C4 Forums | Control4

IP Camera Drivers

control4user007

Are those the standard analog cameras, and you just want DVR control using the IR remote? A simple DVR driver can be created with the commands to allow you to control the recorder like a cable box. You won't get the camera images in the Control4 screens though.

• 2 months later...

I know that Panasonic (Axis & Mobotix) cameras work well with C4 but what other cameras work (or should I say, what drivers exist for other cameras to make integration easy?). I"m looking for bullet style cameras in particular for outdoor use?

I forgot to mention that I would prefer a day/night camera.

Thank You.

An IP bullet camera that is outdoor rated and has IR for night use? This Toshiba fits the bill. I had someone create create a custom driver, which had to be tweaked to work with 2.0. I should get them up and running today if the driver works as planned.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-IK-WB70A-Network-640x480-3-3-12mm/dp/B002C9814E

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21YFWcKunTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks! How did you decide on the Toshiba versus other cameras? Do the wires get hidden in the bracket or are they outside as shown in the picture?

Has anyone used other cameras? Just trying to get an idea of what is out there in terms of bullet cameras for outdoors.

Has anyone used any of the Speco Technology cameras successfully?

Thanks for your input!

^ The Toshiba was the only camera that seemed to fit my parameters (IP, POE, IR, outdoor, bullet) and also be reasonably priced. Control4 only supports certain resolutions (max is I think 640x480 or something close) and so that is a big limitation too. I wish C4 supported some of the awesome hi-def megapixel cameras, but so far they do not.

That black wire coming out of the camera is how the wires exit the camera. Since it is an outdoor housing, the wire seal is waterproof. I tucked the wire through that hole in the bracket for a neat install, but I had to cut off some of the things I didn't need (audio, etc)

An IP bullet camera that is outdoor rated and has IR for night use? This Toshiba fits the bill. I had someone create create a custom driver, which had to be tweaked to work with 2.0. I should get them up and running today if the driver works as planned.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-IK-WB70A-Network-640x480-3-3-12mm/dp/B002C9814E

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21YFWcKunTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

3finger -

How are you making out with that Toshiba outdoor rated camera ? I'm on the hunt for one myself. Let us know when you have a chance.

Thanks.

On the subject of Digital camera server drivers. I've got a Stardot Express6 analogue to digital camera server. Ive had it near on 4 years now and it's never failed me. But full integration of digital video streams has never been supported within Control4. Basically I get one frame of each camera come up. i know Ive set the server up correctly, because I can get live streaming into other apps on my ipad. My Dealer says only Axis and Panasonic can provide full live streaming into Control4. I need a video server with at least 6 inputs. Is there such an Axis or panasonic server with full Control4 digital video streaming within Navigator and the C4 iPad app? :)

Alex the Axis 291 has hot swappable bays which allow each bay to hold 4 analog inputs. There are 3 bays in the unit so the server will allow upto 12 cameras. Alternatively you can also use multiple 240/241q's on different IP addresses and that will work as well. These solutions will be suitable to your needs.

Most IP cameras are not compatible with Control4 not due to its functionality but due to its protocol. Control4 have specific requirements to integrate 3rd party IP cameras that do not fit 99% of cameras on the market. Basically to sum it up the Camera must support HTTP Basic Authentication for its login, URL parameters in the form of 160x120, 320x240 & 640x480 for image resolutions and the MJPEG and JPEG streams/image must be accessible via the web server on the same port.

At one stage we were looking at developing a low cost camera solution here at Convergent Technologies. We worked with some chinese manufacturers to develop a camera that suited Control4's requirements. Unfortunately due to lack of support from the manufacturer we have had to scrap the project. We managed to get two trial units working 100% but with extensive firmware modification.

Another alternative is to develop a 4store application that links up to your camera. This is a way to get around Control4's requirements. Note that this will only work on flash navigators and will not work on legacy navigators or via 4sight. One consideration when trying to achieve this is processing power of the navigators. The onscreen navigator for existing HC200/300's (ie not the new version that is about to come out) will not have the power to give you full framerates.

I hope this helps.

Archived