C4 Forums | Control4

Just under $200 to have.......

Icrush

We have had our Control-4 for about 8 months. Last month we purchased a Sony Blu Ray player with Google TV. We called the company that installed the system to schedule an appointment to have it programmed to switch the input to the Blu Ray player and they told us it would be $193 to have a technician come to my house to program the main Control-4 unit.

Is this normal? Is there any reason or way that I can have access to the software that controls the setup of this dam thing?

iCrush

Inrush,

If you can tell the dealer the model number of the player, which input you have it plugged into, which number IR you have the blu-ray plugged into on the 300, and you get the IR placed right, the dealer should be able to do it remotely. This all depends on how good you are, that should help keep the cost way down. Dealers am I right here.

Welcome to the Control4 world, once you get over the fact that you need a dealer to add things to the project, you'll love it. Get the home edition, it allows you to do a lot of programming. Believe me, there is a lot you can screw up be adding things to your project and input switching and what not.

Have fun,

Ryan

Inrush,

If you can tell the dealer the model number of the player, which input you have it plugged into, which number IR you have the blu-ray plugged into on the 300, and you get the IR placed right, the dealer should be able to do it remotely. This all depends on how good you are, that should help keep the cost way down. Dealers am I right here.

Welcome to the Control4 world, once you get over the fact that you need a dealer to add things to the project, you'll love it. Get the home edition, it allows you to do a lot of programming. Believe me, there is a lot you can screw up be adding things to your project and input switching and what not.

Have fun,

Ryan

I am not a dealer but this is correct. If you bought the C4 equipment from this dealer that price is ridiculous. If you bought your C4 equipment from eBay then it's up to the dealer. It still can be done remote and takes a minute. I would think you could work out a fair price if you have a good working relationship with your dealer.

It would be nice to know what the price breakdown is... hourly rate, trip charge, and what other equipment they will provide etc... If you already have it installed I think that might be a bit much plus this could be done remotely like Ryan said.

To "roll a truck" will always be expensive, period. However, when a customer adds a blu-ray player or component, if they feel comfortable doing it, I will remotely add it in for them as long as they can make the appropriate connections. For my customers that I have done work for in the past, the charge is usually minimal if they are even charged at all. Just my .02

I will add that certain scenarios do require a service call, however, I personally would not feel comfortable charging almost the amount of a component, simply to install it, your experience may vary.

Inrush,

Have fun,

Ryan

Here is the rub to this whole thing. The Blu Ray player I have has an RF remote, so there is no need to run an IR blaster. I just need the system to turn on my TV and set my stereo receiver to the correct DVD input. The rest is done via RF. Again, 200 bones???????

Inrush' date='

Have fun,

Ryan[/quote']

Here is the rub to this whole thing. The Blu Ray player I have has an RF remote, so there is no need to run an IR blaster. I just need the system to turn on my TV and set my stereo receiver to the correct DVD input. The rest is done via RF. Again, 200 bones???????

Wait a second. So the Bluray player you bought isn't going to be able to be controlled via C4? Why wouldn't you get a bluray player that you could fully integrate?

If you want a suggestion on a good dealer that will work with you remotely at honest, good rates on things like this let me know. I've got a great dealer I can refer you to.

Personally, I'd return that BD player and get something that will integrate easier. Your cost of integration on RF might outweigh the cost of most BD players out there.

Archived