C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 and Multichannel Amps

Dlp600

You can use that amp as a stand-alone amplifier, it is just a tad bit tricky. It requires a 24V connection to the cresnet interface, then you can press the override/setup button and turn all outputs on at all times, then use a control4 16 channel audio matrix or other audio matrix for volume/source control....don't ask me how I know this. :)

However, the matrix switch isn't meant for volume control, and only controls the volume in 4% increments, so there have been some complaints about it's range for that particular purpose.

Amplification makes more sense in the *amp*, vs. trying to 'pad down' a 1V Peak-to-Peak line-level audio signal, which is what the matrix switch does.

RyanE

Ryan is correct in the above statement, but we have implemented many solutions using the audio matrix for controlling volume, and it turns out to work just fine in every scenario. Just think about the old in-wall volume controls that had "clicks' for increasing/decreasing the volume. 4% chunks are not bad at all, and it is far less expensive than buying an amp for that purpose. Now there are other Audio/Video matrix switches that can do the 1% increments, such as those from Avocation Systems, NeoPro, etc...

Ryan is correct in the above statement, but we have implemented many solutions using the audio matrix for controlling volume, and it turns out to work just fine in every scenario. Just think about the old in-wall volume controls that had "clicks' for increasing/decreasing the volume. 4% chunks are not bad at all, and it is far less expensive than buying an amp for that purpose. Now there are other Audio/Video matrix switches that can do the 1% increments, such as those from Avocation Systems, NeoPro, etc...

4% chunks seems pretty extreme to me, considering most rooms my default volume is below 25.

So you could not find yourself a happy place between a volume setting of 16%, 20%, or 24% and save yourself about a $1000? I know I could! :) Don't get me wrong, I have sold MANY of the Control4 8-Zone amp and plenty of other solutions with different audio matrix units. The C4 audio matrix paired with a low-cost amplifier solution does make a nice audio distribution system at a much lower price point, however...

So you could not find yourself a happy place between a volume setting of 16%, 20%, or 24% and save yourself about a $1000? I know I could! :) Don't get me wrong, I have sold MANY of the Control4 8-Zone amp and plenty of other solutions with different audio matrix units. The C4 audio matrix paired with a low-cost amplifier solution does make a nice audio distribution system at a much lower price point, however...

I'm saying that the difference between 16%, 20% and 24% is a lot. I RARELY get the volume above 30% in most rooms.

I have a combination of the C4 audio Matrix, a control4 8-zone amp, a Russond 6 zone amp, and an AudioSource 2 channel amp with large amount of power for the outdoor speakers. The zones covered by the russound and audiosource have TON's more power and depth, and the 4% increment has never been an issue in my setup.

I use L-Pads all over the estate and this is with a C4 amp. They are very handy and the step between notches is just right. These are not cheap devices if you buy for quality (whcih I do).

• 11 months later...

Old thread, I know, but I wanted to keep going with the 4% vs 1% increment. My dealer talked me in to going with AudioControl amps and I have the 4% volume increment. Is there any way around this? Even if I am stuck with the 4% increment, is there any way to offset that by an adjustment in the C4 Matrix Switcher so the 4% isn't as big of a "chunk"?

Archived