C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos Connect

JerryR

Anyone installed a Sonos Connect with their C4 system?  Did you use the Extra Veggies driver for it?  How well does it integrate?  

I'm looking at getting one soon and my biggest concern is making sure as new albums and music are added to iTunes they sync and add to the C4 system.  Also wanting to make sure playlists on something like Rhapsody or Spotify update through it.  I've been using Rhapsody for a couple of years since my dealer recommended it at start-up, but it keeps losing artists and music so I'm looking for a change.  

Don't really know much about Sonos and how it works.  Just want something that integrates iTunes music, playlists, etc and other streaming services into C4.  

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated. 

EV driver is the one to use - now that it's free especially.

Note that you need 2.6 for best results (services, searching, combined favorites list and so on). Pre 2.6 is still very much possible (AND free!) - but while perfectly good as such, it pales in comparison.

I'd be thrilled to be running 2.6 on my system.  Issue is that my installer put Composer Pro 2.3 on my system and validated it.  Then that particular installer left the dealer and so now his login is not valid anymore.  Means that I can't download Composer Pro 2.6 then update my system to 2.6.  So I'm stuck running 2.3.  

Anyone know a solution to this little problem?  At this point I'm either stuck in 2.3 with ability to use Pro or pay my dealer to upgrade me to 2.6 but then I lose use of Pro and can only use HE.  

The EV driver works great now that they have the issues ironed out. And its free.

LOL I just love this comment..

hahaha pity the poor guys who actually paid for the driver and the costly dealer instal time a few years back (and ironed out all the problems for them in the process)

..then got kinda harpooned around here for their troubles suggesting how it could be improved and pointing out all the flaws (because we couldn't actually provide direct feedback to EV due to the dealer only purchase model...)

Then along comes C4: and buys out EV for basically nothing (most of this was for the Sonos driver) and picks up all this "home testing R&D" for zilch... and now "flogs" the driver for free... LOL!!!!

Outrageous!

hahahaha. Guess that's "progress" for you.. :)

I'd be thrilled to be running 2.6 on my system. Issue is that my installer put Composer Pro 2.3 on my system and validated it. Then that particular installer left the dealer and so now his login is not valid anymore. Means that I can't download Composer Pro 2.6 then update my system to 2.6. So I'm stuck running 2.3.

Anyone know a solution to this little problem? At this point I'm either stuck in 2.3 with ability to use Pro or pay my dealer to upgrade me to 2.6 but then I lose use of Pro and can only use HE.

How often are you using 'pro' features?

You could het home and get an online programmer to do the 2.6 upgrade.

LOL I just love this comment..

hahaha pity the poor guys who actually paid for the driver and the costly dealer instal time a few years back (and ironed out all the problems for them in the process)

..then got kinda harpooned around here for their troubles suggesting how it could be improved and pointing out all the flaws (because we couldn't actually provide direct feedback to EV due to the dealer only purchase model...)

Then along comes C4: and buys out EV for basically nothing (most of this was for the Sonos driver) and picks up all this "home testing R&D" for zilch... and now "flogs" the driver for free... LOL!!!!

Outrageous!

hahahaha. Guess that's "progress" for you.. :)

True but they got all those years of using the driver as well.

I'd be pissed off if I bought it the week before the announcement but years before. Not really.

I for one am glad I waited till the bugs got worked out and it's free.

As for Composer Pro, I use those features at least once a month. My system was fairly small by some standards when I started, so I am adding hardware pretty regularly. Or at least often enough that I don't want to pay someone every time I add a wireless outlet or dimmer to the system when I can do it myself in less than a minute.

^ Lol

Good for you!

Tough crap I guess for all the other poor punters who actually paid/pay for this!

That's life with DRM on digital video content as well.. the legit guys pay (and get less of an experience and delay in supply) and the torrents have all the fun and get quicker delivery and all home distribution for free

Go figure

That's life though these days.

hahahha

I have no problem buying software or drivers that I actually own. After being screwed for many years by exorbitant dealer driver install charges for years something's gotta give. It's time for developers like Chowmain etc go sell directly to consumers. I want the driver, installation instructions, etc. in MY hands. I will then let a dealer I choose install it for me. Being handcuffed the way we are is total bullshit!!!

I would stick with the software you have. Having access to pro is a dream for the end users here. C4 is never going to open their model - looks like they will sink the ship before that happens. Anyone that brings that up here gets laughed at. If it was so hard to use pro why is C4 giving dealers licenses to people who have no clue how to use it? Other than the nice folks here who help us out, many are out to just gauge you for installing each sensor, driver etc. Their model consists of getting you hooked and then squeezing you each time you need something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has any of the end users here who have complained about having access to pro ever proposed that they want to go out and start installing systems for a living???? We just want to be able to control our own systems. The training is like getting an engineering degree, going to med school??? I have seen what my dealer does when he ID's anything - make me wait a few weeks, either log on or come when no one with a job can be home, pull in the driver, name it (sometimes incorrectly), make whatever connections and that will be 100 dollars - thanks for allowing me to gauge you.

And it seems like this lack of access has resulted in what happens in these kinds of situations - a black market for pirated copies of C4 pro that many on this forum seem to have access to. It seems like some dealers are giving (let's call it selling) access to pro because they know that it isn't that difficult to use and if it is then people seem to be able to figure out how to use it. This is a joke.

Does anyone know if the Sonos Driver that's on 2.6 would work on 2.3?  If so, it'd be awesome if someone who has it would pull it and share it on this thread.  If it's free then it should be easily accessible right? 

Does anyone know if the Sonos Driver that's on 2.6 would work on 2.3?  If so, it'd be awesome if someone who has it would pull it and share it on this thread.  If it's free then it should be easily accessible right? 

The point of the 2.6 driver (v8) is that it makes use of the new media proxy introduced in that software version.

In fact the Sonos v7.5 driver is limited to 2.5.3 - not sure if there even is any way to get an earlier version of the driver compatible with older C4 system software.

Archived