C4 Forums | Control4

Disappearing Sessions with Latest Update

Since this latest update I’ve been having a problem with sessions disappearing. Example. I’ll be watching a cable box on my tv. After being on for a couple of hours I’ll open the phone app and the room will show no active sessions. So I have to select cable box again to then be able to control anything. Not unique to the phone app, also happening on my Halo remote. 

Haven’t messed around with it enough to know it occurs after 30 min or and hour yet. Also have noticed recently I have been seeing a similar problem listening to Pandora. After playing for awhile all of a sudden the listening session will just disappear like I ended it. 

Has anyone else seen anything like this before?

I’ve had a few weird things on OS3.4.2.  One of which related to sessions:

1. I have had advanced lighting scenes that don’t fire from programming on more than one occasion (already) - never had this problem previously.

2. I had a digital session where a room is supposed to join via programming fail.  I discovered code that I must have written years ago to catch such a situation and got a message (that I programmed years ago and have never seen) warning me of this failure.  I am hoping this is a once off but we will see!

On the Halo it actually still thinks/displays there is a session, but the buttons do nothing until I go select the source again. Then the buttons work again. This is super annoying. 

It just happened again after watching as source for under 2 hours. 

On 4/30/2024 at 8:34 PM, Topfox said:

On the Halo it actually still thinks/displays there is a session, but the buttons do nothing until I go select the source again. Then the buttons work again. This is super annoying. 

It just happened again after watching as source for under 2 hours. 

I'd check your director uptime.  If Director is restarting for any reason, sessions will act as you've described.

RyanE

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

I'd check your director uptime.  If Director is restarting for any reason, sessions will act as you've described.

RyanE

I personally add a push notice for when director reboots so I can track when it reboots - could do that to see if that’s why the sessions are disappearing 

7 hours ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve been at a loss so I will check. 

4 hours ago, eggzlot said:

I personally add a push notice for when director reboots so I can track when it reboots - could do that to see if that’s why the sessions are disappearing 

Where is that exposed being able to trigger off the director reboot?

14 minutes ago, Topfox said:

So looks like Director Restart is what is going on.  Any suggestions on where I go from here?

Need to look at director log at time right before restart and figure out what driver is causing it 

47 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Ouch.  That is a nasty problem to have! Good luck.

Luckily I know the last driver I added, so removed that one and testing again.  Fingers crossed thats all it is.

49 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Good luck!

:( unfortunately I guess it wasn't that, as the problem appears to be worse now. SMH.  I think something with the move to 3.4.2 really messed something up.  Didn't have these issues before updating. Playing around now with restoring backup and reimaging controllers to see if I can get to a steady state. Director was filled with all kind of errors.

Reimaged all my controllers back to 3.4.1 and restored to a backup from a month ago. Added the recommended push notification to capture a director restart. 

Still seeing a lot of errors in Director log. Wonder if these are normal. Either way, guess will see what happens. Also wonder if this has been an issue for awhile now and to upgrade to 3.4.2 made it more prevalent.  

I appear to have everything running smoothly again I think...lol.  Downgraded everything to 3.4.1 and then restored a 1 month old back up.  Now Im just seeing these kinds of messages in director log, but not seeing any director restarts again so far.  Been at least 8 hours.

ca10-<mac address> [1348] (1348) ERROR: handleConnect(): Error connecting [0.0.0.0:0]: Operation canceled

ca10-<mac address> [1348] (1348) ERROR: handleConnect(): Error connecting [0.0.0.0:0]: No route to host

Trying to decide if I should try the upgrade to 3.4.2 again...lol

3 hours ago, Topfox said:

I did the upgrade…..and we are back to director restarting every 2 hours. Sigh. 

Sorry to hear that.  I wonder what is causing it (my bet is on a driver that is doing something that is no longer supported, security-wise, and is handling it poorly).  Control4 has tightened up security, and drivers can no longer do things like use os.popen('os command') and other similar things.  Most drivers doing these things had the potential to cause a lot more issues than they solved.

I haven't heard any reports of this being a widespread issue, although Tech Support would hear about it long before I did.

RyanE

30 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Sorry to hear that.  I wonder what is causing it (my bet is on a driver that is doing something that is no longer supported, security-wise, and is handling it poorly).  Control4 has tightened up security, and drivers can no longer do things like use os.popen('os command') and other similar things.  Most drivers doing these things had the potential to cause a lot more issues than they solved.

I haven't heard any reports of this being a widespread issue, although Tech Support would hear about it long before I did.

RyanE

I’m also getting these messages on Director start up, which look concerning to me but maybe they are normal.  

image.png

Looks like I’m downgrading. Throwing in the towel. 

Back to 3.4.1.  Still lots of errors in the director log, but maybe they are just false errors.  Real key will be that Director doesnt restart anymore.  So guess I will see what happens throughout the night.