C4 Forums | Control4

HC1000 still dead

Yep. Everything was fine then my wife said "the remote isn't working" within 30 seconds my son came up and said the lights were not working in the lower level. I checked everything and found that the hc1000 couldn't be pinged. I power cycled it but it does nothing. Power light comes on but no other activity. The network lights flash on the nic card but no response. My dealer is contacting C4 support this morning. It might be dead or maybe something easier. I have the new V3 sitting in the box next to the rack but my dealer has been concerned about how to add it to the project and then switch to it.

Thanks. He has talked with C4 support and they want him to try a few things to the existing controller first. We will be doing that this afternoon. We will also start working on getting the new controller upgraded and ready to be inserted. If we get into trouble I will post here and try to get some of that help.

So, next question. Has anybody had issues with controllers dying like this or am I just one of the lucky ones? You don't think about how dependent you are on these systems until it is not available.

Thanks. He has talked with C4 support and they want him to try a few things to the existing controller first. We will be doing that this afternoon. We will also start working on getting the new controller upgraded and ready to be inserted. If we get into trouble I will post here and try to get some of that help.

Why waste time (and $$$) on the old HC-1000 if you intend to replace it with a new one? I Installed a new HC-1000 on my home system in about 1 hour. I even made a few mistakes and had to pull it out and readd it.

The old one will be recommissioned to my Brother-in-Law for use in his system. He installed a system after I got mine running and talked it up so it needed to get fixed anyway. I just want my system running before the wife gets home. You all know the "you spent how much money and I can't turn on the TV?" quote is coming. I hate that quote.

Why waste time (and $$$) on the old HC-1000 if you intend to replace it with a new one? I Installed a new HC-1000 on my home system in about 1 hour. I even made a few mistakes and had to pull it out and readd it.

This is also a version 1 hc-1000 that was new when we installed the system last May. It still has value to me since I paid so much for it less than a year ago.

No doubt that the old HC-1000 has value and is hopefully still under warranty. What I meant to say is it might be faster to get then new HC-1000 online and get your system back up and worry about fixing the old HC-1000 later.

My HC-1000 stopped working a while ago after some sort of power surge etc and somehow the director had been turned off. My dealer telnetted or something into it and had to turn it back on...

If the device is powering up that might be the issue?

Yep it is. We are all back up and running on the new V3. The V1 is still down but the dealer is going to work with C4 some more with it on his bench. It was not reactng to anything the C4 TS had my dealer try so it might just have died.

If you only bought it from Control4 or a dealer less than a year ago, it certainly *should* still be under warranty.

RyanE

Oh one bad note, when my dealer reconfigured the new 1000 with the zigbee settings, the coordinator and the zap got reversed. We had to recommision the mesh. I had over 80 switches/dimmers/keypads to do the 13-4-13 thing on and 9 sr-250s. That was fun. I let my dealer go home for a meatloaf dinner and I just pushed buttons all night. Still have a dozen or so non-critical ones (ones my wife doesn't use) to do today.

Anyone know what the code is to have the black and decker locks leave the old mesh and join the new one? We looked at the paperwork that came with them and we couldn't see it.

Additional comment. My dealer was great. He came out ASAP and got me up last night. People that are concerned about a dealer supported system should just mae sure they have a great dealer. C4 TS was great as well.

Oh, I did not know that. Hmmm, I wonder if there is a "wrong" way of ordering devices into the mesh which would lead to multi-hop pathways back to the controller??

No it's auto-discovering/auto-routing that determines the shortest known working path. If a node is removed it re-routes around it if possible.

mercedes,

The B&D Locks leave the mesh if you 9-tap one of those two little buttons that are not labelled.

Unfortunately, I can never remember which button is leave and which is join. One is Leave, 9-tap it, the other is Join, 4-tap it.

I typically just do each one 9 times, then each one 4 times, since it's so rare to have to do it.

:)

RyanE

Thanks. I just recieved an email from my dealer that said the EXACT same thing. You must have helped him as well.

mercedes,

The B&D Locks leave the mesh if you 9-tap one of those two little buttons that are not labelled.

Unfortunately, I can never remember which button is leave and which is join. One is Leave, 9-tap it, the other is Join, 4-tap it.

I typically just do each one 9 times, then each one 4 times, since it's so rare to have to do it.

:)

RyanE

It is still a mesh so closer devices will help farther away devices come online quicker I would think.

We were told to start with the devices closest to the coordinator and the zap.

Well that's what's on my mind. Why say this if the order is not important?

Understood, but why is the order of introdcution important?

The less hops a device has to make the faster it can work.

Example. I had a CA Wireless Relay in my system that was for testing. I looked at my ZigBee Pro routing and both my remotes were routed through several dimmers and then to the CA Relay. There were other ZigBee nodes in the room that would have provided less hops but for some reason the remotes made additional hops through devices that probably were not required. I shut off the CA Relay and the routing changed and now there are less hops for my remote.

The order in which devices are added to the mesh can determine what path other devices take through the mesh.

Archived