C4 Forums | Control4

STOP the Spam "please"!!!

NkySpike65

It's getting to much outa hand here... Please think of something quick, or appoint one person here with the power to ZAP them son-of-a-bitches... :cool:

The best solution for these *&$#@&'s is like the one under the front seat of my car. Too bad the scum responsible are unreachable.

Besides, I just don't get it. I realize their marginal cost for these things is virtually zero, but still, does ANYBODY, ANYWHERE ever fall for that crap?

I concur ! !

There needs to be a real moderator on this forum to handle the spam and it's obviously going to get worse. If you go to the user list and sort by "Registered" and "Descending" and you will see a ton of users who have registered since January but have not made any posts. Once one account is deleted they use one of the other accounts.

To clean up the board and try to eliminate future spam the following policies should be instituted;

1) Lock down all user accounts that registered since January and have zero (0) posts so they can not post.

2) If a locked out users wants to post, they need to send a email to a moderator with their post in order to reactivate their account.

3) Once reactivated their first 5 posts need to be approved by a moderator.

4) Starting today all new accounts need to have their first 5 posts approved by a moderator.

5) No web links of any sort until their 6th post OR they get moderator approval of the link they want to post.

My 2 cents.

I'll do it but I won't beg for the job. I don't mind, for the most part, that Cytexone is hands-off but they haven't really been responsive to anything here lately. I'll do it if asked.

In the end, it's up to the owners of this site. I'm pretty much done hanging out here but I still hope the site can be worthwhile so I stay.

Joe, where do you guys stand with your plans?

Moderators are great to handle real users generating spam or being out of line. The real problem is that the spam is probably being generated from a bot. If it is a bot, the moderator will spend a good deal of time just deleting spam once it hits. The site needs to go down the plug ins/add ons to stop the bots. We have dealt with this on some of our other forums that we host. It is a real pain in the rear end. And it did kill one of our very active Nebraska based forums. I would hate to see this one go down that path.

^That's fine but they are still not of the mindset that improvements can and should be made. If it's money, I don't want to hear about it- many other special-interest groups have nice forums with plenty of tools for users to get the information out there. Somehow it gets done eleswhere.

Hi All

Sorry for the Delay, Andy and I who normally delete all of the spam posts (which believe it or not account for about less than 1% of postings) have been out of town at a conference.

We are working with additional silent moderators that will be able to delete / ban users who spam us.

Believe us this is not something we want to exist on the site, and we are working on a solution that will at least hold them off for now. It appears that they are actually users not computers signing up and creating spam which makes it much more difficult to combat.

Thanks everyone for your patience with us on this.

Dan

I concur ! !

There needs to be a real moderator on this forum to handle the spam and it's obviously going to get worse. If you go to the user list and sort by "Registered" and "Descending" and you will see a ton of users who have registered since January but have not made any posts. Once one account is deleted they use one of the other accounts.

To clean up the board and try to eliminate future spam the following policies should be instituted;

1) Lock down all user accounts that registered since January and have zero (0) posts so they can not post.

2) If a locked out users wants to post, they need to send a email to a moderator with their post in order to reactivate their account.

3) Once reactivated their first 5 posts need to be approved by a moderator.

4) Starting today all new accounts need to have their first 5 posts approved by a moderator.

5) No web links of any sort until their 6th post OR they get moderator approval of the link they want to post.

My 2 cents.

I agree, this is a good policy, it will help prevent most of the spam.

If not I would gladly help moderate. :)

I have offered to moderate but was told it would be hard for someone to remain impartial but all I want to do is to delete the spam, I like the fact that the posts rarely get any moderation but this spam has to be deleted and it is more than one person can do.

Again I will offer to semi moderate - (only remove spam and not moderate any postings by legitimate people)

Maybe create a flag or alert system that if a post gets 5+ votes it will be removed until a mod can clear it. That way everyone is in some way a mod. I also like what was said before about the first 6 or so posts have to be approved, I have seen this on other forums and it works great.

It's all politics. C4 shakes hand with CytexOne' date=' this forum will be down soon. :lol:[/quote']

Oh come on Dan, you know this site will prevail. We need somewhere to go, why not here?

Um...that isn't me...is his name Dan too?

I have always thought of him as your darker twin.:) Let's call him Danny ;)

Actually everybody has the ability to Moderate. Pressing the Report button on the bottom of the post in question sends a notification to numerous people that have the ability to delete posts.

It's a good intermediate step, and we really do monitor the notifications.

Dan

Archived