C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos Software Upgrade Question

Or better yet just add Slacker. LSDave, I hope you call EV about this. Nobody at EV seems to care about adding the functionality until they here about it from others.

i doubt they "don't care".

I'm sure its just a cost/benefits situation

Or better yet just add Slacker. LSDave' date=' I hope you call EV about this. Nobody at EV seems to care about adding the functionality until they here about it from others.[/quote']

i doubt they "don't care".

I'm sure its just a cost/benefits situation

Well, semantics aside, I haven't heard any response to repeated attempts here and in service tickets (that have been ignored and don't even get a response) to see if they have even tried to contact Slacker to see if they would help financially with an effort to fix this. That would be a simple indication that they "care". And the Canadian situation is a perfect example of the problem with their logic on not making implementation a higher priority. Just because they don't have people beating down the doors on a niche product for added functionality doesn't mean there isn't a desire for the feature. For most people if they have software that is missing a feature they move on to something else that works out of the box. They don't take time to contact the company and "vote".

In any case, my point is they say that I'm the only one that has requested it, and that is what they are looking at so if there are others it needs to be communicated directly to them, not just posted here, so I hope you consider doing so.

I'm not sure I follow all this

I have Rhapsody working beautifully within the EV/Sonos driver (and I'm 15K km from Canada and 20K km from England)

They also support LastFm which has is a great "scrobbling" service..

In any case what's all the big deal? When you want to use some other service (whilst we wait for EV to add it) just use a Sonos hardware or software controller on an iphone/ipad...

..set up your playlist/queue then hit play...

The "Zones" feature then tracks things beautifully, and volume control etc is not a problem back on the C4 platform..

Sure it's not ideal, but it's a workaround till EV get's their act into gear..

Well, it is a big deal. First you wait for Sonos to support a service, then you wait when/if EV actually decides it is important enough to add. The lack of integration is not elegant at all, you don't get display of the content, it isn't just that you have to start it on a different app/device. So the base problem is obviously Sonos being difficult to work with, but that is what it is.

If you don't understand why its an issue after reading this thread, then you have much lower expectations than I do.

And if you'll notice, EV have not committed to add it at any time, its not just that we are waiting on it.

Why should I do that? I already switched from Squeezebox to Sonos. Let's review. Bought Sonos, because Squeezebox was never going to integrate with C4. Sonos finally got Slacker. Bought EV driver for Sonos. Found out EV only supports subset of Sonos, admitted mistake. Have not liked answers as to why they won't support it or talk to Slacker. If you don't understand or agree, whatever.

And Mirage is even more limited than Sonos on streaming service support anyway. Really don't get your point at all. They don't even have Slacker.

^ Turl's..

I have re-read the entire thread.. properly now (sorry about my hasty comments above)

Actually I feel you have been more than polite and reasonable

I tend to agree with you. It's going to become a problem for EV, the more these services start to appear..

I've got one or two I'd like to see added as well..

Buried in the thread was EV's comments on adding music streaming support....

"Adding a music service to the driver takes about a weeks work"

So dear Will at EV. Care to explain just why that is?

Because it's hard to do? There's about 500 lines of code to write and test for each music service, and that's about a week of work to get it right. We don't do the music service half assed, we either get it right or we don't release it. Saying 'there's dozens of people that would like it' might be true, but we haven't had requests from those people or from their dealers. We've had a request from one user and one dealer. That level of extra work is not worth the minimal extra sales. Like I've said before, if enough dealers ask for a new music service then we'll consider adding it. Most dealers are happy with Rhapsody, Spotify and Pandora, as are most users.

Wow. 500 lines of code. Gee that's seems complicated...just to get a internet stream...

Pity there isn't a simpler solution

Though no doubt you guys are ever exploring better ways.

Nobody is saying we aren't appreciative what's been done. Just curious that's all...:)

I get your point and understand time management vs return on investment but im glad developers such as those at sonos don't feel the same way and say things like, " folks are happy with this so were not going to develope the product further".

500 lines of code isn't exactly earth shaking, it's in fact a rather small amount of code. For someone who writes code for a living that's a few hours..

I do agree that using the sonos app while not ideal is easy enough to do when you want to use a service that EV isn't supporting.

I've worked for several large video game companies writing gaming engines and associated code for specific games. 500 lines is in many cases a single and small portion of an overall system within many systems.

I'd rather write 500 lines of code than 500 lines of a book. But we're now way off topic.

I love my EV Sonos driver, do I wish it supported more services? Yup... Would I spend the money on it again, YUP... It works well and I can easily switch over to the sonos app if I need to.

i'm not sure what you base this statement on, but it isn't experience. a few characters of one line of code can be all that holds you up for x amount of time, days, weeks whatever

Agreed, that is what makes it fun. Those of us that enjoy writing code look at it as a big game. Hunting for the elusive error keeping you from compiling is a rush and why I use to smoke several packs of cancer sticks a night a drink my weight in mountain dew. Love it!!!

Still can't get an answer to if Slacker has even been approached to partner somehow...I guess that effort isn't even worth it for the amount of users/dealers that have gone to the trouble actually request it. Problem is, for reasons I've already described, you are never going to know how many dealers or users really want it or how many sales are influenced by the lack of a checkbox item...

With respect to everyone on this thread, there's only one person that knows how long it takes to integrate a third party music service into the Sonos driver for Control4 and that's me. I've heard the request for Slacker and MOG, it is on our development plan but I'm not working on it right now as I have other priorities. Will it happen eventually? Probably. Will whining about it on the forums continuously and suggesting that it's easier than I know it is make it happen quicker? Hell no.

Turls: Slacker are already partnered with Sonos, there's nothing more they need to do or could do. It's simply hard to do.

Archived