C4 Forums | Control4

DVD Rips

AJ_

I've been using DVD Shrink to rip my DVDs for Dune. Most of my DVDs are coming out ok but there is one that I am having trouble with. It's from India and is on the PAL system (I believe). The ISO file plays in VLC Player fine but it won't on Dune. I can hear the audio but there is no video. The TV displays the 'signal is unsupported' message. I have other DVDs from the same region that play with no issues.

I don't see any settings in DVD Shrink to change the video output. is it possible to customize this in AnyDVD or any other software?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

AC

Check the Dune settings. All the same, it should be able to handle 24/50/60 hz settings on the fly. Just what is it you are backing up? Has it occurred to you it just might be the video frame rate on the disc? Goodness knows what it is...what do camcorders use.!!...Or ,if it has been recorded off Indian TV, the video frequency/format could be pretty much anything...You did say it was from India right? All legit and all :cool: ...

As a clue to the issue, there are some digital broadcast recordings from our networks that the Dune will play, yet others that won't. They are all PAL 50HZ, but have different "frequencies", frame rates or other little nuances. It can kinda get complicated.

There is also a multitude of different "PAL's" : see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL#PAL-B.2FG.2FD.2FK.2FI

^ It's a legit DVD I purchased in India of a TV show called Kirdaar. I have other DVDs that I purchased and those work fine. It's only this one that doesn't. The fact that DVD Shrink does not allow me to tweak much doesn't help. Does anyone know of any tools out there that can peek in to an ISO and give me the specs...

Thanks for the suggestions/comments.

^ It's a legit DVD I purchased in India of a TV show called Kirdaar. I have other DVDs that I purchased and those work fine. It's only this one that doesn't. The fact that DVD Shrink does not allow me to tweak much doesn't help. Does anyone know of any tools out there that can peek in to an ISO and give me the specs...

Thanks for the suggestions/comments.

I'm pretty sure any "video ripping" software can "peak into an ISO". That's the beauty of an ISO.

Try DVDFAB.

AC. I think being a TV show still might be your problem. So it won't matter what backup process you use.. as I pointed out, if I record TV shows off our TV channels over here using a DVR, not every video file is playable by the Dune, even though VLC can play them. I got so frustrated with this, I gave up using the Dune as a DVR, even though I could get a DTV USB recording stick for it. Even if you paid for it, how do you know it still isn't just a recording done say via a DVR? It might be a "legit" pirated version. Anything is possible from India. Why don't you submit the file to HDI Dune?

^ It's definitely not a pirated DVD. The manufacturer is reputable and I could tell if it was a copy of a legit DVD. I'll see if I can submit the file though and see what they come up with.

I tried to rip it to MKV as well but it still doesn't play in Dune. It definitely seems to be Dune-related issue. It's a shame because after ripping 45 DVDs, this is the one my wife wanted to see and BAM! no show. Everytime I try to sell C4, I get a kick in my a$$.

Does the MKV play on your computer? I'd be surprised if it was the Dune because I have not had a problem with any files that used to give my other players issues. You should buy Slysoft's product and then use MakeMKV and see how that goes. My guess is problem solved... ;)

On the initial startup of the dune, you pick the country/region you are in for region code locked files. I'm sure you picked it for your area but if India region files aren't playing you may check the region code. You can do a factory reset of all settings (which will allow you to pick the region again) on the dune by using a special file on a usb stick on the dune.

I know DVDFab has an option to remove all region restrictions and I believe AnyDVD does as well.

This may not be the issue but something I thought due to your disc region.

this is the one my wife wanted to see and BAM! no show. Everytime I try to sell C4, I get a kick in my a$$.

This happens to me as well. All the time. Wives have an uncanny ability to pick THE (only) fault in an otherwise perfect setup.

Amazing 6th sense women have. Just how they do that, is beyond the realm of the most astute of males. Trust me, you'll never figure it out... :)

^ It's definitely not a pirated DVD. The manufacturer is reputable and I could tell if it was a copy of a legit DVD. I'll see if I can submit the file though and see what they come up with.

I tried to rip it to MKV as well but it still doesn't play in Dune. It definitely seems to be Dune-related issue. It's a shame because after ripping 45 DVDs, this is the one my wife wanted to see and BAM! no show. Everytime I try to sell C4, I get a kick in my a$$.

AC, it doesn't have to be a pirated DVD. If there are certain restrictions, or other video weirdness put into that TV recording by the studio, then it may not play for that reason. +1 for makemkv BTW :)

Archived