app itself. 

I believe we can. It's been added as a feature to look at, for when we update to API v2.

On 4/6/2024 at 8:18 AM, Topfox said:

We're currently testing a beta version of this now. If you are still within your trial window, and are interested in trialing the update please let us know.

11 hours ago, WhistleProjects said:

We're currently testing a beta version of this now. If you are still within your trial window, and are interested in trialing the update please let us know.

Would love to try it out for you. I haven’t purchased the driver yet, but am keeping an eye on it to see what features get added as I really want to buy it. For the price of the driver I’m hoping to see a few more features to justify the price for me vs just continuing to use the Solar edge app. 

15 minutes ago, Topfox said:

Would love to try it out for you. I haven’t purchased the driver yet, but am keeping an eye on it to see what features get added as I really want to buy it. For the price of the driver I’m hoping to see a few more features to justify the price for me vs just continuing to use the Solar edge app. 

Unfortunately the API call limitations affect what can be done.

To make sure we don't hit the call limits, we've used 6 minute intervals to collect solar/grid/load and 30 minute intervals to collect daily totals.

We may look to include these adjustments as properties within the drivers in the future, so the dealer can adjust them based on user preference (but restricted to below 300 calls).

If you send us an email, we will send you a copy of the beta.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a SolarEdge inverter in my solar system and I collect and display data using the SolarEdge web portal and App plus The PVOutput web page. 

What does this driver give me?  Is it just viewing the energy produced in C4? Or could you trigger events, like turn on my car charger when production > 5kW or something like that?

4 hours ago, zaphod said:

I have a SolarEdge inverter in my solar system and I collect and display data using the SolarEdge web portal and App plus The PVOutput web page. 

What does this driver give me?  Is it just viewing the energy produced in C4? Or could you trigger events, like turn on my car charger when production > 5kW or something like that?

Exactly that.

You can view your data from the Control4 interface, and if your system supports monitoring off all loads, then you can trigger things based on that.

For example when your system changes between importing or exporting, Solar Power value, grid Value,Load value.

I'm assuming you are referring to using our UI for other Solar Systems, not for SolarEdge Modbus use?

We are contemplating using this same UI to develop support for other Solar Systems, but are working on a number of other drivers first.

To be honest, we haven't thought about working with modbus yet, but we will certainly consider it.