C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos Software Upgrade Question

I received a call from my dealer a couple weeks ago telling me not to upgrade my Sonos to the latest software (3.6). He told me that if I upgrade the Sonos will no longer be compatible with C4... I have a very new system running 2.1 and have the Extra Vegetables Sonos driver. I did look at the Extra Vegetables website and it states not to update the Sonos to 3.6 until you can instal the EV driver 5.05 or higher. Does that mean it should be fine to upgrade? Has anyone else run into this problem/advice? Thanks!

I've just upgraded to Sonos 3.6. I'm on C4 2.06. I can confirm EV doesn't now work...so there seems to be some truth in the matter.. :rolleyes:

You can't win these days..needed to upgrade Sonos to get the Sonos Android app working, to get C4 onto the tablet, to get EV working within C4, to play Sonos (which now doesn't work with the Ev driver)..and around and around it all goes again... :)

I received a call from my dealer a couple weeks ago telling me not to upgrade my Sonos to the latest software (3.6). He told me that if I upgrade the Sonos will no longer be compatible with C4... I have a very new system running 2.1 and have the Extra Vegetables Sonos driver. I did look at the Extra Vegetables website and it states not to update the Sonos to 3.6 until you can instal the EV driver 5.05 or higher. Does that mean it should be fine to upgrade? Has anyone else run into this problem/advice? Thanks!

Once you get the new driver installed with the new activation key all will be fine and you can upgrade. Your old key won't work with the new driver.

Yup, EV/Sonos/C4 play nice together still, was just a change that Sonos made on their end that required an update to the EV C4 driver. As stated, once you update the driver to the correct version everything is good to go.

Wappinghigh, this does not require an update to the Control4 system itself, just the EV driver.

• 4 weeks later...

If I have the most up-to-date Sonos and EV driver, should I still be missing music services? I don't have access to Slacker through EV, which was added a couple months ago and was in the Sonos "lab" before that. I also hate the way it forces you to put the user credentials in Composer. Is it true that only a dealer can help you do that (I don't have the user version of Composer yet)? So I put my credentials in in clear text (hate that), and I can't change them without a dealer help. This is wrong on so many levels if true. I can't change my credentials without breaking EV/Sonos, I can't switch back and forth between me and my wife's Pandora accounts (have to choose one or the other and stuck with it because of EV even though with just Sonos I could switch whenever)...

Are these really all valid limitations? Its my dealer's first Sonos/EV...

EDIT: Reading the EV website again Slacker is not mentioned. There very well may be reasons that there is a delay between a music service being added to EV after it is added to Sonos -- just if anybody has followed the history of how long it took to get Sonos to get Slacker, hopefully there is just a delay in the implementation and it will come sooner rather than later...I know somebody from EV posts here, it would be appreciated to know if this issue is being addressed.

Enhancement request: Is there anyway to allow multiple Pandora accounts? so you could choose between them? At least then the credentials would be available for multiple choices, although I believe Sonos would only let one work at a time. (That's if it really is a dealer modification to change/add credentials).

A couple follow up questions on this.

How long should it take to install the new EV driver? My dealer said it will take about 3 hours. I have 16 audio zones and 8 sources.

Is there a charge to get a new key from EV? My system is less than a yr old.

Thanks!

Just one Sonos. I spoke with programmer and he said all the bindings need to be redone because driver upgrade erases previous work?.?.

Not if done correctly. If he is onsite he just adds the new driver then disables director for 10 seconds then reenables. If he is offsite just add a new driver and then either tells the customer to reboot the director controller or goes through the network setup on the controller without making changes which reboots the director. He could also ssh into the controller and reboot it that way. Then after the reboot the old sonos driver will upgrade and he removes the new one he added.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, I'm wondering if I'm the only one here that cares that EV seems to be in no hurry to add the Sonos music services, especially Slacker, that they haven't completed the integration with. I don't think it is out of line to ask that other EV/Sonos users open support tickets asking for an ETA on missing services. I would at least like to see the missing ones added to a "ToDo" item on the release notes.

I know it is a niche driver for a niche product for a niche music service, but it still cost good money.

Agree. Except I don't think it's a really a niche driver. I think it's a really important one that helps fill a glaring hole in C4's media capabilities. As younger people start adapting C4, I think it's going to be more and more important. Hell, even Honda CR-Vs can stream Pandora now...

Better Spotify integration should be a big priority IMO, as well as the ability to 'thumbs up/down' from the C4 interfaces.

-J

Just curious, I'm wondering if I'm the only one here that cares that EV seems to be in no hurry to add the Sonos music services, especially Slacker, that they haven't completed the integration with. I don't think it is out of line to ask that other EV/Sonos users open support tickets asking for an ETA on missing services. I would at least like to see the missing ones added to a "ToDo" item on the release notes.

I know it is a niche driver for a niche product for a niche music service, but it still cost good money.

Adding a music service to the driver takes about a weeks work. So far, you're the only one that's requested Slacker, and we have limited development time. It will *probably* be done *at some point*, but it will not be in the next few weeks.

Agree. Except I don't think it's a really a niche driver. I think it's a really important one that helps fill a glaring hole in C4's media capabilities. As younger people start adapting C4, I think it's going to be more and more important. Hell, even Honda CR-Vs can stream Pandora now...

Better Spotify integration should be a big priority IMO, as well as the ability to 'thumbs up/down' from the C4 interfaces.

