C4 Forums | Control4

Idea for intercom in new 2.7

So, prior to 2.7 the intercom was the biggest waste of money I had spent in the last 10 years.

I am hoping with the advancements that there are improvements?

I have my new office I put in the basement and I want to have an intercom there but here are the things I am hoping to keep as features:

I don't want to buy another C4 screen. Man they are expensive and 4 (have 2 now, and need 2 more for other rooms) is enough.
I want to have it tie in with SONOS, so it goes through the in-ceilings.
Doesn't need video
Preferably I would like to have it on software. I don't have my office done yet but here is a construction photo. There will be 2 more screens in the room also.

I doesn't have to be two way. If it is even only one way, that would be awesome.

post-131353-0-50854900-1430965837_thumb.

You could use a mobile device that will load SIP software and use its output into one of the line inputs of your Sonos system.  So when a call is received you can have it go through the speakers. In theory it would work.  I am just wondering if the SIP app is able to auto answer the call.  If I have time tonight maybe I'll give it a try.

Hrmm... good idea but I am skeptical.
I was running SIP with the door station and intercoms before and it actually corrupted a touch screen. Had to get it warrantied.

Is the new SIP better? I know there were improvements with it in 2.7 but I am not familiar with the specifics. This would be pretty bad ass. to be able to have someone right the door bell and answer it from anywhere in the world. I would purchase a dedicated android box if that was the case and then run it into the matrix. Then with programming set that on intercom action switch source and ring sip app.

I am just nervous to try it :) lol

I was able to get it to work.  I can make an intercom call and output the audio through my audio zones.  Ended up using the C4 SIP driver and Linphone on my media server and connected the audio output to my audio matrix. I suppose something like this would be good for yelling come to dinner through all the audio zones in the house as no one knows where everyone is sometimes.  It only goes from a touchscreen to the audio system.  The communication is one way unless I am around the computer running the client software where I can talk into the mic.

Good idea.  My wife can actually use this as she can never find me around the house.  lol.

I was able to get it to work.  I can make an intercom call and output the audio through my audio zones.  Ended up using the C4 SIP driver and Linphone on my media server and connected the audio output to my audio matrix. I suppose something like this would be good for yelling come to dinner through all the audio zones in the house as no one knows where everyone is sometimes.  It only goes from a touchscreen to the audio system.  The communication is one way unless I am around the computer running the client software where I can talk into the mic.

Good idea.  My wife can actually use this as she can never find me around the house.  lol.

Awesome! I will try it out tonight. 

Linphone, is that free software?

Just played around with the SIP app on my computer and my phone a bit and  I can actually call the touchscreens from my smartphone and computer as well.  Pretty neat stuff.

LOL you mean step 1? ;)

You had to point that out, didn't you. :)

This thing is awesome now! Anyone who has a door station should definitely check out the new SIP capabilities. It is INSTANT now also.

I haven't got video to work yet, so I will have to fool around a bit but so far this is awesome. Now if I am working in the basement, my wife can intercom me. I also set it up on my cell. The cell won't work unless I am on WIFI because I don't have DNS running, it is all based on local IP only but if I am not int he house.... that is what a voice plan is for :)

This thing is awesome now! Anyone who has a door station should definitely check out the new SIP capabilities. It is INSTANT now also.

Do you only get the SIP capabilities you refer to after you migrate from the Intercom agent to the Communications agent?  Because as far as I know there are some pretty serious issues with the initial implementation of the Communications agent that have been documented by users in other threads.  I don't know if these were addressed in the 2.7.1 upgrade or not.  I really want better SIP, and I have complained many times on here how broken the intercom functionality is, but I don't have any new touchscreens to force me into the communications agent.  And from what I've read I'm not in a hurry.

Hrmm, never tried the communicator agent. I am just using the intercom agent right now. What about you nikon?

Not sure what would have been new in 2.7 then.  I don't think they spent any time on the intercom in 2.7, just on the communications agent.  And I'm not going to waste time with SIP any more in legacy drivers.  Already spent a lot of time on it and it doesn't do much. Sounds like I can tweak it some more to get it where I want but I don't see the point on legacy.

Well I can tell you that for whatever reason, my system using this driver is dramatically different than it was before on the intercom. 
The last time I tried it, it would lock up the screens every second time. Having the doorbell page the phones also was nearly impossible. I would never broadcast to all devices at the same time

So that means I am using the communication agent? It is still listed as "intercom" ... I am confused

I went in and tried to add the communication agent and it told me that I can't  because of the existing intercom drivers I have that are not compatible.

I have upgraded to the communication driver using the wizard but now it removed the sip devices I had added.
All I was doing with the intercom driver before was I added 2 generic sip drivers from C4.
Then I created a username and password for each.
I then refreshed the SIP tab under intercom and both devices were there.
So then I simple added them to the app using the username and password I created and the server as the local IP of my C4 director. It was real simple to set up.

I am actually lost now trying to set up the communication agent.

The driver I used was called "3rd Party Sip Phone". I just did a search with the Boolean checked for onlne.

*edit: Finally just found the communication driver on page 12 when doing a search. The communication one is called "Universal SIP Phone (Communication)"

*edit 2 : I got it all set up again... While I am sure this is more reliable and now I can see how you can use a separate camera.... it is working just as smoothly as it was before. NO better no worse so far. I will hook up a domain to see if I can get this working anywhere in the world. I like that it says right in the documentation we can use grandstream.

edit 3: I wonder if there is some how a way to link a DID to this?

Archived