C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Speakers?

Anyone using these speakers from Control4?

http://control4.com/residential/products/av/in-ceiling-stereo-speakers/

http://control4.com/residential/products/av/in-wall-speakers/

I'm certainly not an audiophile, but I'm adding several new audio zones and I'm looking for some great sounding speakers. My dealer is offering me a decent deal on these if I buy at least 15.

I'm not trying to thread crap here, but seriously if you want comments about speakers performance, I would suggest you to ask in audioholics or avsforum forums.

If you asked for comments here, it sounds like you go to bestbuy and ask the salesman for the performance of hundred dollars HDMI cable.

Just my thought, :)

I'm not trying to thread crap here, but seriously if you want comments about speakers performance, I would suggest you to ask in audioholics or avsforum forums.

If you asked for comments here, it sounds like you go to bestbuy and ask the salesman for the performance of hundred dollars HDMI cable.

Just my thought, :)

No, I don't think that's my intention here. If I offered a catalog of goods designed to work together in a one-stop-sales approach, I would group products that at least seem to match on paper. I wouldn't be going to AVS forums asking if a C4 amp would drive the "crap" out of a speaker.

That's my thought. BTW, you have a very derrogatory screen name and I wouldn't think twice about not taking your opinion to heart. Now, if you were to change your screen name, I still wouldn't think much different.

the speakers are actually made by atlantic technologies. they are good speakers and I have ran them at full power with the c4 amp and had no issues.

Joe- I have run similar-spec'd speaks on a 8-Zone with a fairly aggressive EQ and have run into trouble.

the speakers are actually made by atlantic technologies. they are good speakers and I have ran them at full power with the c4 amp and had no issues.

Joe- I have run similar-spec'd speaks on a 8-Zone with a fairly aggressive EQ and have run into trouble.

true, luckily this isn't the case with this product. they were thoroughly tested with Control4 gear before it was even announced that they were available.

So my plan is to put these in a covered porch, in a basement great room and in my garage ceiling (probably 4 in each location, plus a few extras). I've already got a bunch invested in Sonos, so I'm planning to use Sonos to drive these. Do you think I can get enough juice out of what amounts to the $150 amps in these Sonos Zone Players (http://www.sonos.com/products/zoneplayers/zp120/default.aspx?rdr=true&LangType=1033), or should I save the $150 with Sonos, get my own amp and just have Sonos handle the music delivery?

• 9 months later...

Ok, picked up some in wall and ceiling 8" C4 speakers does anyone recommend a center channel and sub to go with these???

Thanks...

A little more info picked up 4 in ceiling and 2 inwall. Could I use 1 of the square inwalls as a center? Then I would just use the in ceiling for front and back in the ceiling? Any thoughts?

Ok, picked up some in wall and ceiling 8" C4 speakers does anyone recommend a center channel and sub to go with these???

Thanks...

A little more info picked up 4 in ceiling and 2 inwall. Could I use 1 of the square inwalls as a center? Then I would just use the in ceiling for front and back in the ceiling? Any thoughts?

Would love an opinion from some dealers that have installed these about a center speaker and sub...

Thanks...

You should be using in-ceiling speakers that the woofer and tweeters are pointed on an angle towards your seating position for the L/C/R. Using 3 in-wall speakers for the front would be a better solution based on what you have. If you install the speakers as you are suggesting, it will sound really bad.

For the sub this depends on your budget and room size. I usually use 10" or 12" Velodyne subwoofers.

Ok' date=' picked up some in wall and ceiling 8" C4 speakers does anyone recommend a center channel and sub to go with these???

Thanks...

A little more info picked up 4 in ceiling and 2 inwall. Could I use 1 of the square inwalls as a center? Then I would just use the in ceiling for front and back in the ceiling? Any thoughts?[/quote']

You should be using in-ceiling speakers that the woofer and tweeters are pointed on an angle towards your seating position for the L/C/R. Using 3 in-wall speakers for the front would be a better solution based on what you have. If you install the speakers as you are suggesting, it will sound really bad.

For the sub this depends on your budget and room size. I usually use 10" or 12" Velodyne subwoofers.

Thanks Nikon. I have 2 8" inwalls so I will use them as LR front and put the 8" in ceiling middle and back. If I don't find another 8" inwall do you have a recommendation for a center channel?

Tonally speakers are different so it is best to match the speakers if possible. If you can't find any more Control4 maybe check with Atlantic Technology I believe that they produced the Control4 speakers they might have something that would work.

If those options have been exhausted consider finding another place for the in-walls, or sell them and get proper left, center and right speakers. I could suggest a few things but it is largely dependent on budget, and type of speakers you are looking for (in-wall, on-wall or in-ceiling).

Yes atlantic tech made the C4 spkrs. So getting a spkr from them to act as your center or finding another C4 spkr would be the best thing to do.

Your center channel spkr is the most important spkr in your surround system as it is on somewhere between 85-90% of the time. Do not use an in ceiling spkr unless you can aim it back at the listening position.

I did break up a set of 6" in walls recently for a client that needed one for a center. If your interested in the other one email me.

I agree in theory. But, I use a ceiling-mount Tru Audio (non-aimable) and it works OK. I just need to boost the gain a little more on the center channel because I'm firing into carpet. I just picked-up some Speakercraft AIM WIDEs but just two were available. So, I guess I'm going to commit a cardinal sin by just changing the L-R and not the C.

Yes atlantic tech made the C4 spkrs. So getting a spkr from them to act as your center or finding another C4 spkr would be the best thing to do.

Your center channel spkr is the most important spkr in your surround system as it is on somewhere between 85-90% of the time. Do not use an in ceiling spkr unless you can aim it back at the listening position.

I did break up a set of 6" in walls recently for a client that needed one for a center. If your interested in the other one email me.

+1 on surround sound setups it is ussually best to use the same type of speakers from the same mfg. If you can use the C4 speakers that you have in the other rooms and buy a dedicated set with similarly toned speakers for your theater room is what I would suggest.

I have 7.2 Paradigm LCRs that are great that I would recommend. Even the two subwoofers are in-wall. I also have C4 speakers (atl tech) that are also good but I'll only use them as room stereo speakers.

Paradigm also makes directional in-ceiling speakers if you need them. Just be sure that the distance in between your joist will fit them they are usually larger than the common in-ceiling speakers.

Ok, great input. Why could I not use 2 8" round for front but don't put them in ceiling the only difference is they are round not rectangle. These 8" rounds are nice and my 2 rectangle speakers are 8". So the only 8" round in ceilings will be in the back. I will try and find another 8" inwall rectangle for center but would love to hear your thoughts on what I talked about in the beginning.

Thanks...

Hi Hooked,

I'm a little specific (picky) with speaker selection. Just a few questions.

From what I've read you are trying to do a 5.1 setup

This room I'm assuming will be theater room?

What is the shape/size of room?

Will the listener be in the center or closer to the back edge?

Lastly,

Do you want recommendations for in wall/ceiling center and subs? or speaker boxes acceptable?

Archived