-J

Apart from search, which we can't do until Control4 gives us the ability to pop up an on screen keyboard, what is missing from the Spotify implementation in the driver that you can do from Sonos Desktop Controller? Most of the features of the Spotify Desktop Client (radio, apps, etc) aren't available on third party devices.

If you use the Pandonos app you can do thumbs up/down on Pandora with our Sonos driver now.

Just curious' date=' I'm wondering if I'm the only one here that cares that EV seems to be in no hurry to add the Sonos music services, especially Slacker, that they haven't completed the integration with. I don't think it is out of line to ask that other EV/Sonos users open support tickets asking for an ETA on missing services. I would at least like to see the missing ones added to a "ToDo" item on the release notes.

I know it is a niche driver for a niche product for a niche music service, but it still cost good money.[/quote']

Adding a music service to the driver takes about a weeks work. So far, you're the only one that's requested Slacker, and we have limited development time. It will *probably* be done *at some point*, but it will not be in the next few weeks.

Thank you for the response, and shame on me for going into both Sonos and the EV driver with my eyes partially closed to the realities of the situation. Basically, I already have a working Squeezebox implementation that I had spent a lot of money on and was wanting to trash and move completely over to Sonos and EV, because it integrates better with C4, but a glaring hole in the Sonos offering was the lack of Slacker integration. Sonos finally added it, I am not sure what the hold up was, if they were just waiting for enough people to request it or what. Maybe Slacker tossed some money their way? Maybe Slacker would toss some money EV's way if somebody asked?

I sure won't hold my breath waiting for you to get enough requests to add it. I don't even know how to drum up that kind of interest here or elsewhere, and honestly, I don't think I should need to. When my dealer asked, he got an answer that contradicted what I was told in a support ticket about just not having gotten around to it yet. There were no plans to add it at all. No warm fuzzies on *at some point* after that.

I also feel like this whole industry is prone to consolidation, and what if Napster had bought Rhapsody instead of the other way around? Maybe Slacker will buy Pandora? I guess big picture is if EV doesn't commit to adding all services available in a reasonable timeframe, there is always a chance it will be _somebody's_ favorite service that is left out. Again, shame on me for not realizing that, and I understand that may just be an unfortunate reality.

WillEV, if you are serious about adding it at some point, I request that it be added to the support notes as a ToDo item. That would be at least a little more teeth in the *probably*. But maybe *probably* doesn't make it to the release notes...

Our changelogs are to show what has been updated since the last version. They're not for future plans, so we're not going to be putting Slacker support as a todo in the changelog.

We didn't have any plans to add it before because *noone* had requested it, and we have better things to spend a week on than a feature that no-one wanted. I know this is an feature you would like, but it's not one we've promised or said works at *any* point, and it's still only *possible* that we will add it in the future.

Realistically, Pandora, Spotify, SiriusXM and Rhapsody/Napster see 99.5% of the music service usage in Sonos from systems I've looked at. I don't see that changing without Slacker spending some serious money promoting their service.

From your Sonos changelog:

3.1.0 - 30 June 2011

RESOLVED:

- Issues with Napster content not adding to queue

- Shuffle/repeat not controlling iPod dock content

- Graying out of Now Playing bar (again)

- Line in sources continuing to play when Sonos turned off through Control4

OUTSTANDING

- Spotify support to be improved

- RDIO support to be added

Just saying. Not intending to beat you over the head with it, but it is what it is. Not trying to discourage it, although I guess that will probably be the end result. Rdio is a joke compared to Slacker, honestly.

Slacker has only been on Sonos for a few months, and it is a pretty significantly different service than those you have listed. Like I said, my bad for not understanding the full limitations of the product.

• 1 month later...
Rdio is a joke compared to Slacker, honestly.

You can't really compare Rdio to Slacker, they are different type of services. Slacker and Pandora, yes this would be the comparison to make while I would compare Rdio to Spotify and MOG. In my opinion MOG had the best service until a recent update by Rdio to its interface, outside that they are all rather close.

True, I guess my point is you have Spotify, MOG, Rhapsody, etc which are one type of service. For the "discovery" type service, you have ONLY Pandora and maybe MOG. If you are interested in music discovery, EV is severely limiting what you can do with Sonos by not supporting enough alternatives to Pandora. The logic Pandora uses and some of the options you have are ENTIRELY different than Slacker.

Does anybody have any thoughts on MOG vs. Pandora/Slacker?

MOG does an ok job for music discovery, I'd compare it to iTunes and how they put up other selection when your searching. I think MOG is the most rounded of all the services and has high quality streams but it also is not supported by EV

• 2 months later...
Just curious' date=' I'm wondering if I'm the only one here that cares that EV seems to be in no hurry to add the Sonos music services, especially Slacker, that they haven't completed the integration with. I don't think it is out of line to ask that other EV/Sonos users open support tickets asking for an ETA on missing services. I would at least like to see the missing ones added to a "ToDo" item on the release notes.

I know it is a niche driver for a niche product for a niche music service, but it still cost good money.[/quote']

Slacker is a really good service for Canadian customers as we cannot get Rhapsody or spotify legitimately.

I know of a few customers of mine that would add sonos and the EV driver to their system if it was available. I know you CAN get rhapsody and spotify to work in Canada, but its not something i would do for a customer because it could easily "break" at any time.

Archived