C4 Forums | Control4

GE Concord 4 w/ Superbus 2000 Automation Module & HC300 via RS232

The Global Cache is a network solution - much like a controller it talks to C4 over the network and has it's own RS232 out, so it's not an extender a such.

I am not sure I understand. Is there a solution that allows me to get over the 25' limitation on serial connections between the Superbus unit and my C4 controller?

What the Global Cache unit does is allow you to put a serial connection device that talks across the network closer to the superbus - not unlike putting a controller closer by. So instead of running a serial connection over 25 feet, you use a normal 3/6f connection and put it into the GC unit, which then talks to the C4 system DIRECTLY over the network.

The difference is that a [serial to ip to serial] still connects to a controller using a serial cable - essentially a point to point connection. Would work most likely BUT is generally more expensive than a single GC unit which are KNOWN to work perfectly well.

GC ALSO has wireless versions if getting a wire there is a problem.

I am not sure I understand. Is there a solution that allows me to get over the 25' limitation on serial connections between the Superbus unit and my C4 controller?

You may want to check the limitations of the SuperBus itself.

As it's a differential RS485 signal, it may be possible to extend the SuperBus to near wherever you have your serial port available.

RyanE

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've had similar issues with my module. I've had the module for over a year and just now got around to installing it, I think I've got a bad module. I'm going to abandon this project for the time being and now the concord 4 beeps constantly saying that it has a bus module failure. The only way to silence it is to press off and enter my code. How do I clear this fault in the panel?

I think it "looks for" all control panels once every 24 hours, and if there is no response during that query it says it failed, I had the same issue when I hooked up the module. Once I added the driver to my system all has been well since. Make sure the wires are correct on both ends. Uninstall the superbus from the GE side of things, then re add it. Make sure you have the correct driver.

• 3 years later...
On 12/28/2010 at 3:30 PM, disturbed7290 said:

Hello,

First post so please bear with me. I did quite a bit of searching to see if you guys had discussed this before but I can't seem to find it.

Problem: GE Concord 4 with Superbus 2000 Automation Module won't sync up with HC 300 when I click the Auto Setup button or Serial Debug doesn't show transmission.

The alarm keypads currently throw error "BUS FAILURE UNIT AM2". I have confirmed that accessory module 2 is definitely the automation module but am told that error is there because they're not talking to each other.

Steps I've taken already:

Tried both serial bindings on the controller.

Deleted the automation module from alarm system programming and allowed it to relearn itself.

Rebooted alarm system several times.

Removed security system driver from composer several times and readded.

The next step for me to try is to replace the serial cable that connect the two together. I ordered rs232 through cat5 adapters but won't have them for probably a week.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me while waiting for the replacement cable option?

Thanks in advance.

The bus failure on the concord4 is because the automation module is learned into the Concord4, but is not communicating with the serial device (Control4 controller). You can delete the automation module from programming until you get RS232 working. (8 - Dealer Code - 00, System Programming, scroll up three times to Accessories, select Bus Device, Scroll Down to Bus Device 2 and press the D button on your keypad.) (Later, you can easily re-learn the device by pressing 8-dealer code-01 to auto-learn all devices on the keypad bus.

If my memory serves me correct, you have to use a straight thru cable, not a null-modem on the automation module. This is likely your problem. (If you're not sure what kind of cable you have, just swap pins 2/3.)

Archived