C4 Forums | Control4

Internet Speeds - picking a new package

eggzlot

Question

My contract is coming to an end.  Looking at some new plans.  Currently have 100/100 and thinking about reupping with 100/100.  Difference is I am now cutting the cord and using Hulu/Netflix vs standard cable boxes.

Its a household of 2, me and the wife.  More than 50% of the time we watch the same stuff together.  But at most we are streaming 2 movies/TV shows/songs, etc.  I am thinking to just stick with 100/100?  It's been fine but we have not been as heavily involved in streaming.  

Info online is hit or miss because it depends on the author - if their intent is to sell higher bandwidth packages they skew their language towards bigger packages and other places make it seem like a household  of 5 is still fine on 100.

All of my streaming devices are hardwired.  I have about 100 IP devices and about 60-70% are always up and online if that matters.

I figured I'd ask here though I am really leaning towards just keeping 100/100.  Its $20/month cheaper and not sure I'll see much improvement with the 300/300 package.

6 answers to this question

Don't think you need the additional upload capacity and the 100 down is plenty for multiple streams etc. Not sure what you have for a router etc, but the Ubiquiti stuff can give you some good metrics on usage and can test the speed provided on intervals so you can really see what you use and what you have. I wouldn't over think it. Get the 100 package and if you find you are really bumping up against it they will allow you to upgrade.

Just now, Pounce said:

Don't think you need the additional upload capacity and the 100 down is plenty for multiple streams etc. Not sure what you have for a router etc, but the Ubiquiti stuff can give you some good metrics on usage and can test the speed provided on intervals so you can really see what you use and what you have. I wouldn't over think it. Get the 100 package and if you find you are really bumping up against it they will allow you to upgrade.

I use a Mikrotik router.  And I have Fing which sends me monthly reports and download/upload is always at 100 if not slightly better - last month I had 114 on the upload.  at the end of the month Fing sends a detailed report about your internet connection speed and latency on a day by day basis.  

I figured 100/100 was enough but was just looking for a second (and I guess 3rd, 4th...) opinion.

I live in the mountains and have horrible Internet speeds (~8 mbps). It sounds like I have a similar setup to you: 2 people, all streaming devices hardwired, don't often have two separate streams going and have many IP connected devices in the house that are always up. We really never have an issue (1080p streams)--even when we do have two streams going--so I'm sure you'll be more than fine with 100. We routinely stream music with Deezer through C4 too and that works great as well.

And consider me VERY envious of your position of even having to worry about upgrading to 300 :)   

1 hour ago, rea said:

I live in the mountains and have horrible Internet speeds (~8 mbps). It sounds like I have a similar setup to you: 2 people, all streaming devices hardwired, don't often have two separate streams going and have many IP connected devices in the house that are always up. We really never have an issue (1080p streams)--even when we do have two streams going--so I'm sure you'll be more than fine with 100. We routinely stream music with Deezer through C4 too and that works great as well.

And consider me VERY envious of your position of even having to worry about upgrading to 300 :)   

thanks that is what i figured.  Just with all the garbage online was just making sure I was good with 100/100

internet speed really means nothing. Need to do some more vigorous multi server testing and straining on the system to get a good idea for what you are looking for. I have 300 / 30 I was able to stream cameras to remote devices , 4 Netflix 1080p streams and 4 music services pandora deeezer amazon and tune in. everything played well with no skipping.

below seems to be one of the most through speed tests i have found

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Archived