C4 Forums | Control4

Rants....c4 thermostats

johnred

I think they need a face-lift but considering they are not as "stand-alone" as say a Honeywell TS, why bother? I never go to one to adjust and in fact, I lock all of mine. If you are looking at new construction, I'd say have the guy run two sets of wires- one for traditional placement of the stat plus a pull for a remote sensor and a run for a remote location stat. I wish I'd done this...

Controlfouruserguy- Can you explain why you would do this? Run the normal wires for your heat/air and then what? I'm in the position of new construction and your comments might help therefore my question....a little brain dead today too...

Thanks!

Controlfouruserguy- Can you explain why you would do this? Run the normal wires for your heat/air and then what? I'm in the position of new construction and your comments might help therefore my question....a little brain dead today too...

Thanks!

Most likely so you can hide your stats out of the way, and use a touch screen as the primary HVAC interface.

My t-stat works great...didnt at first for ac either....make sure you have a good heat/ac man that nows how to wire the unit up right. Took me 2 companies and finally the last guy actually checked up in the furnace and found things not wired up there...has never skipped a beat sense and only I get to control the ac not my mother in law.

We centralize ours with remote sensors when possible.. The good new is new ones are coming out that look more like the Infinity touchpanels.

I've got mixed feelings about swapping for a newer looking piece. I didn't think the originals were all that great to begin with but having to buy them over again on the chance they will look nicer is not enough for me. I'll stick to my original thoughts- work towards concealing the oricinal displays.

I've had some issues with my HVAC system and was starting to think it was the C4 thermostats, but I finally stopped screwing around with it myself and hired an HVAC pro to look at it. The circuit boards back on the furnace were improperly wired, and fried (likely as a result of the improper wiring). I'm just saying that an HVAC system is complex and its easy to blame the interface, but there could be more under the surface...

The good new is new ones are coming out that look more like the Infinity touchpanels.

Is it possible you're thinking about the Control4 thermostats that are for Energy (the WT-100)?

http://www.control4.com/energy/products/WT-100/

If so, they're not available for residential, and even if they were, they wouldn't fit many complicated scenarios, as they're built to be inexpensive, and only have relays enough for very simple setups (standard single-source heat and single-source AC).

RyanE

I wouldnt pay $600 for just a thermo, but I bet many would it if it was more than just a thermo, basically a thermo and touchscreen in one. Matter of fact I would if it could be more than just a thermo, ie interface, intercom, volume control something....

I like the current C4 thermostat. We have 4 in the house and they have worked great for us. I think they look good for a thermostat. Sure color would be nice but not at the sacrifice of a larger size. From past experiences, I like dedicated devices to stay dedicated. If you start to incorporate other functions into a device, sooner or later the devices original function starts to suffer and get ignored. I think the original palm pilot is a prime example of that. ( that just gave away my age..)

I like my touch screens. I can control my tstats from them. Works for me.

Archived