C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI switch

dmassart

Wowza, that looks nice! My budget could never go there, I got the Monprice 4x4 hdmi switch and really like it. No issues at all. One of its feeds is to my projector on a 120 screen, and the picture is great. Also if I remember is is only like $300ish vs $2,400...

oh, I just noticed you said "cat 5" HDMI

Yes, I have 60-70 feet from the machine room to the Tv's. HDMI direct is not an option so I need a cat5 solution. I do have a HDMI cable to the media room as it was close enough. That will come off the receiver. Nice thing about this switch it has both cat5 and HDMI outputs. Can get this switch for about $1700.

SnapAV makes a 4:4 that will output over either twisted pair or regular HDMI, that comes with four receiver baluns for under $500.

It has RS-232 control and a driver that works great. If you need more details let me know.

This one looks like a better alternative to the Monoprice 4x4? it might be sightly more expensive but at the same time I'm not spending more for baluns. Any comparisons? Opinions? Idea in pricing please

I was at my buddies shop this morning (who is a Control4 dealer) and I saw one on the shelf. I asked him about it (I need to find an HDMI solution) and he said it works great, he installs them all the time. I asked how much and he said "under $500 with the receiver baluns and everything".

I you want more info email me and I can put you in touch with him.

I'm wondering what everyone has plugged into their matrix switches? I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that a DVD and a few cable boxes or projector would fill up a 4X4 and thus an 8x8 (which increases the price significantly thus the attractiveness of a matrix comes into question) but would like to hear what others have hooked up.

Also, the matrix switch would need to have home runs to say your great room if your going to hook a dvd player up to it, otherwise you'll be running into the basement equipment room every time you want to change the dvd (assuming no dvd changer)?

What does everyone use (4x4 or more) and what's connected to it? Thanks for your input!

Msrp for the SnapAv unit is $1499.95. The baluns list at $199.95 separately.

Wow...I will touch base with my dealer later today and confirm what he told me. He said the 4:4 SnapAV Binary HDMI switch was "Under $500". I asked him if it came with the baluns and everything and he said it did.

I will seek out further confirmation to clarify things.

I'm wondering what everyone has plugged into their matrix switches? I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that a DVD and a few cable boxes or projector would fill up a 4X4 and thus an 8x8 (which increases the price significantly thus the attractiveness of a matrix comes into question) but would like to hear what others have hooked up.

Also, the matrix switch would need to have home runs to say your great room if your going to hook a dvd player up to it, otherwise you'll be running into the basement equipment room every time you want to change the dvd (assuming no dvd changer)?

What does everyone use (4x4 or more) and what's connected to it? Thanks for your input!

I have a B&K switch:

4 DirecTv DVR's

2 Sony 777 DVD changers

1 Sony single disc DVD player

1 HC-300 (Navigator)

Output to 5 tv's

Thanks for all the info. Sure not an easy decision. I have been going back and forth on the whole component versus HDMI. Now that the end of component is getting close not sure that is the way I want to go. My dealer wanted to install a 3x5 impact component switch. I think that 3 inputs are a little tight; 4x4 seams a little more reasonable for me. There may be an argument for an 8x8.

4x4 is enough for now, imo. I have a BR-DVD player with Netflix/VUDU and 2 STB boxes so far. I'll be adding a media player so I can rip DVDs/videos and watch those or I may get a BR-DVD changer. I don't want everyone to have access to my DVR so I can always leave it out of the switch. This way, no one else can change my programming. Besides with the STBs playing shows off of the DVR these days, it's even better.

I use the Monoprice switch with Monoprice baluns and it's been great so far. No complaints. I hope they introduce a 4x8 or 6x8 or 8x8 soon enough. They are so cheap, I can just give mine away when I upgrade. I can't see any reason to not buy one of these.

Oh and it is HDMI. No sense getting component at this point. I was using component baluns (1x1) over 2 cat5 cables. Now I am on HDMI using those 2 same cables instead. When I have some time, I'll think of how two 4x4's could be stacked.

My dealer wanted to install a 3x5 impact component switch. I think that 3 inputs are a little tight; 4x4 seams a little more reasonable for me. There may be an argument for an 8x8.

I would strongly suggest staying away from the 3x5 impact switch (assuming Impact Accostics) I have always had issues with them especially IR.

I will never sell or use one again. The SnapAv unit is solid and most people have success with the Monoprice switch. Read the reviews on the monoprice site- it is certainly not bulletproof. Avocation makes a great component switch as well. Their driver works flawless.

Hello, need input on the SnapAV switch discussed above.

http://www.snapav.com/snapav/DetailView.aspx?itemCode=B-210-HDMATRIX-4x4

Looks good? sounds good? C4 driver? Install issues?

I was going to go with the tried and tested (and cheaper)Monoprice 4x4 but this one looks like there is a little bit more meat and maybe even save me on IR space. (I think)

Inputs please.

8 CA wireless motion sensors, 5 wired motions, 12 wired/wireless water sensors (with shut off valve from WaterCop or alternative)

Do you mean the SnapAV 4x4. I'm still considering it it is much more expensive than the Monoprice 4x4 that I've planned but might be wort it. Thoughts?

Archived